Innkeepers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Anyone ever have someone check in that claims that they are an innkeeper... but aren't? I lookup up their home address, it's a single family dwelling. Looked up their name, doesn't show up on google. Email address. Nothing seems to indicate that they are. Why would you tell us a story like that? Don't you think we are going to ask more about your business?
Incidentally, this guest walked in at 11AM today. I asked them to wait a minute since I was doing something and I needed to code the door for them. They walked into the dining room and took a banana without asking. They asked if we put out cookies or something in the afternoon (I don't and they law wouldn't allow it in any case, since it's not breakfast.)
Just odd.

No real innkeeper would attempt to check in at 11AM! Just saying
wink_smile.gif

Did you ask them the name of their inn? Maybe they thought you would be all excited and give them a discount..HA HA...And I second that..no real innkeeper would be checking in at 11 am without contacting you about that first. Ignore them!

If you've checked and they're not it might have been a volley in the 'gimme a discount' game.
But, now that you know, I would be asking all about their business and where it is and how they are faring in this economy and all the questions we usually get from guests who really are innkeepers. We trade guest stories. We trade recipes. We trade scam stories. Maybe that's YOUR return volley...'So, have you been getting the latest scam emails from the 8 Orthodox Greek priests? We get so many scams here it's amazing!' <Ball in their court>
11 AM, walking in and taking things, asking for more food later on? (Probably wondering if the fruit is all they're going to see and if so, take it now.) Just doesn't sound right. HOWEVER, I will say I have met some pretty obnoxious/pushy/overbearing innkeepers over my own dining room table, so I don't scoff at much.

certainly not! I would perhapse ask if I could park up and check in at the usuall time but even then I would ring in advance and check.

Now and again we have aspirings stay or the "oh we've always wanted to run a B&B what is it like?" but thats a different kettle of fish. They fall into two groups 1. - people who I think will actually do it and 2. people who will never do it. I am happy to help group 1 but group 2 are always the ones who think its a bit of dusting and you are free for the rest of the day and I have no patience with those people.

An innkeeper would never say that line without "and we run the so-and-so country inn" or whatever the name of the B&B would be. I have never met any who would not tell you that in the same breath.

Well, I was sure they weren't really innkeepers when we said that the room wasn't ready until 3PM and she suggested that we didn't have a lot of work to do. (ie the eating bonbons and waiting for them misconception.) Between that, the idea that it's okay to take fruit at 11AM when you aren't legally checked in. The expecting us to serve them tea and crumpets. And now the sitting in their room with the TV at top volume... I know they aren't innkeepers.
And frankly, they aren't getting any further discounts, they already got the USD at par deal.
Now... how far across the barrel do I really want to put them? There are so many questions I can ask, starting with where it's located (when I already have their address) and how can you afford to take time off in the busy summer season.

Well, I was sure they weren't really innkeepers when we said that the room wasn't ready until 3PM and she suggested that we didn't have a lot of work to do. (ie the eating bonbons and waiting for them misconception.) Between that, the idea that it's okay to take fruit at 11AM when you aren't legally checked in. The expecting us to serve them tea and crumpets. And now the sitting in their room with the TV at top volume... I know they aren't innkeepers.
And frankly, they aren't getting any further discounts, they already got the USD at par deal.
Now... how far across the barrel do I really want to put them? There are so many questions I can ask, starting with where it's located (when I already have their address) and how can you afford to take time off in the busy summer season..
If you want to engage, I'd definitely ask the name and location. And how the season is looking. And who is their prime target. And are they seeing the change over from baby boomers to Gen X yet.
So, they're from my side of the border, right? Ask them how the gas prices are impacting business. How about food prices. Are they able to find housekeeping in this economy.
Are they from 'nearby' like VT or upstate NY? Ask how they were impacted by the 5-6 inches of rain last week or the tornados.
Then again, if you don't want to engage because, seriously, they sound like they're from Cambs's 'Hotel Inspector' show, I'd just be your charming self until the door shuts behind them (well after check-out no doubt).
I hate the implication that you're not busy by saying you don't have a lot to do. That annoys me no end and definitely says they're not running their own business by themselves. If they are inn owners maybe they have staff doing everything so they are clueless.

Yes, I can feel the dilemma. You can have some fun with them or stay the gracious innkeeper you are and let it go. Me, I would let it go, they have bad karma and it will catch up with them someday, sometime.........

