Innkeeper Vacations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
With Breakfast Diva's post about their tropical vacation and someone else "hitting the wall:", it made me wonder.....
How many actual days of vacation away from your B&B do you take? This is NOT time off or closed time to do repairs, maintenance, projects, renovations, etc. This is real vacation days where you go somewhere to enjoy down time, recharge, and enjoy time with your significant other or family and friends.
How many days of vacation per year would you like to have as a goal?
What would you do differently with your vacation time?
Do you feel that you currently get enough real vacation time from your business? Or do you think you need to make an adjustment for 2011?
In my review of my business and closing out all the details, I took a look at the vacation time we had in the two years we were open. We had only 14 days away in 2008, 4 days of which were spent with family at Thanksgiving. I had 16 days of vacation in 2009 and 10 of those were spent in the UK in November while my husband was working, except for the last 3 days. All the other "vacation" time that my dh took off from his other job (because he has 4 1/2 weeks that he has to use or lose) were spent working on the inn except for one Friday in 2009 attached to a weekend when he went alone to our nephew's wedding. I also missed my son's graduation from graduate school in 2009 because we had a full house booked in but my dh got to go.
In 2010 since we closed, we have taken 32 total days together of real vacation where we traveled!!! We took advantage of all of dh's vacation and holidays! Woo hoo! I also took 5 days alone to meet up with a friend and 5 days to visit my son. Before we closed this year, I had to block off 5 days from the biz to go take care of one of my brothers when he came home after open heart surgery. Some differences I noticed were that we've been able to take advantage of tacking time on to one of my dh's business trips for a short vacation, join one of my brothers at the last minute, and spend Easter with my family.
This was one of the reasons why we looked at our life priorities when we made the decision to close. I know that it's not something that's possible for everyone. Just food for thought and discussion....

So actual vacation? Where you go someplace with your spouse and not because family is sick or had a baby or someone needs you? These are the days I spent away from the inn with nothing else in mind but relaxing.
Remembering back as far as I can (which isn't far anymore)...
2004- 0 days
2005- 3 days
2006- 7 days
2007- 4 days
2008- 4 days
2009- 4 days
2010- 4 days
So, you've had more vacation in 9 months than I've had in 7 years. I don't think I want to talk about it anymore.
cry_smile.gif

We have had 5 days this year so far but are closed for three days over christmas.
regular_smile.gif
but i have closed out the compter for this week and am mainly relaxing and catching up with my marketing for next year but that isn't stressful. What is driving me up the wall is our telephone can't accept incomming calls and they can't send an enginere till tomorro (that will be the 4th day) they have diverted through my mobile as a temporary measure but means only I can answer the phone if it is with me. GRRR

These numbers really start to hit you in the face when you realize what "regular" 9 to 5'ers get off each year in the US...52 weekends plus about 7 paid holidays plus an average 10 vacation/sick days to use...that equals 121. Now multiply that by the number of years you've run your inn and see how much time you have to make up to yourself! We owe ourselves almost a year and half off!!!!

Over the years our vacation time has become more of a priority. Even with that said, it's pathetic that we get so little time off! But that is the nature of most people who own and operate a small business.
2010 - had 8 family members here for 2 weeks and had innsitter which took a great amount of my private time because they weren't experienced enough (our regular innsitters were already booked). It was stressful for me because I was worried about the biz AND entertaining that many family was NOT a vacation for me, but I was away from the inn, so technically, vacation. Then our 9 days we just took.
2009 - 12 days
2008 - 15 days
2007 - 10 days
2006 - 21 days (went to Tonga & New Zealand - BEST VACATION EVER!!)

We have had 5 days this year so far but are closed for three days over christmas.
regular_smile.gif
but i have closed out the compter for this week and am mainly relaxing and catching up with my marketing for next year but that isn't stressful. What is driving me up the wall is our telephone can't accept incomming calls and they can't send an enginere till tomorro (that will be the 4th day) they have diverted through my mobile as a temporary measure but means only I can answer the phone if it is with me. GRRR.
Catching up with marketing isn't a vacation!!! At least take a day trip somewhere....that's my point. :) I don't think that innkeepers take very good care of themselves.........

So actual vacation? Where you go someplace with your spouse and not because family is sick or had a baby or someone needs you? These are the days I spent away from the inn with nothing else in mind but relaxing.
2004- 0 days
2005- 3 days
2006- 7 days
2007- 4 days
2008- 4 days
2009- 4 days
2010- 4 days
So, you've had more vacation in 9 months than I've had in 7 years. I don't think I want to talk about it anymore.
cry_smile.gif
That was my point. :-( So sorry....
Again, how about answering these questions? Maybe there's something that we all should take time for.
How many days of vacation per year would you like to have as a goal?
What would you do differently with your vacation time?
Do you feel that you currently get enough real vacation time from your business? Or do you think you need to make an adjustment for 2011?
I had more vacation and other time off and made more money also when I had a corporate job. I'm definitely thinking about these things......

