Innkeeping Pet Peeves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I have to vent... on my list of things that drive me crazy....
  • Ladies who insist that my beautiful fluffy white towels are makeup removal wipes (even though I have wipes in the bathroom)
  • People who can't mange to pee properly. How the heck do you get it on the bottom of the seat?
  • People who can't manage to s!t properly. How the heck do you ge it on the bottom of the seat and the rim?
  • People who can't manage to use a towel twice. Do you really wash your towels after one use at home?
  • People who can't close a light. Apparently they think I'm like this poor man, cleaning up after them... Guiness Ad
  • Can't someone tell me when a lightbulb burns out? Is it a legal thing?
  • People who leave their stuff all over the shared bathroom and can't be considerate.
  • People who tell you that they have an allergy, but in fact just don't. Be an adult. Just don't eat it.

I am with you. I was leaving town and would not be back for 3 days. DH served breakfast and the last thing he said to them as they went up to gather stuf to leave was - Please turn off all the lights and turn off the heat please. Make sure you have everything because we find left behing things all the time. It is obvious since he walks with 2 crutches that HE could not go up and do these things. And they were on a 25% military discount!!!
I return - lights are on, heat is on, and they left some stuff that made me VERY unhappy and i do not mean garbage.

We're with you too.
The towel things drive me NUTS - I constantly wonder if I am the only revolting, disgusting creature in the world who uses a towel multiple times.
These towels are not dirty, people, they are just DAMP.
I once had to throw out (well, downgrade to dog towels) three, count them T-H-R-E-E, towels from a room because they were smothered in a woman's industrial strength make-up. Soaking in Oxi-Clean, spraying with Spray and Wash and scrubbing with good old soap and water wouldn't budge it. God only knows what the stuff must have being doing to her face.
I was so mad - and apparently had enough time on my hands - that I sat down with a pen and paper and worked out (pricing out our time, their breakfasts, power used etc) that, as they were on a special winter deal, once the cost of the towels were factored in we just broke even on their stay.
So we would have been better off if they hadn't stayed at all, as at least we would have had more free time.
P.S. Just have to say how so very, VERY, happy I was to come here and read your reassuring It-Is-OK-To-Think-These-Things-Are-Unacceptable post as have just been a bit upset by the first backlash on our blog telling us what horrible, vile people we are.
I'm sure it won't be the last and I suppose I should have expected it really.

We're with you too.
The towel things drive me NUTS - I constantly wonder if I am the only revolting, disgusting creature in the world who uses a towel multiple times.
I once had to throw out (well, downgrade to dog towels) three, count them T-H-R-E-E, towels from a room because they were smothered in a woman's industrial strength make-up. Soaking in Oxi-Clean, spraying with Spray and Wash and scrubbing with good old soap and water wouldn't budge it. God only knows what the stuff must have being doing to her face.
I was so mad - and apparently had enough time on my hands - that I sat down with a pen and paper and worked out (pricing out our time, their breakfasts, power used etc) that, as they were on a special winter deal, once the cost of the towels were factored in we just broke even on their stay.
So we would have been better off if they hadn't stayed at all, as at least we would have had more free time.
P.S. Just have to say how so very, VERY, happy I was to come here and read your reassuring It-Is-OK-To-Think-These-Things-Are-Unacceptable post as have just been a bit upset by the first backlash on our blog telling us what horrible, vile people we are.
I'm sure it won't be the last and I suppose I should have expected it really..
I think the towel thing is the one that gets to everyone the most. We allow dogs and we give the guests specific towels and blankets to use on the dogs should they sleep on the beds or be wet after being outside. Cleaned up the room the other day and there is the 'dog' towel AND my good white towels all wadded up. Yup, good towels used to wipe dog's muddy paws. What? The dog towel wasn't enough? It was a small dog! I use the same bath towels on my huge dog!

Last week we had guests for 1 night. Each room is provided 4 large towels, 3 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 makeup removal washcloth, 2 beach towels and 2 "deck towels" for drying off any moistness from the tables on their private decks.
EVERY SINGLE TOWEL WAS USED FOR A 1 NIGHT STAY!!! What are they, homeless people who have never had a clean towel before???

