Innkeepers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it mean to drop into the conversation something like "Oh, the housekeeper loves when other innkeepers come to stay, they always make their own bed, they keep their room very neat and they leave the biggest tips."
Is that mean?
PS: Asked for feather pillow last night. Does anyone use feather anymore with all the allergies?.
We have down duvets. I have feather pillows for those guests who ask.
I'm telling ya, they sound like the Hotel Inspector show!
Still haven't said the B&B, but they continued with it. Said that they aren't the owners and it's just three rooms. She's making it sound like she eats bonbons all day long. Just a quick dust and it's done and I can run down to the beach.
How do you do arrivals? Just make them show up at 3PM to 4PM? All those beds to make, rooms to clean, bathrooms to clean, house to sweep, dishes from breakfast, etc. And of course, the spouse goes out to work. This must be a hobby instead of a business.
So they don't own it, they don't live in it (or their address would have shown the B&B) and all they do is a quick dust and they're done? They're pulling your leg. However, they don't own it. So they may only HAVE to do a quick dust after breakfast and then off to the beach. Cooking breakfast for 6 is not overly hard, they may do a very laid back brekkie, maybe only continental. One seating at 8:30, get the guests out the door, finished with cleaning by noon at the beach by 12:15. Back by 3. (Maybe that's why they checked in early...so they would catch you before you hit the sand.)
They don't have to do the books. They don't have to market. But how could the owner afford to pay them?
We'll never know. If they're not sharing with you, they're probably not really innkeepers. They're probably just winding you up.
Every time it gets possible that they are what they say, something happens that throws it back again. Way past midday and haven't budged from the room. Put out their wet towels in the hallway for others to trip over. Maybe they are just on vacation and think they should act as badly as their guests act? I guess we are going to have to hope they leave for dinner to finally get in there to clean.
Honestly, I still don't get the people who use towels once. Do people really do that at home? Use a towel once and then wash it. If you know how to properly shower then you are clean and so is the towel. It is only wet. It doesn't need to be washed, it needs to be hung to dry.

Is it mean to drop into the conversation something like "Oh, the housekeeper loves when other innkeepers come to stay, they always make their own bed, they keep their room very neat and they leave the biggest tips."
Is that mean?
PS: Asked for feather pillow last night. Does anyone use feather anymore with all the allergies?.
Still haven't said the B&B, but they continued with it. Said that they aren't the owners and it's just three rooms. She's making it sound like she eats bonbons all day long. Just a quick dust and it's done and I can run down to the beach.
How do you do arrivals? Just make them show up at 3PM to 4PM? All those beds to make, rooms to clean, bathrooms to clean, house to sweep, dishes from breakfast, etc. And of course, the spouse goes out to work. This must be a hobby instead of a business.
So they don't own it, they don't live in it (or their address would have shown the B&B) and all they do is a quick dust and they're done? They're pulling your leg. However, they don't own it. So they may only HAVE to do a quick dust after breakfast and then off to the beach. Cooking breakfast for 6 is not overly hard, they may do a very laid back brekkie, maybe only continental. One seating at 8:30, get the guests out the door, finished with cleaning by noon at the beach by 12:15. Back by 3. (Maybe that's why they checked in early...so they would catch you before you hit the sand.)
They don't have to do the books. They don't have to market. But how could the owner afford to pay them?
We'll never know. If they're not sharing with you, they're probably not really innkeepers. They're probably just winding you up.
Every time it gets possible that they are what they say, something happens that throws it back again. Way past midday and haven't budged from the room. Put out their wet towels in the hallway for others to trip over. Maybe they are just on vacation and think they should act as badly as their guests act? I guess we are going to have to hope they leave for dinner to finally get in there to clean.
Honestly, I still don't get the people who use towels once. Do people really do that at home? Use a towel once and then wash it. If you know how to properly shower then you are clean and so is the towel. It is only wet. It doesn't need to be washed, it needs to be hung to dry.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
If you know how to properly shower then you are clean and so is the towel. It is only wet. It doesn't need to be washed, it needs to be hung to dry.
I know you've said this before but I have to say you're wrong. Skin flakes are on there, bodily fluids may be on there (all sorts, from all sorts of places), someone could have a cut, a runny nose, menstruating, all kinds of reasons that towel is not just wet with water. Towels cannot be used indefinitely. If it was just water, they could. I don't like changing towels out everyday and most guests don't ask us to. But, if I walk by a towel on day 1 and it reeks, out it goes. It's not that the guest is uneducated in the 'proper' bathing technique.
(And yes, we find all kinds of stuff on the towels that should have been washed off. You have to just deal with it.)

