Innkeeping--Independent Study Topic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecj0320

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am an Aspiring Innkeeper that has been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am studying Hospitality Management at the present.
Anywho, I would like all the "innspiring" knowledge from this forum.
help.gif

I am a senior and may be taking a independent study class. We are able to chose our topic and I would like to do innkeeping. However, I am afraid the dept. head may believe it is too generalized. So, I am coming to you guys/gals for your innkeeping knowledge...
If anyone has ideas, topics, projects, etc. I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!
teeth_smile.gif

A topic idea?
How about why a guest chooses a BnB over a hotel?

*UPDATE*
Did not realize my advisor was going to reply back to me so quickly, considering it's still summer break.
He did say I could do Bed & Breakfast as a whole. YAY!
However, he said I needed to find a textbook!
help.gif

Any ideas?

*UPDATE*
Did not realize my advisor was going to reply back to me so quickly, considering it's still summer break.
He did say I could do Bed & Breakfast as a whole. YAY!
However, he said I needed to find a textbook!
help.gif

Any ideas?.
There are two books I recommend:
So, You Want to be an Innkeeper? by Jo Ann M. Bell, Susan Brown, Mary Davies, and Pat Hardy
Opening and Operating a Bed & Breakfast in the 21st Century: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Inn Keeping Success with Professional Online Marketing Strategies by Amelia Painter
You can also get great information and resources from PAII
Good luck!

There is a new one called Operating a Bed & Breakfast for Dummies - I think that is it. Cannot find it right now. I was supposed to review it. Read some and it looks pretty good.
Read several books - each is written from a different perspective. Aspiring Seminars are each different depending on the facilitator. My own emphasis is on marketing because I think that is where a lot of them need help.

There is a new one called Operating a Bed & Breakfast for Dummies - I think that is it. Cannot find it right now. I was supposed to review it. Read some and it looks pretty good.
Read several books - each is written from a different perspective. Aspiring Seminars are each different depending on the facilitator. My own emphasis is on marketing because I think that is where a lot of them need help..
I just read Operating a Bed & Breakfast for Dummies....I really like it, am a big fan of dummies books. Plus, I have read pretty much every how to book on B&B's ever. I have dozens. I have to say that this one and the "Complete Idiot's Guide to running a Bed & Breakfast" were my favorites. The Upstart Guide was pretty good too.
I was even compelled to write my own 91 page ebook about starting up a small Inn.

Read several books - each is written from a different perspective. Aspiring Seminars are each different depending on the facilitator. My own emphasis is on marketing because I think that is where a lot of them need help..
I just read Operating a Bed & Breakfast for Dummies....I really like it, am a big fan of dummies books. Plus, I have read pretty much every how to book on B&B's ever. I have dozens. I have to say that this one and the "Complete Idiot's Guide to running a Bed & Breakfast" were my favorites. The Upstart Guide was pretty good too.
I was even compelled to write my own 91 page ebook about starting up a small Inn.
Cool. Are you selling this some place? Feel free to add it to the resources if you want.

Cool. Are you selling this some place? Feel free to add it to the resources if you want.
I've sold a couple dozen from our website at $25 a pop. I will list in resources...thanks Swirt!

I have mine on CD. Maybe I should sell it on my site....... Hmmmm

I always wanted to write a book entitled
" What I found under the bed. Personal insights of an Innkeeper .".
The Farmers Daughter said:
I always wanted to write a book entitled
" What I found under the bed. Personal insights of an Innkeeper ."
That wouldn't be as exciting if I wrote it...the answer would be:
sock

Also "Complete IDIOT'S Guide to Running a Bed and Breakfast" orange and white cover.By Park Davis and Susannah Craig. Printed by Alpha Books...Mary at Bridgewater Inn Va..
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
Also "Complete IDIOT'S Guide to Running a Bed and Breakfast" orange and white cover.By Park Davis and Susannah Craig. Printed by Alpha Books...Mary at Bridgewater Inn Va.
Must have been written for me. <heavy sigh>

Back