Innkeepers with kids

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WP - you are scaring me!
I agree, when Mom gets CRAZY over something they were supposed to do or not do, like put their hand in a waste basket - they will grow up to be clean freaks. I HOPE SO!
Right now they sure aren't. Another reason GUESTS CANNOT GO NEAR their room or bathroom. We added their bath (ground floor) brand new - to be accessable for those who can't do stairs well, also. NOPE! No guests will ever see that bathroom. I have 8 bathrooms to clean, I ain't cleanin' theirs too.
I do not go in there, when I go in blood shoots out of my eyes. The veins in my neck rear up! So they are "encouraged" to be as clean as possible, but they won't do it. They are basically pigs.
Holidays OFF! DAYS OFF!
This is for everyone tho, not just those with kids. Take time for each other. The others in your family circle will hate and regret the B&B. Give them some time and attention away from it as well. We schedule days off.
In fact WED we are going to Charlotte NC for DH to ride 3 laps at 180 mph at Lowe's Motor Speedway (I will buy him some depends before we leave). Meanwhile we will swim in the hotel pool, get ice from an ice bucket and eat junk food at Jack in the Box (we don't have them in this state). Ohhh how we are all looking for to it. No chores there. Just nothing but nothing to do..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
In fact WED we are going to Charlotte NC for DH to ride 3 laps at 180 mph at Lowe's Motor Speedway
Hey, let him take the class and DRIVE the car himself! Hubs LOVED this. He's done it twice so far.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
In fact WED we are going to Charlotte NC for DH to ride 3 laps at 180 mph at Lowe's Motor Speedway
Hey, let him take the class and DRIVE the car himself! Hubs LOVED this. He's done it twice so far.
He wanted the speed versus driving it himself the first time. He will probably do that next time. For now he wanted the 24% banking at top speed.
There is always NEXT Christmas - I think I finally found a gift that he likes! I know he wants to do the driving class as well...
I know an Innkeeper in GA who is not far from Tallageda, so that might be the next track he hits.
wink_smile.gif