Is that mean?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
If you know how to properly shower then you are clean and so is the towel. It is only wet. It doesn't need to be washed, it needs to be hung to dry.
I know you've said this before but I have to say you're wrong. Skin flakes are on there, bodily fluids may be on there (all sorts, from all sorts of places), someone could have a cut, a runny nose, menstruating, all kinds of reasons that towel is not just wet with water. Towels cannot be used indefinitely. If it was just water, they could. I don't like changing towels out everyday and most guests don't ask us to. But, if I walk by a towel on day 1 and it reeks, out it goes. It's not that the guest is uneducated in the 'proper' bathing technique.
(And yes, we find all kinds of stuff on the towels that should have been washed off. You have to just deal with it.)
we are same some people hang up their towels (ie not to change) but they are absolutely soaking we change them then or of they look dirty (ie may have been wiping shoes or all sorts with them) its a case of applying common sense.

Is that mean?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
I take towels that are dirty. But some people never reuse a towel, ever. They might wipe their hands and then put it on the floor to be replaced. I had a guest who asked for four extra towels, because he showered very often. And each towel was never reused.
There is a difference between a dirty towel that needs to be replaced and a towel that that can be used a second time. Do you honestly never reuse a towel yourself? Do you honestly wash each and every towel every single day?

Just checking in for a few minutes. @ Fred's girlfriend's daughter & everyone else speaks Deutche of course. Her granddaughter is here also & she does not see them very often - so I am butting out as much as is polite.
Re subject of thread: I cannot imagine a real innkeeper just helping themselves to anything unless it was offered first, arriving without calling (especially @ 11 AM), and as JB said, I am an innkeeper, I have the xxxxxx in xxxxxxx.
Munich tomorrow. Hamburg Wednesday..
Be careful eating in Hamburg....E coli outbreak there....:-(
Cucumbers & tomatoes from Spain. Produce at the Commisary is clearly marked what country it is from, NOT Spain. I am safe - I do not eat salad!
Eric, I have one room with no feathers for allergy guests but have feather pillows in the other rooms and I do not dry my face with a towel that dried my butt. Yes, I want a clean towel every shower!

Just checking in for a few minutes. @ Fred's girlfriend's daughter & everyone else speaks Deutche of course. Her granddaughter is here also & she does not see them very often - so I am butting out as much as is polite.
Re subject of thread: I cannot imagine a real innkeeper just helping themselves to anything unless it was offered first, arriving without calling (especially @ 11 AM), and as JB said, I am an innkeeper, I have the xxxxxx in xxxxxxx.
Cucumbers & tomatoes from Spain. Produce at the Commisary is clearly marked what country it is from, NOT Spain. I am safe - I do not eat salad!
Eric, I have one room with no feathers for allergy guests but have feather pillows in the other rooms and I do not dry my face with a towel that dried my butt. Yes, I want a clean towel every shower!
Hi, trust you are having a good time in Germany! Don't be scared but they have not found the source yet. Spanish cucmbers are probably ok. The latest is that they now suspect the source to be Tauge (or Sprossen as the gemans call it). Just don't eat anything raw....

Is that mean?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
I take towels that are dirty. But some people never reuse a towel, ever. They might wipe their hands and then put it on the floor to be replaced. I had a guest who asked for four extra towels, because he showered very often. And each towel was never reused.
There is a difference between a dirty towel that needs to be replaced and a towel that that can be used a second time. Do you honestly never reuse a towel yourself? Do you honestly wash each and every towel every single day?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Dirty is in the eye of the beholder. I reuse towels. In my family of origin we had one set of towels and everyone used them until wash day came up. So I have no fear of 'used' towels. I actually have my own towel now. I don't share. I consider this a big step up in the world- not having to share a towel with 3 other people.
Some people don't reuse. Humor them. I'll bet it's less than 5% of your guests who want new towels all the time. Some people think it's a luxury to have new towels everyday. Humor them. It's a tiny little luxury in a big, bad world.
So, are you also asking if I don't just hang up the towels I find on the floor? No, I don't. If a guest puts towels on the floor everyday of a weeklong stay, they get washed everyday.

