Innkeepers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, people have funny conceptions of what being an innkeeper is.
I have an elderly neighbor who told me she had been an "innkeeper" here in the past. In reality, what she did was rent out one room during a big event here and sent those folks out to a local breakfast place for breakfast, which was not included. There was no housekeeping during their stay & no food of any kind. It was a place to sleep when everyone and their uncle were renting out rooms for this huge event.
Definitely not the same as what I did for two years........
The funny thing that occurred to me about a year after I opened the B&B is that my maternal grandmother ( who I never met) ran a boarding house during the depression. So now I can say that innkeeping is in my blood!
Innkeep said:
The funny thing that occurred to me about a year after I opened the B&B is that my maternal grandmother ( who I never met) ran a boarding house during the depression. So now I can say that innkeeping is in my blood!
Same here. My grandmother told me I am following in her mother's footsteps except she raked it in and ended up owning loads of blocks of land and housing in San Diego, Pacific Beach waterfront, all over...I am just here scrubbin' bogs. Although we are probably meeting more interesting people from all over than the boarding house.
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeep said:
Same here. My grandmother told me I am following in her mother's footsteps except she raked it in and ended up owning loads of blocks of land and housing in San Diego, Pacific Beach waterfront, all over...I am just here scrubbin' bogs. Although we are probably meeting more interesting people from all over than the boarding house.
wink_smile.gif
My great-grandmother ran an establishment in the 'red-light' district of Philly durning and immediately after WWI. Talk about interesting people... ;)
And the Gillums had roomers. A lady in town who is now 91 lived in our Rosi's Room - with another girl during WWII. We have also had a guest who lived here the first winter she taught school - in Lumberport (about 3 miles) because her parents did not want her to make the trip between Fairmont & Lumberport with ice & snow (distance - about 15 miles, max if they lived in town).

I have an elderly neighbor who told me she had been an "innkeeper" here in the past. In reality, what she did was rent out one room during a big event here and sent those folks out to a local breakfast place for breakfast, which was not included. There was no housekeeping during their stay & no food of any kind. It was a place to sleep when everyone and their uncle were renting out rooms for this huge event.
Innkeep said:
I have family in Ireland who ran a guest house for years. Maybe it is genetic...

Innkeep said:
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeep said:
wink_smile.gif
My great-grandmother ran an establishment in the 'red-light' district of Philly durning and immediately after WWI. Talk about interesting people... ;)
Wonder if they knew each other? My grandmother was in Philly too!
Edited to add that she was born in Ireland.

Innkeep said:
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeep said:
wink_smile.gif
Wonder if they knew each other? My grandmother was in Philly too!
Edited to add that she was born in Ireland.
My great-grandmother was born in Spain. Came over around 1900 or so. Lived there for a while until they moved to the Cleveland area.

Innkeep said:
I have family in Ireland who ran a guest house for years. Maybe it is genetic...
Alibi Ike said:
Innkeep said:
Likewise, only my relations still run theirs. :)

Back