We have strong beliefs, and plan to homeschool, but we're not stupid. We know what kind of world we live in and have no intention of "shielding" our children from the way things really are. Already they have discovered a neighbor boy their age to play with, and already they have discovered that neighbor boys can tell them to do things that are bad and they have to decide if they want to do them or not. (OK, we're talking 4 yo's... "bad" means eating leaves and pooping in the yard.)
It will happen. We will talk about it. They'll grow up working hard with a useful skill set.
If the door is open, it's open. We go out.
We can't go yard saling in the summer, but so far it looks like we can do all kinds of things in the winter.
We take payment on arrival. Yesterday I had to buzz off after breakfast to make a presentation. Told the people goodbye and off I went. Dh left without clearing the table, but also left. One guest left before he did. The others were in the process of leaving when we returned. Door was locked.
We can't get an early start on things (gotta make the breakfast), but we still go and do as much as we can. No check in's on Saturday, so we went Malabar Farm State Park for a wonderful afternoon. We missed the morning activities, but still had a great time.
Nope, not easy. But doable (at least, so far). But I only have four rooms, which I think makes a big difference.
=)
Kk..
Yellowsocks, I am curious about your homeschooling thoughts. We have been homeschooling for the past three years and plan on doing it for as long as we can. How old are your children? We love it a lot, but that happens to be our biggest concern: how to manage the schedules of both. Another person who posted stated that I should "imagine" myself in a situation at work and then put my family there in my head to see how it would be. My daughter loves coming into work with me and working in the kitchen and cleaning the rooms with the housekeepers. My son loves to come into work and be outside with the groundskeeper. They each know what "guest space" is and know that the kitchen is "servant's quarters"!!!
That has been the best thing for us so far is the fact that I've been able to gently meld the two lifestyles together.
But we still wonder/stress out about the homeschooling. Neither myself, nor my husband want to give that up.
If you don't want to give it up, then don't!
As others have posted, homeschooling doesn't have to take all day, and doesn't have to be as structured as a public or private school setting where 20-30 kids have to sit down and listen all at once.
My kids are twin 4 year old boys and haven't actually started "formal" schooling yet. (Sorry to the regulars on the forum who are probably sick of hearing about them!) I grew up working hard on a farm, but the ability to select a hereford heifer hasn't been a useful skill set as an adult. I was looking for a business where I could stay home with them, and where they could be involved, and where they could work hard. B&B filled that niche, and promises to be all I need it to be, and more! Already they clear the table when the guests are done, dry silverwear, and schlep things up and down the stairs.
Our busy season is July, and our slow season is winter, so we hope to be able to homeschool somewhat on a regular school year. But I don't anticipate homeschooling to be a "now we're on, now we're off" kind of thing, but a more fluid, constant lesson type of experience. We'll have books, and I'll have a plan, but that's because of who I am and what I know I want my boys to learn.
My sister thinks I want to homeschool to shelter my kids from the harsh reality of the real world. No, not really. They've already found a neighbor boy to exert peer pressure on them. They've already had to ask questions about why people do what they do. We have religious convictions, but we understand that lots of people don't and we try to meet people where they are and accept them how they are, which is how I hope my children will be. Mostly I want to homeschool because I was bored silly in school.... and I was the youngest in my class! I sat in the back row in first grade and cut my bangs... bored, bored, bored. I want them challenged and stretched academically, and I can't afford private school, so homeschool is the plan.
I have to say that I have a ton of respect for public school teachers! I love teaching, but I don't want their job! And, in deference to my sister (who has become quite the public school advocate now that both of her siblings are homeschooling), we live in a wonderful town with excellent schools so that if homeschooling doesn't work out we have a great system to send our kids to.
Growing up none of us kids were in organized sports... we lived out on the farm and didn't get into town much. Sports would have required rides and physicals and things my parents weren't willing to do. As none of us were overly athletic (strong as an ox, but not athletic) it was fine. (We did do marching band and other extra curricular stuff...) Anyway, one of my sons will probably never care if he's on a sports team or not. The other, however, seems to be a natural born athlete. It is because of him that they were already enrolled in gymnastics for a while. I can see him in soccer and softball and my dh and I having to coordinate schedules to allow him to play. I have learned that our school system has a program where homeschoolers can be enrolled "part time" (take two classes) and be able to particpate in extra curricular activities such as football, baseball, and band. I am pretty sure that I'll be having to coordinate our schedules when he's old enough to play on the school teams!
Before we moved to Ohio and started the B&B I was a tutor at a tutorial service for homeschooled kids. It was run like a school, but only two days a week. I have met many, many homeschooled kids and their parents and I can tell you that homeschooling is not for everybody! Some kids do better in a school-like environment. Some moms aren't in charge enough, not scheduled enough, not focused enough, not enough in control of their homes to make it work. I know my personality will be fine, and I enjoy my kids, so no worries on that front. We'll have to see how it goes for the boys, though, and adjust as necessary.
So, don't know if that answers your question/concern. I think (hope) homeschooling will be flexible enough that we can take care of guests and then go do our school (we only have four rooms). As another posted, public schools can be quite demanding on children's time... after being there all day they usually have homework, plus assemblies, parent-teacher meetings, concerts, sports teams, etc. etc. I think it doesn't matter... if you've got kids you've got more people in your life to schedule around, regardless of how and where they are educated. I'll be hopping either way. But at least my kids can sleep in in the morning, and learn computer skills in a real world setting, and meet people from all over, and a million other benefits that I think will more than outweigh the costs.
=)
Kk.
Yellowsocks, Thank you for your long post. It helped out a lot. I think it WILL be okay. Maybe not right at first, but after we get into the swing of things, it will really be okay. My daughter is very indepenent and aware of her schooling/studies. My son, on the other hand, is more aware of how much he would rather be doing ANYTHING else. I am hoping that with age (he'll be 9 next month) will come maturity with his studies.
I can't imagine not having my kids with me/around me/near me/"hanging with me" on a daily basis. I only work 15-18 hours a week and some hours from home. Up until 19 months ago, I had only ever been a stay-at-home mom. Now, this opportunity has presented itself to me in the form of a B&B lifestyle and my husband and I are going to go for it.
This has been an eye-opening thread.
Thank you to all who posted. I know I'm new, but I have a feeling, I'm going to be a regular fixture on this site.
On another note, does anyone know where the best sites are to find B&Bs for sale? I know of bbonline.com, paii.org, bedandbreakfast.com, and bnbfinder.com, but I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
emspiers said:
I only work 15-18 hours a week and some hours from home.
When we're in peak season (July) with a full house, I work 15-16 hours per DAY. Long term, I'm hoping it may decrease, but for now it's my reality. OTOH, come January I'll be reorganizing the pantry...
Just be aware... B&B = long days and hard work!!!
=)
Kk.

