Innkeeping Conference

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya! will be interesting to see what effect the economy will have on attendance of both vendors and participants. And, with the Mid Atlantic Conference in Warm Springs in January.

I would love to go. But for that price I can go on a 7 day cruise. Anyone want to cruise, we can make our own workshops around the pool.
embaressed_smile.gif

(Sorry but that is the way it with THIS innkeeper)
WAIT! I just added in the lodging (not to mention the cost to getthere - flying and fuel - and food) Two of us can cruise for that price.
I know Jay will be on here to chastise soon enough. Sorry gang.

Ouch! I thought that they were going to try & keep the cost down. It's cheaper to pay for the conference as a non-member than to join & pay as a member. I have a place that I can stay for free but it's still a chunk of change at $600 for the early registration.

I would love to go. But for that price I can go on a 7 day cruise. Anyone want to cruise, we can make our own workshops around the pool.
embaressed_smile.gif

WAIT! I just added in the lodging (not to mention the cost to getthere - flying and fuel - and food) Two of us can cruise for that price.
I know Jay will be on here to chastise soon enough. Sorry gang..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif

You know I would LOVE that! If we could get Swirt to do a coding class and everyone else volunteered to teach something they're good at...we could make a go of it! (I'll volunteer for 'how to fold fitted sheets'. Ha, ha.)

I only said that because my skill set is pretty thin...I don't cook, I can't get stains out of anything, my coding is a joke. Please, just let me teach the class on how to fold sheets!

embaressed_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif

You know I would LOVE that! If we could get Swirt to do a coding class and everyone else volunteered to teach something they're good at...we could make a go of it! (I'll volunteer for 'how to fold fitted sheets'. Ha, ha.)
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif

I know how to fold them, put them on a hanger.
wink_smile.gif

If this is how you do it, I am going to admit I am the least patient person in the entire world - I could nor or would not fold them like this ever. I don't have room to barely stand up in our laundry room, I am not hauling them onto my bed with cat hair on it. THis is even lenghtier than the other dude.

embaressed_smile.gif

I'm game for a cruise! Where are we going? Aruba????

embaressed_smile.gif

I am with you. I could never justify $600 for a Conference. And MABB members thought OURS were expensive!!

embaressed_smile.gif

MTLLodge said:
I've always wanted to go to the Caymans...

embaressed_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif

I know how to fold them, put them on a hanger.
wink_smile.gif

If this is how you do it, I am going to admit I am the least patient person in the entire world - I could nor or would not fold them like this ever. I don't have room to barely stand up in our laundry room, I am not hauling them onto my bed with cat hair on it. THis is even lenghtier than the other dude.
I actually fold fitted sheets like that!! But there's a step in there at the end that I thinking I'm messing up because mine are never quite that square
sad_smile.gif
I'll have to double check my technique. tee hee....

I heard from a little birdie that there's going to be a mid-west conference in January (in Indiana, I think). The cruise sounds better...
=)
Kk.