Pet Peeve:
People who tell you they don't eat something then turn around and eat a ton of it.
I have a guest here now. When making the reservation she stated: no beef. A few days later she proceeded to order 3 of my dinners (3 night stay) during her stay. Know what entree she ordered? Fillet mignon & flat iron steak. I don't think she even thought about the fish or pasta choices!
poke.gif

We're with you too.
We had one lady who wore bright red lipstick and left her mark on two towels... since obviously one wasn't enough. I washed it in the "Sanitize wash" with double the bleach and oxy. Ten washes later and I could still identify the towel's pink haze. Are the tissues as well as the non-alcohol make-up removal wipes really not enough? Don't you just want to put it into their luggage with a note that says "Unfortunately, we couldn't remove the stains. Since we can no longer use this at our establishment, we hope that you will enjoy it."
We take towels that are beyond their useful life and dye them yellow so we know that they are rags. The rags are taking over the house.

Pet Peeve:
People who tell you they don't eat something then turn around and eat a ton of it.
I have a guest here now. When making the reservation she stated: no beef. A few days later she proceeded to order 3 of my dinners (3 night stay) during her stay. Know what entree she ordered? Fillet mignon & flat iron steak. I don't think she even thought about the fish or pasta choices!
poke.gif
Lactose intolerant guests who minutely question everything on their breakfast plates ('What brand of sausage is this? Is there cheese in this? Did you check the label on the bread?) while regaling everyone with tales of the FANTASTIC New England-style clam chowder they had last night!
Please don't pull your power play on me, the person deciding what you're getting to eat.

We're with you too.
We had one lady who wore bright red lipstick and left her mark on two towels... since obviously one wasn't enough. I washed it in the "Sanitize wash" with double the bleach and oxy. Ten washes later and I could still identify the towel's pink haze. Are the tissues as well as the non-alcohol make-up removal wipes really not enough? Don't you just want to put it into their luggage with a note that says "Unfortunately, we couldn't remove the stains. Since we can no longer use this at our establishment, we hope that you will enjoy it."
We take towels that are beyond their useful life and dye them yellow so we know that they are rags. The rags are taking over the house.
GBManor said:
I clip the edges. But, yes, I would like to offer them to the guests at check-out. A 'lovely parting gift'.

Ladies who insist that my beautiful fluffy white towels are makeup removal wipes (even though I have wipes in the bathroom)
Dumb aspiring question: Would treating the towels with actual makeup remover work? I can see that it might be too expensive to marinate the towel in it, but a spot treatment?

This one hit me between the eyes the other day when I was looking at the sucky CVB page. They list on their accommodations a B & B that is being operated by a local realtor (her house). She attended our city's Biz Reception as a rep for the Chamber. When I suggested that she join our State Assoc, she told me they really are not a B & B (this in front of my City Manager) - they do not do breakdfast, they just put out some danish and coffee and they do not advertise. THEY give B & B a bad name!! THEY are worse than the worst PITA!!

Pet Peeve:
poke.gif
Lactose intolerant guests who minutely question everything on their breakfast plates ('What brand of sausage is this? Is there cheese in this? Did you check the label on the bread?) while regaling everyone with tales of the FANTASTIC New England-style clam chowder they had last night!
Please don't pull your power play on me, the person deciding what you're getting to eat.
I understand those who are really lactose intolerant. Hey, there are those who are milk protein intolerant. I understand that, it's medical. So tell me that... don't say you are lactose intolerant, because I could use lactose-free milk by mistake. Just please, tell me what I have to do so that I don't kill you at my table! Please! My heart can't take it. I will live with that regret for the rest of my life. Just please, tell me!
Okay, people... how do you feel about vegans? Anyone else want to give them a banana and a glass of soy milk and send them on their way? Anyone? Or is it just me? How about a gluten-free, no soy, no nuts vegan? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone!

Pet Peeve:
poke.gif
I understand those who are really lactose intolerant. Hey, there are those who are milk protein intolerant. I understand that, it's medical. So tell me that... don't say you are lactose intolerant, because I could use lactose-free milk by mistake. Just please, tell me what I have to do so that I don't kill you at my table! Please! My heart can't take it. I will live with that regret for the rest of my life. Just please, tell me!
Okay, people... how do you feel about vegans? Anyone else want to give them a banana and a glass of soy milk and send them on their way? Anyone? Or is it just me? How about a gluten-free, no soy, no nuts vegan? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone!
I have had 2 different guests - years apart thank goodness - who only ate raw food. And I agree with you about the vegans.