Is that mean?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Dirty is in the eye of the beholder. I reuse towels. In my family of origin we had one set of towels and everyone used them until wash day came up. So I have no fear of 'used' towels. I actually have my own towel now. I don't share. I consider this a big step up in the world- not having to share a towel with 3 other people.
Some people don't reuse. Humor them. I'll bet it's less than 5% of your guests who want new towels all the time. Some people think it's a luxury to have new towels everyday. Humor them. It's a tiny little luxury in a big, bad world.
So, are you also asking if I don't just hang up the towels I find on the floor? No, I don't. If a guest puts towels on the floor everyday of a weeklong stay, they get washed everyday.
Rest assure if the guest puts it on the floor, hangs it anywhere it isn't supposed to be except for those hangers that say "to re-use towel" they get washed. I'm just surprised when people change them daily. And even if they are hung up, if they are clearly dirty, then go into the wash. If I am low on whites, they go into the wash. But I reuse a towel. I don't use them once to wipe my hands and then go and get another.

Hi, trust you are having a good time in Germany! Don't be scared but they have not found the source yet. Spanish cucmbers are probably ok. The latest is that they now suspect the source to be Tauge (or Sprossen as the gemans call it). Just don't eat anything raw....
it was on the news this morning they think it was bean sprouts from one particular farm.

The left. No tip for the housekeeper. Told me the name of their B&B... can't find it on the web. Too high maintenance to be real.

I am safe. I do not eat raw vegetables. Too hard on the jaws!

Is that mean?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Rest assure if the guest puts it on the floor, hangs it anywhere it isn't supposed to be except for those hangers that say "to re-use towel" they get washed. I'm just surprised when people change them daily. And even if they are hung up, if they are clearly dirty, then go into the wash. If I am low on whites, they go into the wash. But I reuse a towel. I don't use them once to wipe my hands and then go and get another.
I am not talking about a hand towel. Sheesh! Of course I reuse a hand towel. I DO want a clean bath towel every time I shower!

Well, people have funny conceptions of what being an innkeeper is.
I have an elderly neighbor who told me she had been an "innkeeper" here in the past. In reality, what she did was rent out one room during a big event here and sent those folks out to a local breakfast place for breakfast, which was not included. There was no housekeeping during their stay & no food of any kind. It was a place to sleep when everyone and their uncle were renting out rooms for this huge event.
Definitely not the same as what I did for two years.......

I have an elderly neighbor who told me she had been an "innkeeper" here in the past. In reality, what she did was rent out one room during a big event here and sent those folks out to a local breakfast place for breakfast, which was not included. There was no housekeeping during their stay & no food of any kind. It was a place to sleep when everyone and their uncle were renting out rooms for this huge event.
Definitely not the same as what I did for two years........
True in this country if you did that you would probably say "Oh I do a bit of B&B from time to time" for example both my aunts did this one is what we call a theatrical landlady as lives near the theater in a big city and always has actors and ballerinas popping in and out. they make their own breakfast mind cos they keep odd hours. My other aunt was involved in lots of charities and church things so was always taking people for that. Neither would say they run a b&B though. Its a different kettle of fish.

Is that mean?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thank you for saying this. As a BandB guest, I love having fresh, clean towels every day! At home, I do reuse my towels (just for me, such a luxury to have my own towels; I too grew up "sharing"). When I am away from home, I miss some things, like my own bed, but I like some things, like fresh towels every day, and someone else making the bed.
regular_smile.gif

True in this country if you did that you would probably say "Oh I do a bit of B&B from time to time" for example both my aunts did this one is what we call a theatrical landlady as lives near the theater in a big city and always has actors and ballerinas popping in and out. they make their own breakfast mind cos they keep odd hours. My other aunt was involved in lots of charities and church things so was always taking people for that. Neither would say they run a b&B though. Its a different kettle of fish.
A different kettle of fish indeed!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

The funny thing that occurred to me about a year after I opened the B&B is that my maternal grandmother ( who I never met) ran a boarding house during the depression. So now I can say that innkeeping is in my blood!

The funny thing that occurred to me about a year after I opened the B&B is that my maternal grandmother ( who I never met) ran a boarding house during the depression. So now I can say that innkeeping is in my blood!
Innkeep said:
Same here. My grandmother told me I am following in her mother's footsteps except she raked it in and ended up owning loads of blocks of land and housing in San Diego, Pacific Beach waterfront, all over...I am just here scrubbin' bogs. Although we are probably meeting more interesting people from all over than the boarding house.
wink_smile.gif

Innkeep said:
Same here. My grandmother told me I am following in her mother's footsteps except she raked it in and ended up owning loads of blocks of land and housing in San Diego, Pacific Beach waterfront, all over...I am just here scrubbin' bogs. Although we are probably meeting more interesting people from all over than the boarding house.
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeep said:
wink_smile.gif
My great-grandmother ran an establishment in the 'red-light' district of Philly durning and immediately after WWI. Talk about interesting people... ;)

Back