Innkeeping Pet Peeves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pet Peeve:
People who tell you they don't eat something then turn around and eat a ton of it.
I have a guest here now. When making the reservation she stated: no beef. A few days later she proceeded to order 3 of my dinners (3 night stay) during her stay. Know what entree she ordered? Fillet mignon & flat iron steak. I don't think she even thought about the fish or pasta choices!
poke.gif
Lactose intolerant guests who minutely question everything on their breakfast plates ('What brand of sausage is this? Is there cheese in this? Did you check the label on the bread?) while regaling everyone with tales of the FANTASTIC New England-style clam chowder they had last night!
Please don't pull your power play on me, the person deciding what you're getting to eat.
I understand those who are really lactose intolerant. Hey, there are those who are milk protein intolerant. I understand that, it's medical. So tell me that... don't say you are lactose intolerant, because I could use lactose-free milk by mistake. Just please, tell me what I have to do so that I don't kill you at my table! Please! My heart can't take it. I will live with that regret for the rest of my life. Just please, tell me!
Okay, people... how do you feel about vegans? Anyone else want to give them a banana and a glass of soy milk and send them on their way? Anyone? Or is it just me? How about a gluten-free, no soy, no nuts vegan? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone!
GBManor said:
Okay, people... how do you feel about vegans? Anyone else want to give them a banana and a glass of soy milk and send them on their way? Anyone? Or is it just me? How about a gluten-free, no soy, no nuts vegan? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone!
Oh noooooo, don't get me started! This weekend I have one room who says "no soy" another room that is vegan and a 3rd room who's online reservation says "renal diet". What in the hell is a renal diet?????
If you hear some far off screaming this weekend, don't worry, it's just me!
The Renal Diet- Phosphorus
Before making any changes to your diet, make sure you discuss them with your doctor or dietitian.
Phosphorus is a mineral that works with calcium to keep your bones healthy and strong. Phosphorus is needed by the body for building and maintaining bones and teeth and for normal nerve and muscle function. When kidney function declines, the body has a difficult time keeping phosphorus and calcium in balance. As a result of this imbalance, the body cannot get rid of excess phosphorus (phosphorus levels increase) and the body cannot take in enough calcium (calcium levels decrease). To try and correct this imbalance the body will “steal” calcium from the bones, which makes the bones weak. Problems associated with high phosphorus levels include itchy skin, bone and joint pain, and brittle bones.
Foods that are high in phosphorus include:
• Cola Drinks
• Peanut Butter
• Cheese
• Sardines
• Chicken/beef liver
• Nuts
• Caramels
• Beer
• Ice Cream
Lower phosphorus food substitutes include:
• Broccoli
• Non-dairy milk substitute
• Sherbet
• Non-cola soda
• Zucchini squash
• Hard Candy
A large serving size of a low phosphorus food can become a high phosphorus food.
Yeah, I'm ready to just throw a plate of scrambled eggs and toast at 'em.

We do a lot of rooms for single occupancy (we do a lot of business trade) if I know in advance then they only get one set of towels cos you can guarantee it that they will use them all.

Pet Peeve:
People who tell you they don't eat something then turn around and eat a ton of it.
I have a guest here now. When making the reservation she stated: no beef. A few days later she proceeded to order 3 of my dinners (3 night stay) during her stay. Know what entree she ordered? Fillet mignon & flat iron steak. I don't think she even thought about the fish or pasta choices!
poke.gif
Lactose intolerant guests who minutely question everything on their breakfast plates ('What brand of sausage is this? Is there cheese in this? Did you check the label on the bread?) while regaling everyone with tales of the FANTASTIC New England-style clam chowder they had last night!
Please don't pull your power play on me, the person deciding what you're getting to eat.
I understand those who are really lactose intolerant. Hey, there are those who are milk protein intolerant. I understand that, it's medical. So tell me that... don't say you are lactose intolerant, because I could use lactose-free milk by mistake. Just please, tell me what I have to do so that I don't kill you at my table! Please! My heart can't take it. I will live with that regret for the rest of my life. Just please, tell me!
I am lactose intolerant. I carry chewable tabs with me and can eat anything I wish just fine. Traveling, I will take one with meals to avoid "surprises". I don't understand why they don't take responsibility for themselves? Just say I only eat x for breakfast? Sounds like just another way to be a PITA!