Ladies who insist that my beautiful fluffy white towels are makeup removal wipes (even though I have wipes in the bathroom)
Dumb aspiring question: Would treating the towels with actual makeup remover work? I can see that it might be too expensive to marinate the towel in it, but a spot treatment?.
domestique said:
Dumb aspiring question: Would treating the towels with actual makeup remover work? I can see that it might be too expensive to marinate the towel in it, but a spot treatment?
My best is usually pouring oxy on it, then pouring liquid laundry soap, letting it sit overnight and then washing in COLD water. Why cold water, because for some stains (like protein stains) the heat sets it. So, after the wash I can take it out, look at it again and decide if I want to try a bar of soap (Sunlight in Canada, Fels Naptha in the US), or a spot treater, or dry cleaning liquid or even acetone. But once it has hit the dryer or hot water... it's not going anywhere, most of the time.
And if you are wondering what protein stains are that an aspiring innkeeper needs to know.... blood, eggs, milk, mud, baby food and
istockphoto_2956027-sperm.jpg

Pet Peeve:
poke.gif
GBManor said:
Oh noooooo, don't get me started! This weekend I have one room who says "no soy" another room that is vegan and a 3rd room who's online reservation says "renal diet". What in the hell is a renal diet?????
If you hear some far off screaming this weekend, don't worry, it's just me!

Dumb aspiring question: Would treating the towels with actual makeup remover work? I can see that it might be too expensive to marinate the towel in it, but a spot treatment?.
domestique said:
My best is usually pouring oxy on it, then pouring liquid laundry soap, letting it sit overnight and then washing in COLD water. Why cold water, because for some stains (like protein stains) the heat sets it. So, after the wash I can take it out, look at it again and decide if I want to try a bar of soap (Sunlight in Canada, Fels Naptha in the US), or a spot treater, or dry cleaning liquid or even acetone. But once it has hit the dryer or hot water... it's not going anywhere, most of the time.
And if you are wondering what protein stains are that an aspiring innkeeper needs to know.... blood, eggs, milk, mud, baby food and

GBManor said:
domestique said:
Hmm, I did not know that mud was a protein stain. The rest I am familiar with, lol!

Eye make-up remover does indeed work, and is what we used (the cheapest we could find) for a veeeeery long time.
But we finally got bored of the expense, so what we do now is hoard all the little half-used guest soaps in a pot in the laundry room and don rubber gloves, wet the towel and give it a good soaping and an ever gooder hand-scrubbing before throwing it in the wash.
This works with pretty much all make-up other than the most industrial foundation and waterproof mascara which for some reason (and maybe it's just our guest soaps that cause this) turns a weird shade of green...
If I get A Greener I then hit the eye-make-up remover and if it's still there a final squirt and scrunge with Spray and Wash usually does the trick.
Make me feel better all round - it's essentially free and I no longer feel bad about trashing piles of half-used soaps.

Pet Peeve:
poke.gif
GBManor said:
Oh noooooo, don't get me started! This weekend I have one room who says "no soy" another room that is vegan and a 3rd room who's online reservation says "renal diet". What in the hell is a renal diet?????
Renal diet = no sodium, low liquids, if memory serves.

Pet Peeve:
poke.gif
GBManor said:
The Renal Diet- Phosphorus
Before making any changes to your diet, make sure you discuss them with your doctor or dietitian.
Phosphorus is a mineral that works with calcium to keep your bones healthy and strong. Phosphorus is needed by the body for building and maintaining bones and teeth and for normal nerve and muscle function. When kidney function declines, the body has a difficult time keeping phosphorus and calcium in balance. As a result of this imbalance, the body cannot get rid of excess phosphorus (phosphorus levels increase) and the body cannot take in enough calcium (calcium levels decrease). To try and correct this imbalance the body will “steal” calcium from the bones, which makes the bones weak. Problems associated with high phosphorus levels include itchy skin, bone and joint pain, and brittle bones.
Foods that are high in phosphorus include:
• Cola Drinks
• Peanut Butter
• Cheese
• Sardines
• Chicken/beef liver
• Nuts
• Caramels
• Beer
• Ice Cream
Lower phosphorus food substitutes include:
• Broccoli
• Non-dairy milk substitute
• Sherbet
• Non-cola soda
• Zucchini squash
• Hard Candy
A large serving size of a low phosphorus food can become a high phosphorus food.

Pet Peeve:
poke.gif
GBManor said:
We had a vegan guest who could eat nothing we provided except kale from the winter garden. No fruit, no bread, no potato, corn or beans, nothing except kale. It's good kale, though.

Back