I wouldn't call this a chastising. Just a few thoughts as I watch the All Star game late tonight.
Everyone has to make their own judgment call on what is a good value, worth investing in, etc. Just like your potential guests have to make a judgment on whether or not to pay your fees for the experience at your inn. While people argue, negotiate and protest on price, price is never the issue - it's value. Is the price worth what you hope to get in return? If what you get in return is greater than the price, then the value is a good one. Why do some people pay $10 per ticket to go out to see a movie in the movie theater and others now pay $1 to rent a DVD at many McDonald’s locations now? They like the experience, which can’t quite be duplicated at home, and they’re willing to pay for it. What might be ridiculous to one is a source of joy for another.
Of course I’m going to state that coming to the Innkeeping Conference & Trade Show is a good value. If it wasn’t a good value, it wouldn’t have survived the many years PAII has been running the event. We do our very best to keep the costs low. It’s quite a challenge, when most hotels that can host a meeting our size charge $80 per gallon for coffee. We invest a great deal in getting the best possible speakers and thought-leaders to make innkeepers think critically about their business and the future of the hospitality and lodging business. We gather 80+ vendors to allow easy tire-kicking and shopping for your business. We have the Great Innkeeper Idea Fair, putting on stage some of the best innkeeping ideas from among the attendees in a contest format (a heckofalot of fun). If it wasn’t for the exhibitors that come to the Trade Show, the conference would be a big money loser. In other words, the $399 registration fee alone doesn’t pay for the conference.
The learning and camaraderie that take place on forums like this are fantastic. So many innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers have benefited greatly from such technology. I participate in similar forums in my own association – the American Society of Association Executives. But, as I think many of you will agree, nothing replaces the face-to-face experience of a well-run conference. I have attended the ASAE meeting every year for the past 10 years, even though the registration fee for members is $800. I learn a great deal from my peers and thought-leaders who speak at the conference over 4 days, which I carry back to PAII. It’s expensive, but it’s worth it. Otherwise, I wouldn’t go.
The same is true for the hundreds and hundreds (I’m sure over the years thousands) of innkeepers who have come to the PAII event. 99% and 97% of attendees the last two years respectively have rated the event as Good or Excellent. We also offer a money-back guarantee. If you attend the conference and afterwards feel it was a poor value, we’ll give you our registration fee back. We also have a new “conference protection” plan available, which would refund you the entire conference registration fee if you have to cancel for any reason, at any time. That protection is free if you register by August 15, and only $25 after August 15. Between the conference protection and money-back guarantee, you are really minimizing your risk. Atlanta is one of the most accessible cities to reach by air in the world. Hundreds of cities around the country have direct flights into Atlanta. Direct flights USUALLY mean lower fares. And, since the host hotel is on the MARTA route, no one is required to rent a car. And I would venture to say (even though it may be no consolation) that the fee for attending the Innkeeping Conference is lower-than-average for a national or international trade association annual event.
For those innkeepers who have all the business they can handle, I can understand taking a pass on coming to such a conference. But even many of those innkeepers (running at 85%+ occupancy year round) come to the event, because they know it’s vitally important to stay on top of their game. We are making great efforts to include “higher education” for experienced innkeepers, so you don’t see only classes that gear towards newer innkeepers.
We know how difficult it can be to make such an investment and leave your inns behind for a few days. Our board of directors is very, very sensitive to this – as innkeepers and former innkeepers, they know exactly where you’re coming from. You have some choices in today’s innkeeping industry, and I’ll never criticize someone for choosing a local event (i.e. state B&B association) over PAII. I’m an advocate of conferences at all levels (as long as they’re run well). We are happy to promote any of the state, regional or local conferences on our industry calendar of events and in IQ magazine. But I think it’s hard to replicate the energy, networking, idea-sharing and sheer volume of learning opportunities that takes place among hundreds of innkeepers, rather than a few dozen or a few score.
When the economy is hurting, it’s like a double-edge sword for associations. On the one hand, money may be tight, so association members may look at conferences as dispensable education. On the other hand, members are also eager to learn new ideas and strategies to fight against the tide and beat the economy. Not everyone loses business during difficult times.
What kind of CEO would I be if I didn’t defend the value of our conference?
regular_smile.gif
I wouldn’t chastise anyone for comparing the possibility of attending your industry’s conference to a cruise, or just questioning the price tag. I’m 100% confident it’s worth every innkeeper’s time and money no matter where you’re from or how long you’ve been doing it, or at least 97% or 99% confident (see above).
My best to everyone working hard and living the innkeeper life. Sorry for the tome – the baseball game is moving slowly.
Jay Karen
PAII CEO
PS: To Samster's comment, you must have missed the asterisk on the price for non-members. The $200 difference between the member and non-member price automatically includes your first year membership in PAII. The $600 some of you are speaking about includes a membership. Some people may say “I’d never spend that kind of money on a conference;” just like a lot of people say “I’d never spend that kind of money on staying at a B&B.” Enough people must think it’s worthwhile, or the B&B or conference must close its doors, right? Don’t you wish you could put your most satisfied and loyal customers in the room with your most skeptical potential guests, or if you could get those skeptical guests to just experience it? Imagine the increase in business! I’d bet if the skeptics came to today’s PAII conference or spoke with the satisfied attendees from Myrtle Beach or Anaheim, you’d feel differently. But, we can’t win them all…so we’ll just put out the best possible conference we can and hope to reach, educate and connect as many innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers as we can.