I am going to step up from the guest perspective now.
You know how innkeepers don't want any surprises so many ask repeatedly about dietary restrictions. If you keep prodding I might tell you, well ya know I won't eat X Y and Z (which is true, I won't). Look if I cannot eat pineapple as it gives me mouth ulcers, or kiwi fruit (CALF) grown in acidic soil, then I just won't eat them. But if you ask again I will tell you, and then it sounds awful. "Well I can eat New Zealand or Central and South American, oh and Spanish grown Kiwis, but not CALF kiwis due to the acid in the soil as I will get a mouth ulcer/canker sore for a week or two from one bite"
We are not dietietions. Make the food, serve it and let the guest be "Big boys and girls" and eat what they want. If you post menus, if you ask repeatedly, then people will comply and tell you their dislikes and other info we don't need to know about. Dairy gives me gas. TMI.
Do what you do, give it your all. You can't please all the people all the time, some people are finicky and picky ALL THE TIME, it is not you or your cooking.
PS SCORE - Strawberries were $4 a pack and I was greatly dismayed and then I saw them...STAR FRUIT! The one thing that makes this innkeeper happy is finding star fruit to serve to guests, 99% have never had it nor seen it! I love it!!! For a .99 cent starfruit I can serve it and impress 4 to 6 people.
starfruit_detox_drinks.jpg

Edited to add - Cut it HALF the thickness that they show here, this is too thick. It is prettier cut thin, and you can put one or two or three on a plate, telescoping in size too.

You know how innkeepers don't want any surprises so many ask repeatedly about dietary restrictions. If you keep prodding I might tell you, well ya know I won't eat X Y and Z (which is true, I won't). Look if I cannot eat pineapple as it gives me mouth ulcers, or kiwi fruit (CALF) grown in acidic soil, then I just won't eat them. But if you ask again I will tell you, and then it sounds awful. "Well I can eat New Zealand or Central and South American, oh and Spanish grown Kiwis, but not CALF kiwis due to the acid in the soil as I will get a mouth ulcer/canker sore for a week or two from one bite"
We are not dietietions. Make the food, serve it and let the guest be "Big boys and girls" and eat what they want. If you post menus, if you ask repeatedly, then people will comply and tell you their dislikes and other info we don't need to know about. Dairy gives me gas. TMI.
Do what you do, give it your all. You can't please all the people all the time, some people are finicky and picky ALL THE TIME, it is not you or your cooking.
PS SCORE - Strawberries were $4 a pack and I was greatly dismayed and then I saw them...STAR FRUIT! The one thing that makes this innkeeper happy is finding star fruit to serve to guests, 99% have never had it nor seen it! I love it!!! For a .99 cent starfruit I can serve it and impress 4 to 6 people.

Edited to add - Cut it HALF the thickness that they show here, this is too thick. It is prettier cut thin, and you can put one or two or three on a plate, telescoping in size too..
OTOH, I just found out I can add that question to my online rez form. Any food allergies? It will save me so much grief from the ones who do not just put that info in the little box where I ask them to but tell me when I'm handing them their breakfast. I will have it be a required answer with 'none' being an ok answer. And, I can add a query to tell me the breed of dog they are bringing. Wish I had known this ages ago!
Just last week we had a guest here with her 2 daughters. All 3 meals are cooked and plated at the same time but I deliver 2 at a time. I bring hers first (she's the mom) and she says, 'I don't eat tomatoes.' (they're on top, not IN the food and she has seen the other tables getting theirs!) I say, lightly, 'Just push them off.' She says, 'Can't you make mine without? You're not done cooking are you?'
If you have a deathly tomato allergy and SEE other guests are being served tomatoes wouldn't you mention it the 15 times I've already been at your table bringing juice, coffee, fruit, etc?

Edited to add - Cut it HALF the thickness that they show here, this is too thick. It is prettier cut thin, and you can put one or two or three on a plate, telescoping in size too..
I understand restrictions. And no one is forced to eat anything that they don't want. I'm just saying that if you can't have milk, say it's milk, not lactose intolerance.
I serve physallis when they are in season. I just need to be careful to pull back the skin... I have had a few guests eat the skin.
Physalis.jpg

I also make omelettes with scape when in season. Usually I get one or two days where I can make chive flower omelettes. Sometimes I get violets, so I make orange and violet butter. I haven't really used carambolas, but that's an interesting idea. We did have a few weeks of pitaya being rather affordable. And from time to time we do get affordable yellow-flesh kiwis (Chinese gooseberry). Figs are coming out... but I haven't really found a good way to serve them. And no one seems to like pamelo, unless maybe I'm serving them wrong.
PS: Last week, double pints of strawberries were on sale here... for 99c. And not the California "santa claritas" we usually see all winter (taste-free isn't a good thing), these were much darker and slightly smaller. They were wonderful.