These numbers really start to hit you in the face when you realize what "regular" 9 to 5'ers get off each year in the US...52 weekends plus about 7 paid holidays plus an average 10 vacation/sick days to use...that equals 121. Now multiply that by the number of years you've run your inn and see how much time you have to make up to yourself! We owe ourselves almost a year and half off!!!!.
Well, I've never had a "regular 9 to 5" job...I always worked a lot more hours than a 40 hr work week in my corporate career, but I did also try to take my vacation time mostly because it was a use or lose situation. And Americans don't take as much time off compared to other countries.
I think when you have a family crisis or something happens that makes you think about human mortality you think about these things.....

Over the years our vacation time has become more of a priority. Even with that said, it's pathetic that we get so little time off! But that is the nature of most people who own and operate a small business.
2010 - had 8 family members here for 2 weeks and had innsitter which took a great amount of my private time because they weren't experienced enough (our regular innsitters were already booked). It was stressful for me because I was worried about the biz AND entertaining that many family was NOT a vacation for me, but I was away from the inn, so technically, vacation. Then our 9 days we just took.
2009 - 12 days
2008 - 15 days
2007 - 10 days
2006 - 21 days (went to Tonga & New Zealand - BEST VACATION EVER!!).
Actually, I also started musing about this because I was recently talking to some friends that own a restaurant. They take plenty of time off! Made me think....

2004- 0 days
2005- 3 days
2006- 7 days
2007- 4 days
2008- 4 days
2009- 4 days
2010- 4 days
cry_smile.gif
Well we aren't innkeepers any longer and we haven't taken a vacation in 2 years. I don't really feel like I need one. I mean people travel to come here...so why should we leave??? Of course we have had some health issues that kept us here..and now...I REALLY don't want to fly anywhere. Maybe this year we will be up to taking some short days off.

2004- 0 days
2005- 3 days
2006- 7 days
2007- 4 days
2008- 4 days
2009- 4 days
2010- 4 days
cry_smile.gif
Well we aren't innkeepers any longer and we haven't taken a vacation in 2 years. I don't really feel like I need one. I mean people travel to come here...so why should we leave??? Of course we have had some health issues that kept us here..and now...I REALLY don't want to fly anywhere. Maybe this year we will be up to taking some short days off.
Awwww, come on....I remember all your great photos of Ireland! See, I LOVE to travel. If I had a bunch of money, that would be all that I would do. Well, that's not going to happen....lol! But, we're going to do what we can.
My dh informed me last week that he is probably going back to the UK on business at least once next year. Did I want to go?? Uh, yes!! That was one of the opportunities that I seized when we had the B&B. I wasn't going to miss it. The only thing that I asked was if we could rent a car this time. As much as I love York, I want to get out more. Maybe I can go visit Camberley. :)

2004- 0 days
2005- 3 days
2006- 7 days
2007- 4 days
2008- 4 days
2009- 4 days
2010- 4 days
cry_smile.gif
Awwww, come on....I remember all your great photos of Ireland! See, I LOVE to travel. If I had a bunch of money, that would be all that I would do. Well, that's not going to happen....lol! But, we're going to do what we can.
My dh informed me last week that he is probably going back to the UK on business at least once next year. Did I want to go?? Uh, yes!! That was one of the opportunities that I seized when we had the B&B. I wasn't going to miss it. The only thing that I asked was if we could rent a car this time. As much as I love York, I want to get out more. Maybe I can go visit Camberley. :)
Oh yes...Ireland and Italy but that was 3 and 4 years ago sad to say.That was before my back problems kicked in big time...in fact...that last 8 hours coming back from Italy was actually the beginning of it all!!!! My body just cannot stand another 8 hours in an airplane!!!! As much as I would love to go back...it just isn't going to happen...unless a miracle occurs :)

2004- 0 days
2005- 3 days
2006- 7 days
2007- 4 days
2008- 4 days
2009- 4 days
2010- 4 days
cry_smile.gif
Oh yes...Ireland and Italy but that was 3 and 4 years ago sad to say.That was before my back problems kicked in big time...in fact...that last 8 hours coming back from Italy was actually the beginning of it all!!!! My body just cannot stand another 8 hours in an airplane!!!! As much as I would love to go back...it just isn't going to happen...unless a miracle occurs :)
All the more reason for those of us who are still healthy enough and enjoy traveling to do it now when it's still enjoyable. I love to travel and it's one of the real down sides of this business to me.

Since 2004 our "vacations" where being closed for the winter-other than that when we owned the B & B we did not "GO" anywhere for a vacation.
Now in 2010 since we are employed Innkeepers we get a week's vacation with the job-we are taking it for Christrmas-its delightful and I can't wait to get away from the Inn and literaly not WORRY about it one single bit or worry about "loss" of income...loving it!