I wouldn't call this a chastising. Just a few thoughts as I watch the All Star game late tonight.
Everyone has to make their own judgment call on what is a good value, worth investing in, etc. Just like your potential guests have to make a judgment on whether or not to pay your fees for the experience at your inn. While people argue, negotiate and protest on price, price is never the issue - it's value. Is the price worth what you hope to get in return? If what you get in return is greater than the price, then the value is a good one. Why do some people pay $10 per ticket to go out to see a movie in the movie theater and others now pay $1 to rent a DVD at many McDonald’s locations now? They like the experience, which can’t quite be duplicated at home, and they’re willing to pay for it. What might be ridiculous to one is a source of joy for another.
Of course I’m going to state that coming to the Innkeeping Conference & Trade Show is a good value. If it wasn’t a good value, it wouldn’t have survived the many years PAII has been running the event. We do our very best to keep the costs low. It’s quite a challenge, when most hotels that can host a meeting our size charge $80 per gallon for coffee. We invest a great deal in getting the best possible speakers and thought-leaders to make innkeepers think critically about their business and the future of the hospitality and lodging business. We gather 80+ vendors to allow easy tire-kicking and shopping for your business. We have the Great Innkeeper Idea Fair, putting on stage some of the best innkeeping ideas from among the attendees in a contest format (a heckofalot of fun). If it wasn’t for the exhibitors that come to the Trade Show, the conference would be a big money loser. In other words, the $399 registration fee alone doesn’t pay for the conference.
The learning and camaraderie that take place on forums like this are fantastic. So many innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers have benefited greatly from such technology. I participate in similar forums in my own association – the American Society of Association Executives. But, as I think many of you will agree, nothing replaces the face-to-face experience of a well-run conference. I have attended the ASAE meeting every year for the past 10 years, even though the registration fee for members is $800. I learn a great deal from my peers and thought-leaders who speak at the conference over 4 days, which I carry back to PAII. It’s expensive, but it’s worth it. Otherwise, I wouldn’t go.
The same is true for the hundreds and hundreds (I’m sure over the years thousands) of innkeepers who have come to the PAII event. 99% and 97% of attendees the last two years respectively have rated the event as Good or Excellent. We also offer a money-back guarantee. If you attend the conference and afterwards feel it was a poor value, we’ll give you our registration fee back. We also have a new “conference protection” plan available, which would refund you the entire conference registration fee if you have to cancel for any reason, at any time. That protection is free if you register by August 15, and only $25 after August 15. Between the conference protection and money-back guarantee, you are really minimizing your risk. Atlanta is one of the most accessible cities to reach by air in the world. Hundreds of cities around the country have direct flights into Atlanta. Direct flights USUALLY mean lower fares. And, since the host hotel is on the MARTA route, no one is required to rent a car. And I would venture to say (even though it may be no consolation) that the fee for attending the Innkeeping Conference is lower-than-average for a national or international trade association annual event.
For those innkeepers who have all the business they can handle, I can understand taking a pass on coming to such a conference. But even many of those innkeepers (running at 85%+ occupancy year round) come to the event, because they know it’s vitally important to stay on top of their game. We are making great efforts to include “higher education” for experienced innkeepers, so you don’t see only classes that gear towards newer innkeepers.
We know how difficult it can be to make such an investment and leave your inns behind for a few days. Our board of directors is very, very sensitive to this – as innkeepers and former innkeepers, they know exactly where you’re coming from. You have some choices in today’s innkeeping industry, and I’ll never criticize someone for choosing a local event (i.e. state B&B association) over PAII. I’m an advocate of conferences at all levels (as long as they’re run well). We are happy to promote any of the state, regional or local conferences on our industry calendar of events and in IQ magazine. But I think it’s hard to replicate the energy, networking, idea-sharing and sheer volume of learning opportunities that takes place among hundreds of innkeepers, rather than a few dozen or a few score.
When the economy is hurting, it’s like a double-edge sword for associations. On the one hand, money may be tight, so association members may look at conferences as dispensable education. On the other hand, members are also eager to learn new ideas and strategies to fight against the tide and beat the economy. Not everyone loses business during difficult times.
regular_smile.gif
I wouldn’t chastise anyone for comparing the possibility of attending your industry’s conference to a cruise, or just questioning the price tag. I’m 100% confident it’s worth every innkeeper’s time and money no matter where you’re from or how long you’ve been doing it, or at least 97% or 99% confident (see above).
My best to everyone working hard and living the innkeeper life. Sorry for the tome – the baseball game is moving slowly.
Jay Karen
PAII CEO
PS: To Samster's comment, you must have missed the asterisk on the price for non-members. The $200 difference between the member and non-member price automatically includes your first year membership in PAII. The $600 some of you are speaking about includes a membership. Some people may say “I’d never spend that kind of money on a conference;” just like a lot of people say “I’d never spend that kind of money on staying at a B&B.” Enough people must think it’s worthwhile, or the B&B or conference must close its doors, right? Don’t you wish you could put your most satisfied and loyal customers in the room with your most skeptical potential guests, or if you could get those skeptical guests to just experience it? Imagine the increase in business! I’d bet if the skeptics came to today’s PAII conference or spoke with the satisfied attendees from Myrtle Beach or Anaheim, you’d feel differently. But, we can’t win them all…so we’ll just put out the best possible conference we can and hope to reach, educate and connect as many innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers as we can..
I agree with what you say. Maybe some year you might want to actually consider doing a PAII Conference Cruise. Would be interesting to see the reaction to that kind of thing. That truly would be a "captive audience."
I often told my boss this was something he should consider doing....too bad he never did.
Best of luck.