I understand restrictions. And no one is forced to eat anything that they don't want. I'm just saying that if you can't have milk, say it's milk, not lactose intolerance.
I serve physallis when they are in season. I just need to be careful to pull back the skin... I have had a few guests eat the skin.
Physalis.jpg

I also make omelettes with scape when in season. Usually I get one or two days where I can make chive flower omelettes. Sometimes I get violets, so I make orange and violet butter. I haven't really used carambolas, but that's an interesting idea. We did have a few weeks of pitaya being rather affordable. And from time to time we do get affordable yellow-flesh kiwis (Chinese gooseberry). Figs are coming out... but I haven't really found a good way to serve them. And no one seems to like pamelo, unless maybe I'm serving them wrong.
PS: Last week, double pints of strawberries were on sale here... for 99c. And not the California "santa claritas" we usually see all winter (taste-free isn't a good thing), these were much darker and slightly smaller. They were wonderful.
They call them golden kiwis here and for some reason one market has them the same price as green kiwi (score!) and I put them in salads (green leafy salads for our use). I serve to guests BUT ONLY side by side with a green kiwi so they understand it is not a rotten kiwi. :)
Where we are we get our strawberries from FLA this time of year before the CALF crop reaches us here.
I have never seen Dragon fruit here, although I would love to!
Have you tried serving Pomelo like this?
pomelo-rind-on-cat1.jpg

Physalis.jpg

They call them golden kiwis here and for some reason one market has them the same price as green kiwi (score!) and I put them in salads (green leafy salads for our use). I serve to guests BUT ONLY side by side with a green kiwi so they understand it is not a rotten kiwi. :)
Where we are we get our strawberries from FLA this time of year before the CALF crop reaches us here.
pomelo-rind-on-cat1.jpg

I love cats... want to trade recipes?
Most people find pomelo just too sour. Worse than grapefruit, which also doesn't seem to go well. Maybe I should just spray it on them.
01405944_c2.jpg

There is a well known story about some strawberries being shipped from the US to Canada. They tested positive for pesticides and were rejected at the border... so they just drove them back to Florida to sell on the supermarket shelves. YUCK!

Physalis.jpg

I just saw this recipe for figs done on tv last week. It looked delicious. The chef also said it worked well with plums, which I might try since figs are outrageously expensive here. Roasted Figs with Fresh Ricotta

Physalis.jpg

pomelo-rind-on-cat1.jpg

TOO CUTE!!!!

Interesting how much we stress about the food wants/needs - this business is so much about breakfast after all. I do the breakfast at our inn and have adopted a shared responsibility approach:
I am responsible for offering a quality option for basic dietary needs at every meal: very low salt used in food prep (big dish of it on the table), sugar substitute, non-dairy "milk" for cereal or coffee, decaffinated coffee (thank you Keurig) and modest selection of herbal teas, and at least a basic vegan or gluten-free meal. With night before notice I'll offer non-pork meat option and maybe more for the vegan. The guest is well fed even if he passes on some of the food available because there are simple choices he can make. Even with one couple, I often serve semi-buffet style so people take what they like.
The guest is responsible for his own health for allergies, diabetes, etc. I'll say what is in a combined ingredient dish like strata (never meat) and no hidden ingredients to worry about. I appreciate an email about a food to avoid, helps to know, but I don't pester people about limitations. They are adults.
At some point, extreme diets are about control, not about nutrition. Raw food and very limited vegan are examples of people who want to manage food personally. Deciding what to eat - and more importantly what not to eat - takes up a lot of the day. The diet changes continually as their perception of what is healthy changes. These folk usually bring their own food and appreciate a B&B that accomodates them eating their own food in the dining room (try that at a restaurant). If they have special needs, I expect them to bring their own food and I have a nice guest fridge for them to keep it in.

My trouble is I am really really fussy I wont eat anything with mayo or mustard on I don't eat anything mixed together with anything else ie quiche and I hate pastry and tomatoes but I won't die if I do eat anything of the above. HOwever when I booked I would say so and bring my own bread to make toast and own cerial if you didn't carry a brand I like. I would not expect to be specially catered for cos I know I am a pain. Im ok in the UK as the standard is to provide a range or cerials as well as toast but If i was going abroad or not sure I would double check. Worst case I wouldn't bother and get something out later.
It just drives me mad that nothing is plane - ie went on a course this week where lunch was provided I should have brought my own really the choice of sandwiches were ham and mustard, ham and tomatoe, tomotoe and cheese, Branston pickle and cheese or tuna and mayo. Great! I know I am a pain in the arse but is a plane cheese sandwich and a plane ham sandwich too much to ask? as a lot of people won't eat mayo here cos of the calories.