We have strong beliefs, and plan to homeschool, but we're not stupid. We know what kind of world we live in and have no intention of "shielding" our children from the way things really are. Already they have discovered a neighbor boy their age to play with, and already they have discovered that neighbor boys can tell them to do things that are bad and they have to decide if they want to do them or not. (OK, we're talking 4 yo's... "bad" means eating leaves and pooping in the yard.)
It will happen. We will talk about it. They'll grow up working hard with a useful skill set.
We can't go yard saling in the summer, but so far it looks like we can do all kinds of things in the winter.
We take payment on arrival. Yesterday I had to buzz off after breakfast to make a presentation. Told the people goodbye and off I went. Dh left without clearing the table, but also left. One guest left before he did. The others were in the process of leaving when we returned. Door was locked.
We can't get an early start on things (gotta make the breakfast), but we still go and do as much as we can. No check in's on Saturday, so we went Malabar Farm State Park for a wonderful afternoon. We missed the morning activities, but still had a great time.
Nope, not easy. But doable (at least, so far). But I only have four rooms, which I think makes a big difference.
=)
Kk..
Yellowsocks, I am curious about your homeschooling thoughts. We have been homeschooling for the past three years and plan on doing it for as long as we can. How old are your children? We love it a lot, but that happens to be our biggest concern: how to manage the schedules of both. Another person who posted stated that I should "imagine" myself in a situation at work and then put my family there in my head to see how it would be. My daughter loves coming into work with me and working in the kitchen and cleaning the rooms with the housekeepers. My son loves to come into work and be outside with the groundskeeper. They each know what "guest space" is and know that the kitchen is "servant's quarters"!!!
That has been the best thing for us so far is the fact that I've been able to gently meld the two lifestyles together.
But we still wonder/stress out about the homeschooling. Neither myself, nor my husband want to give that up.
As others have posted, homeschooling doesn't have to take all day, and doesn't have to be as structured as a public or private school setting where 20-30 kids have to sit down and listen all at once.
My kids are twin 4 year old boys and haven't actually started "formal" schooling yet. (Sorry to the regulars on the forum who are probably sick of hearing about them!) I grew up working hard on a farm, but the ability to select a hereford heifer hasn't been a useful skill set as an adult. I was looking for a business where I could stay home with them, and where they could be involved, and where they could work hard. B&B filled that niche, and promises to be all I need it to be, and more! Already they clear the table when the guests are done, dry silverwear, and schlep things up and down the stairs.
Our busy season is July, and our slow season is winter, so we hope to be able to homeschool somewhat on a regular school year. But I don't anticipate homeschooling to be a "now we're on, now we're off" kind of thing, but a more fluid, constant lesson type of experience. We'll have books, and I'll have a plan, but that's because of who I am and what I know I want my boys to learn.
My sister thinks I want to homeschool to shelter my kids from the harsh reality of the real world. No, not really. They've already found a neighbor boy to exert peer pressure on them. They've already had to ask questions about why people do what they do. We have religious convictions, but we understand that lots of people don't and we try to meet people where they are and accept them how they are, which is how I hope my children will be. Mostly I want to homeschool because I was bored silly in school.... and I was the youngest in my class! I sat in the back row in first grade and cut my bangs... bored, bored, bored. I want them challenged and stretched academically, and I can't afford private school, so homeschool is the plan.
I have to say that I have a ton of respect for public school teachers! I love teaching, but I don't want their job! And, in deference to my sister (who has become quite the public school advocate now that both of her siblings are homeschooling), we live in a wonderful town with excellent schools so that if homeschooling doesn't work out we have a great system to send our kids to.
Growing up none of us kids were in organized sports... we lived out on the farm and didn't get into town much. Sports would have required rides and physicals and things my parents weren't willing to do. As none of us were overly athletic (strong as an ox, but not athletic) it was fine. (We did do marching band and other extra curricular stuff...) Anyway, one of my sons will probably never care if he's on a sports team or not. The other, however, seems to be a natural born athlete. It is because of him that they were already enrolled in gymnastics for a while. I can see him in soccer and softball and my dh and I having to coordinate schedules to allow him to play. I have learned that our school system has a program where homeschoolers can be enrolled "part time" (take two classes) and be able to particpate in extra curricular activities such as football, baseball, and band. I am pretty sure that I'll be having to coordinate our schedules when he's old enough to play on the school teams!
Before we moved to Ohio and started the B&B I was a tutor at a tutorial service for homeschooled kids. It was run like a school, but only two days a week. I have met many, many homeschooled kids and their parents and I can tell you that homeschooling is not for everybody! Some kids do better in a school-like environment. Some moms aren't in charge enough, not scheduled enough, not focused enough, not enough in control of their homes to make it work. I know my personality will be fine, and I enjoy my kids, so no worries on that front. We'll have to see how it goes for the boys, though, and adjust as necessary.
So, don't know if that answers your question/concern. I think (hope) homeschooling will be flexible enough that we can take care of guests and then go do our school (we only have four rooms). As another posted, public schools can be quite demanding on children's time... after being there all day they usually have homework, plus assemblies, parent-teacher meetings, concerts, sports teams, etc. etc. I think it doesn't matter... if you've got kids you've got more people in your life to schedule around, regardless of how and where they are educated. I'll be hopping either way. But at least my kids can sleep in in the morning, and learn computer skills in a real world setting, and meet people from all over, and a million other benefits that I think will more than outweigh the costs.
=)
Kk.
Yellowsocks, Thank you for your long post. It helped out a lot. I think it WILL be okay. Maybe not right at first, but after we get into the swing of things, it will really be okay. My daughter is very indepenent and aware of her schooling/studies. My son, on the other hand, is more aware of how much he would rather be doing ANYTHING else. I am hoping that with age (he'll be 9 next month) will come maturity with his studies.
I can't imagine not having my kids with me/around me/near me/"hanging with me" on a daily basis. I only work 15-18 hours a week and some hours from home. Up until 19 months ago, I had only ever been a stay-at-home mom. Now, this opportunity has presented itself to me in the form of a B&B lifestyle and my husband and I are going to go for it.
Thank you to all who posted. I know I'm new, but I have a feeling, I'm going to be a regular fixture on this site.
On another note, does anyone know where the best sites are to find B&Bs for sale? I know of bbonline.com, paii.org, bedandbreakfast.com, and bnbfinder.com, but I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
emspiers said:
When we're in peak season (July) with a full house, I work 15-16 hours per DAY. Long term, I'm hoping it may decrease, but for now it's my reality. OTOH, come January I'll be reorganizing the pantry...
=)
Kk.
We've been on that schedule since May...
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