I am going to take a month in 2011 when I go to Germany in June.
2001 we went to Utah as part of the WV delegation (at our own expense) for an Outdoor Wriiters Conference and we took 10 days after that to visit friends and family on the way home.
2007 took 3 weeks for a daughter's wedding in Iowa. Went out a week before to travel there, spent a week there getting ready for the wedding, and took a week to come home to visit other friends & family via a different route.
Other than that I consider Conferences & workshops that I attend for the City or the B & B as my vacations. I am where I really want to be so taking a vacation is not a big deal to me. I did my traveling when DH was mobile and the kids were home. Travel with him today is a real chore as he is using 2 crutches to walk and gets the Gold Star on his forehead for adhering to his diet - there are only a few restaurants that have something for both of us and I DO get tired of Subway (not really what I want). Going to Charleston for the PAII Conference is vacation to me. I was of the variety that if I did not have to go back to work to rest up, it was not a good vacation.

I'll just put a plug in here for the workshop topic I am doing at the conference in Charleston in January...9:45am on Wed. Jan. 12th, 2011
Who works 24/7 with no paid vacation?
If you have ever considered hiring an Inn-sitter, but have been reluctant or have done so with less than stellar results, then you won't want to miss this workshop. Hear from a panel of Innkeepers and Inn-sitters who will share their experience in what steps, communication and information lead to a successful experience for the Innkeeper and most importantly your guests.
My theory is you CAN get away and you CAN afford it and you NEED to!
Who else do you know that works as hard as you do and then doesn't take time off for a vacation? It is not healthy or fun for you or your guests for you to be stressed.

I'll just put a plug in here for the workshop topic I am doing at the conference in Charleston in January...9:45am on Wed. Jan. 12th, 2011
If you have ever considered hiring an Inn-sitter, but have been reluctant or have done so with less than stellar results, then you won't want to miss this workshop. Hear from a panel of Innkeepers and Inn-sitters who will share their experience in what steps, communication and information lead to a successful experience for the Innkeeper and most importantly your guests.
Who else do you know that works as hard as you do and then doesn't take time off for a vacation? It is not healthy or fun for you or your guests for you to be stressed..
suellen222 said:
Who else do you know that works as hard as you do and then doesn't take time off for a vacation? It is not healthy or fun for you or your guests for you to be stressed.
I would be dead in the water without a paddle without my innsitters. THey are absolutely the BOMB.
Riki

vacation?
Let's see I went to a friend's 10th Xmas party this last weekend, he had invited me 10x and this was the first time I MADE MYSELF get away
I had regular guests wanting to stay, told them they could, for free, just take care of the poodles
My best friend's husband had a stroke and I was not there to help her or take care of her dogs.
The "alternate" dog sitter had pneumonia ......
I had a burst pipe the day before I left
The plumber forgot to open a valve so my OTHER regular guest who takes care of herself (no breakfast) called me to say she had no water in the cottage, had to call the plumber back in
We had high winds and my back gate apparently kept blowing open, a friend of mine had to basically seal it shut
THATS why I don't get away!! But I had a wonderful time, with SOMEONE ELSE making ME coffee!!

Don't feel badly, Al. I am in the same boat. I love what I do and my City needs this so I will hang in ther and hope I can make it better next year. I am married to a CUBS fan - that is their mantra so DH understands. HE would miss the guests - and has said so. I would not be able to go to Germany if my cousin was not sending me a ticket. It is going to strain a lot of things to get the "spending money" I will need. I do not mind operating with little $$ (Thank goodness for the job with the City - City does not pay much but I actually have "walking around" money now. I have never had an abundance of money - we considered "enough" only having to rob Peter to pay Paul during the winter when the heating biulls were highest and taxes were due - speakijng of which I still have real estate hanging over me. DARN! Forgot it! Imsurance due this month too.
Fortunately I LIKE where I am. I am content to be here.

Don't feel badly, Al. I am in the same boat. I love what I do and my City needs this so I will hang in ther and hope I can make it better next year. I am married to a CUBS fan - that is their mantra so DH understands. HE would miss the guests - and has said so. I would not be able to go to Germany if my cousin was not sending me a ticket. It is going to strain a lot of things to get the "spending money" I will need. I do not mind operating with little $$ (Thank goodness for the job with the City - City does not pay much but I actually have "walking around" money now. I have never had an abundance of money - we considered "enough" only having to rob Peter to pay Paul during the winter when the heating biulls were highest and taxes were due - speakijng of which I still have real estate hanging over me. DARN! Forgot it! Imsurance due this month too.
Fortunately I LIKE where I am. I am content to be here..
gillumhouse said:
Fortunately I LIKE where I am. I am content to be here.
Me too.

Back