My trouble is I am really really fussy I wont eat anything with mayo or mustard on I don't eat anything mixed together with anything else ie quiche and I hate pastry and tomatoes but I won't die if I do eat anything of the above. HOwever when I booked I would say so and bring my own bread to make toast and own cerial if you didn't carry a brand I like. I would not expect to be specially catered for cos I know I am a pain. Im ok in the UK as the standard is to provide a range or cerials as well as toast but If i was going abroad or not sure I would double check. Worst case I wouldn't bother and get something out later.
It just drives me mad that nothing is plane - ie went on a course this week where lunch was provided I should have brought my own really the choice of sandwiches were ham and mustard, ham and tomatoe, tomotoe and cheese, Branston pickle and cheese or tuna and mayo. Great! I know I am a pain in the arse but is a plane cheese sandwich and a plane ham sandwich too much to ask? as a lot of people won't eat mayo here cos of the calories..
My trouble is I am really really fussy I wont eat anything with mayo or mustard on I don't eat anything mixed together with anything else ie quiche and I hate pastry and tomatoes but I won't die if I do eat anything of the above.
In American they slap mayo on EVERYTHING. I am a non mayo person as well, and I hate it!! Hamburgers - mayo, sandwiches - mayo. and Ranch dressing which is so popular in the southern states esp, is made of mayo.

"These folk usually bring their own food and appreciate a B&B that accomodates them eating their own food in the dining room (try that at a restaurant). If they have special needs, I expect them to bring their own food and I have a nice guest fridge for them to keep it in."
We're going into our 11th season and never once has someone with a dietary issue brought their own food for breakfast.They have all expected us to work with their restrictions. Most of the time I don't even get a thank you for going the extra mile.

"These folk usually bring their own food and appreciate a B&B that accomodates them eating their own food in the dining room (try that at a restaurant). If they have special needs, I expect them to bring their own food and I have a nice guest fridge for them to keep it in."
We're going into our 11th season and never once has someone with a dietary issue brought their own food for breakfast.They have all expected us to work with their restrictions. Most of the time I don't even get a thank you for going the extra mile..
We are in our 17th and still have yet to see someone arrive with their own food.

we had a family arrive with their own bread (gluten free) I said oh Id have bought it for you but they said they get it free on perscription so didn't think it was fair to make me buy it as they knew it is expensive. which was nice

we had a family arrive with their own bread (gluten free) I said oh Id have bought it for you but they said they get it free on perscription so didn't think it was fair to make me buy it as they knew it is expensive. which was nice.
we had a family arrive with their own bread (gluten free) I said oh Id have bought it for you but they said they get it free on perscription so didn't think it was fair to make me buy it as they knew it is expensive. which was nice
I could have guessed from the perscription line that you are in the UK. They also get the pasta free.

Interesting how much we stress about the food wants/needs - this business is so much about breakfast after all. I do the breakfast at our inn and have adopted a shared responsibility approach:
I am responsible for offering a quality option for basic dietary needs at every meal: very low salt used in food prep (big dish of it on the table), sugar substitute, non-dairy "milk" for cereal or coffee, decaffinated coffee (thank you Keurig) and modest selection of herbal teas, and at least a basic vegan or gluten-free meal. With night before notice I'll offer non-pork meat option and maybe more for the vegan. The guest is well fed even if he passes on some of the food available because there are simple choices he can make. Even with one couple, I often serve semi-buffet style so people take what they like.
The guest is responsible for his own health for allergies, diabetes, etc. I'll say what is in a combined ingredient dish like strata (never meat) and no hidden ingredients to worry about. I appreciate an email about a food to avoid, helps to know, but I don't pester people about limitations. They are adults.
At some point, extreme diets are about control, not about nutrition. Raw food and very limited vegan are examples of people who want to manage food personally. Deciding what to eat - and more importantly what not to eat - takes up a lot of the day. The diet changes continually as their perception of what is healthy changes. These folk usually bring their own food and appreciate a B&B that accomodates them eating their own food in the dining room (try that at a restaurant). If they have special needs, I expect them to bring their own food and I have a nice guest fridge for them to keep it in..
I have also had guests bring their own. Recently I had a lady who was on a special regimen and could have nothing other than certain herbal teas and spring water. She was surprised I had both. She had everything else she was supposed to exist on. Paid full rate too OK, she was here for a funeral but did not quibble trying to cut that rate a dime. Would have paid full rate (I cut it when heard funeral - rather do that than have her see it later and be upset).

Back