regular_smile.gif
Jay Karen
PAII CEO
PS: To Samster's comment, you must have missed the asterisk on the price for non-members. The $200 difference between the member and non-member price automatically includes your first year membership in PAII. The $600 some of you are speaking about includes a membership. Some people may say “I’d never spend that kind of money on a conference;” just like a lot of people say “I’d never spend that kind of money on staying at a B&B.” Enough people must think it’s worthwhile, or the B&B or conference must close its doors, right? Don’t you wish you could put your most satisfied and loyal customers in the room with your most skeptical potential guests, or if you could get those skeptical guests to just experience it? Imagine the increase in business! I’d bet if the skeptics came to today’s PAII conference or spoke with the satisfied attendees from Myrtle Beach or Anaheim, you’d feel differently. But, we can’t win them all…so we’ll just put out the best possible conference we can and hope to reach, educate and connect as many innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers as we can..
I agree with what you say. Maybe some year you might want to actually consider doing a PAII Conference Cruise. Would be interesting to see the reaction to that kind of thing. That truly would be a "captive audience."
I often told my boss this was something he should consider doing....too bad he never did.
Best of luck.
catlady said:
Best of luck.
B&B and COUNTRY INN MARKETPLACE has a cruise.
f you currently own a B&B or you are an aspiring innkeeper, you may be interested in attending our Marketing Seminars at Sea. We will be cruising to Roatan, Belize City and Cozumel on Norwegian Cruise Line.
Food and lodging included...good bang for your buck. SURE it is not the PAII speakers line up and SURE that is GREAT VALUE - but not for my pennies.
Again, disclaimer - this is an INNKEEPER FORUM so we are able to share freely our opinions on products, events, and organizations if we choose. They are also free to come here and share their information with us. If I had the $ for the conference it would go toward more reno's on the B&B if it went toward business, or my 20th wedding anniversary. Gotta have a break sometime from this biz.

muirford said:
attending our Marketing Seminars at Sea.
Wouldn't work for me - I get seasick
sad_smile.gif
. Not too impressed with their choice of speakers on that cruise.
And how do you put the quotes in?
Quote button at the bottom of the post, is that what you mean? I agree, not that fond of the speakers on the seminars at sea. But I am fond of the sea.
wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
Jay Karen
PAII CEO
Best of luck.
catlady said:
Best of luck.
B&B and COUNTRY INN MARKETPLACE has a cruise.
f you currently own a B&B or you are an aspiring innkeeper, you may be interested in attending our Marketing Seminars at Sea. We will be cruising to Roatan, Belize City and Cozumel on Norwegian Cruise Line.
Food and lodging included...good bang for your buck. SURE it is not the PAII speakers line up and SURE that is GREAT VALUE - but not for my pennies.
Again, disclaimer - this is an INNKEEPER FORUM so we are able to share freely our opinions on products, events, and organizations if we choose. They are also free to come here and share their information with us. If I had the $ for the conference it would go toward more reno's on the B&B if it went toward business, or my 20th wedding anniversary. Gotta have a break sometime from this biz.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
sad_smile.gif

muirford said:
sad_smile.gif
And how do you put the quotes in?
Quote button at the bottom of the post, is that what you mean? I agree, not that fond of the speakers on the seminars at sea. But I am fond of the sea.
wink_smile.gif
UH OH I just looked ... I agree with you. But sounds like a nice cruise!

regular_smile.gif
Jay Karen
PAII CEO
OK...my apologies, if I register by 12/01/08 I get a "free" one year membership to PAII which is a $16 savings for me over joining PAII first and then registering for the conference
regular_smile.gif

I'm actually considering going to the conference as it's within driving distance for me & I have free lodging elsewhere. It's just bad timing to think of this when we're in our slow time. I've been to a PAII conference before & did get quite a bit out of it.

Catlady's remark made me look - chain me over a roaring bonfire first!! After meeting her, I dropped that Directory. I refuse to give one penny of my money to her!

Back