WP - you are scaring me!
I agree, when Mom gets CRAZY over something they were supposed to do or not do, like put their hand in a waste basket - they will grow up to be clean freaks. I HOPE SO!
Right now they sure aren't. Another reason GUESTS CANNOT GO NEAR their room or bathroom. We added their bath (ground floor) brand new - to be accessable for those who can't do stairs well, also. NOPE! No guests will ever see that bathroom. I have 8 bathrooms to clean, I ain't cleanin' theirs too.
I do not go in there, when I go in blood shoots out of my eyes. The veins in my neck rear up! So they are "encouraged" to be as clean as possible, but they won't do it. They are basically pigs.
Holidays OFF! DAYS OFF!
This is for everyone tho, not just those with kids. Take time for each other. The others in your family circle will hate and regret the B&B. Give them some time and attention away from it as well. We schedule days off.
In fact WED we are going to Charlotte NC for DH to ride 3 laps at 180 mph at Lowe's Motor Speedway (I will buy him some depends before we leave). Meanwhile we will swim in the hotel pool, get ice from an ice bucket and eat junk food at Jack in the Box (we don't have them in this state). Ohhh how we are all looking for to it. No chores there. Just nothing but nothing to do..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
He wanted the speed versus driving it himself the first time. He will probably do that next time. For now he wanted the 24% banking at top speed.
There is always NEXT Christmas - I think I finally found a gift that he likes! I know he wants to do the driving class as well...
I know an Innkeeper in GA who is not far from Tallageda, so that might be the next track he hits.
wink_smile.gif

Hubs goes to Loudon, NH...not far from other innkeepers...

=)
Kk..
=)
Kk.
emspiers said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
emspiers said:
=)
Kk.
A VERY good point. Depending on the size of the B&B, have a staff, etc. will alter the number of hours you will spend 'working'. It is truely a misconception that people that 'work at home' have more free or off time than if working in an office environment. If you home school you will have a very full plate. I am not saying this to say it can not be done, only to advise you of the life you may encounter.

=)
Kk..
=)
Kk.
emspiers said:
=)
Kk.
Your peak season is my sloooooooooow season. Although, last week was very busy!!!
I am working on marketing :)

Back