Now... how far across the barrel do I really want to put them? There are so many questions I can ask, starting with where it's located (when I already have their address) and how can you afford to take time off in the busy summer season..
If you want to engage, I'd definitely ask the name and location. And how the season is looking. And who is their prime target. And are they seeing the change over from baby boomers to Gen X yet.
So, they're from my side of the border, right? Ask them how the gas prices are impacting business. How about food prices. Are they able to find housekeeping in this economy.
Are they from 'nearby' like VT or upstate NY? Ask how they were impacted by the 5-6 inches of rain last week or the tornados.
Then again, if you don't want to engage because, seriously, they sound like they're from Cambs's 'Hotel Inspector' show, I'd just be your charming self until the door shuts behind them (well after check-out no doubt).
I hate the implication that you're not busy by saying you don't have a lot to do. That annoys me no end and definitely says they're not running their own business by themselves. If they are inn owners maybe they have staff doing everything so they are clueless.
They are from south of our border, but on the other pond, not this one, if you get what I mean. I may have a little fun by asking a bit about it and let them know that the jig is up. But I don't want them to feel too uncomfortable, unless of course, they push back.
You could be right, they could have an inn and have staff and be completely clueless. But then if they did, why would they staying with me, instead of a top hotel. B&Bs around here aren't luxury accomodations. The room they have is my smallest (likely because it was the only available at the time) and has shared bath.
Alibi Ike said:

Just checking in for a few minutes. @ Fred's girlfriend's daughter & everyone else speaks Deutche of course. Her granddaughter is here also & she does not see them very often - so I am butting out as much as is polite.
Re subject of thread: I cannot imagine a real innkeeper just helping themselves to anything unless it was offered first, arriving without calling (especially @ 11 AM), and as JB said, I am an innkeeper, I have the xxxxxx in xxxxxxx.
Munich tomorrow. Hamburg Wednesday.

Just checking in for a few minutes. @ Fred's girlfriend's daughter & everyone else speaks Deutche of course. Her granddaughter is here also & she does not see them very often - so I am butting out as much as is polite.
Re subject of thread: I cannot imagine a real innkeeper just helping themselves to anything unless it was offered first, arriving without calling (especially @ 11 AM), and as JB said, I am an innkeeper, I have the xxxxxx in xxxxxxx.
Munich tomorrow. Hamburg Wednesday..
Be careful eating in Hamburg....E coli outbreak there....:-(

Is it mean to drop into the conversation something like "Oh, the housekeeper loves when other innkeepers come to stay, they always make their own bed, they keep their room very neat and they leave the biggest tips."
Is that mean?
PS: Asked for feather pillow last night. Does anyone use feather anymore with all the allergies?

Is it mean to drop into the conversation something like "Oh, the housekeeper loves when other innkeepers come to stay, they always make their own bed, they keep their room very neat and they leave the biggest tips."
Is that mean?
PS: Asked for feather pillow last night. Does anyone use feather anymore with all the allergies?.
We have down duvets. I have feather pillows for those guests who ask.
I'm telling ya, they sound like the Hotel Inspector show!

Is that mean?
PS: Asked for feather pillow last night. Does anyone use feather anymore with all the allergies?.
Oh, I LOVE IT! Good for you!!!

Is that mean?
If they want to play innkeeper why not let them know how generous all the other innkeepers have been...

I've had several other innkeepers stay here, almost all lovely but two of them were PITA's. One really took advantage of us, asking for discounts for them and their friends and then extending their stay last minute, all the while looking down their noses while here and writing a snarky review on TA about us. Another showed up early to check in and had a partner who was a PITA, but didn't ask us for a discount in advance. A third made a reservation using membership in Select Registry to get a 50% discount, then cancelled within hours even though the reservation was for the next day. Turned out they had recently sold their inn and weren't innkeepers any longer anyway. Even having been burned a few times I tend to give other innkeepers the benefit of the doubt, whether I've met them or not. Like most guests, the majority are lovely wonderful people and there are a few bad apples!

Is that mean?
Still haven't said the B&B, but they continued with it. Said that they aren't the owners and it's just three rooms. She's making it sound like she eats bonbons all day long. Just a quick dust and it's done and I can run down to the beach.
How do you do arrivals? Just make them show up at 3PM to 4PM? All those beds to make, rooms to clean, bathrooms to clean, house to sweep, dishes from breakfast, etc. And of course, the spouse goes out to work. This must be a hobby instead of a business.

Is that mean?
Still haven't said the B&B, but they continued with it. Said that they aren't the owners and it's just three rooms. She's making it sound like she eats bonbons all day long. Just a quick dust and it's done and I can run down to the beach.
How do you do arrivals? Just make them show up at 3PM to 4PM? All those beds to make, rooms to clean, bathrooms to clean, house to sweep, dishes from breakfast, etc. And of course, the spouse goes out to work. This must be a hobby instead of a business.
So they don't own it, they don't live in it (or their address would have shown the B&B) and all they do is a quick dust and they're done? They're pulling your leg. However, they don't own it. So they may only HAVE to do a quick dust after breakfast and then off to the beach. Cooking breakfast for 6 is not overly hard, they may do a very laid back brekkie, maybe only continental. One seating at 8:30, get the guests out the door, finished with cleaning by noon at the beach by 12:15. Back by 3. (Maybe that's why they checked in early...so they would catch you before you hit the sand.)
They don't have to do the books. They don't have to market. But how could the owner afford to pay them?
We'll never know. If they're not sharing with you, they're probably not really innkeepers. They're probably just winding you up.

Back