Innkeeping in the 21st Century

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Two friends and I organized a regional innkeepers get-together and we had a great time meeting area innkeepers and gabbing about all kinds of stuff. Early on a comment was made that when one innkeeper started most of the confirmations went out by snail mail and only a handful by email, and now, only 3-4 years later, it's completely reversed.
This really set the tone of the meeting as we discussed online reservations and marketing... maybe not every B&B wants their own website or online booking, but if we're being realistic, the world has changed a LOT in only 3-4 short years... things are different now!
How are you changing with the times?
=)
Kk.

Not enough, I'm afraid.
But, 6 years ago when I was spending January trying to create a website, I never thought it would look the way it does today! And had no idea I'd be Tweeting, writing a blog or have a fan page on FB!

4 years ago to today - huge changes - I also saw that Apple is working hard so websites are viewable entirely on iPhones (and whatever technology they add the rest follow currently) so this is great for us who have bigger websites with images not viewable accurately on handheld internet devices. I am bringing this up as this was a problem for inn websites about 2 years ago and they are now trying to fix that. So instead of us simplifying they will create the technology to meet the www. :)
Snail mailing within the last 5 years just shows they were behind the times. Anyone reading this who sends snail mail is getting red in the face right now as I type this - but if a guest has email - there is no reason to waste valuable time, resources (trees and money) to send it postal. If it is a gift certificate presented as a gift that is another story - but I have even sent gift certificates PDF to the recipient they can print it out on their end.
Please, I implore you - get rid of the index cards - if you own a business please operate it like a business. If you are on this forum it shows you are an exceptional innkeeper and NOT behind the times. As the saying goes "Get with the program" :) No offense intended at all, just want you to operate with ease vs making every thing you do a chore. All of these things are time savers, energy savers, you can put that toward better use.
If anyone is starting out - don't reinvent the wheel there are excellent professional systems in place like RezOvation where you can have the whole ball of wax - you can have online reservations, credit card processing, guest management, reporting, statements, anything you want or need and it is right there already developed to meet your needs. Heck look here they can even build your website for you - Microsoft Gold certified, google analytics etc : http://www.rezovation.com/

4 years ago to today - huge changes - I also saw that Apple is working hard so websites are viewable entirely on iPhones (and whatever technology they add the rest follow currently) so this is great for us who have bigger websites with images not viewable accurately on handheld internet devices. I am bringing this up as this was a problem for inn websites about 2 years ago and they are now trying to fix that. So instead of us simplifying they will create the technology to meet the www. :)
Snail mailing within the last 5 years just shows they were behind the times. Anyone reading this who sends snail mail is getting red in the face right now as I type this - but if a guest has email - there is no reason to waste valuable time, resources (trees and money) to send it postal. If it is a gift certificate presented as a gift that is another story - but I have even sent gift certificates PDF to the recipient they can print it out on their end.
Please, I implore you - get rid of the index cards - if you own a business please operate it like a business. If you are on this forum it shows you are an exceptional innkeeper and NOT behind the times. As the saying goes "Get with the program" :) No offense intended at all, just want you to operate with ease vs making every thing you do a chore. All of these things are time savers, energy savers, you can put that toward better use.
If anyone is starting out - don't reinvent the wheel there are excellent professional systems in place like RezOvation where you can have the whole ball of wax - you can have online reservations, credit card processing, guest management, reporting, statements, anything you want or need and it is right there already developed to meet your needs. Heck look here they can even build your website for you - Microsoft Gold certified, google analytics etc : http://www.rezovation.com/ .
Well said!!!
I am so surprised when I find someone doesn't have a website of their own and think its is no big deal. Your guests won't take you serious if you don't. Think of yourself as the guest and no website. I just move on to the next.
I would never send snail mail. Even if I would get snail mail from an innkeeper I would think boy are they behind the times. I don't even snail mail my bills anymore. I am surprised at my self that I can do so much. Of course I need to do more with tec but I am at least on the right track.

If anyone is starting out - don't reinvent the wheel there are excellent professional systems in place like RezOvation where you can have the whole ball of wax - you can have online reservations, credit card processing, guest management, reporting, statements, anything you want or need and it is right there already developed to meet your needs. Heck look here they can even build your website for you - Microsoft Gold certified, google analytics etc : http://www.rezovation.com/ .
Well said!!!
I am so surprised when I find someone doesn't have a website of their own and think its is no big deal. Your guests won't take you serious if you don't. Think of yourself as the guest and no website. I just move on to the next.
I would never send snail mail. Even if I would get snail mail from an innkeeper I would think boy are they behind the times. I don't even snail mail my bills anymore. I am surprised at my self that I can do so much. Of course I need to do more with tec but I am at least on the right track.
I send snail mail on request. I have some long time repeats who will not give out their email addresses. Other guests who are like-minded, will give me the email for 'one time use only,' I will send the confirm and then delete their email so it doesn't end up on my newsletter list.

We get a fair amount of seniors who might have a computer but don't use email and want a snail mail confirmation. We still get a lot of requests for brochures as well.

We get a fair amount of seniors who might have a computer but don't use email and want a snail mail confirmation. We still get a lot of requests for brochures as well..
Rupert said:
We get a fair amount of seniors who might have a computer but don't use email and want a snail mail confirmation. We still get a lot of requests for brochures as well.
We get a lot of brochure requests, too. I ask if they wouldn't like to just look at the website. No. They want a mailing. Maybe I need to design an online brochure. But I think they just want to get the mail.

Back