Inns for sale - presale

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks JBJ!!! Great idea. I guess this is in response to my post yesterday? So here goes!
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
  • Up to a 3-hour drive from DC
  • Not much preference in terms of Victorian v. Modern, but something with wow factor, since we'd like to do elopements and maybe small weddings
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
  • in or near a town with ethnic/cultural diversity
  • historic and/or university town
  • owners' quarters with 2BR, office and connected kitchen, that can be segregated from guest areas
We're willing to do a bit of renovation, so if there's zoning/land to do so, then we're flexible.
Emspiers, I'll look out for you, too! Thanks everyone!!.
stephanie said:
Thanks JBJ!!! Great idea. I guess this is in response to my post yesterday? So here goes!
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
  • Not much preference in terms of Victorian v. Modern, but something with wow factor, since we'd like to do elopements and maybe small weddings
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
  • owners' quarters with 2BR, office and connected kitchen, that can be segregated from guest areas
We're willing to do a bit of renovation, so if there's zoning/land to do so, then we're flexible.
Emspiers, I'll look out for you, too! Thanks everyone!!
Even if you buy turnkey there are always "renovations" to be done. Property improvements. That is what I would keep my eye out for, you will see that often enough- room for improvement. That is something that any good for sale packet will have in it, improvements to the place, listing the cost.
I say this to guests at least once a week. They ask "Did you have to do much to this place when you bought it." I always chuckle and think, yeah a 115+ year old house, sure nothing every needs to be done!
But I say to them, "Every person who has ever lived here takes full credit for doing everything. And they were right!"
Before becoming a B&B, it was a Dr's office. Before that, apartments. Until it becaome a B&B there was ONE bathroom here. Now we have 8.
So it is ongoing - improvements. The improvements are what make more money, imo. That is what our goal is. We have an attic that can be turned into something, it is on the list, but after we complete other jobs. We like to do one MAJOR improvement per year - besides the maintenance which is ongoing for old houses.
Looking back, it is great to see all that has been done.
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

I don't even know how to fix a running toilet yet, but I love figuring things out. Plus one of the benefits of the DC area is we potentially have reno help there.
By the way, we were/are also considering the Catskills and Amherst/Northampton, MA, so any leads there would be welcome. But our current focus (and where I have the least knowledge) is NoVA, MD and So. PA.
stephanie said:
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

I don't even know how to fix a running toilet yet, but I love figuring things out. Plus one of the benefits of the DC area is we potentially have reno help there.
By the way, we were/are also considering the Catskills and Amherst/Northampton, MA, so any leads there would be welcome. But our current focus (and where I have the least knowledge) is NoVA, MD and So. PA.
We took one afternoon and $20 in parts and fixed 7 running toilets. Saved us a fortune in water and sewer fees. How come that wasn't done by the PO'S? They didn't know how, didn't have any tools, and refused to pay someone else to do it. So they spread the cost out over the water bill. It was annoying to the guests to hear that all night. THAT alone should have spurred them to fix it.
Well, luckily DH is in charge of toilets and pretty handy, but I really have to learn these things.
I occasionally have him peek at threads that pertain to us and he flipped out when he saw Sanctuary's boat. "Let's get a yacht B&B!" Then I showed him all the maintenance she has to do... that put an end to it. We'll be grateful to be learning how to plumb on dry land.
Good for you both to know how to do those pesky routine repairs! I was always pretty handy but I've learned a lot since buying a 1900's house and an 1860's house. haha! I actually replaced the old type ball valve in a toilet tank with the newer valvetype in one of our bathrooms all by myself because I was tired on waiting for my dh to fix it. woo hoo! Funny what makes us happy after getting into the B&B biz.
It's a mystery to me (other than extreme lack of funds) why some folks don't do some routine maintenance and repair in guest accommodations at the very least. Like that toilet valve or Bree's story.
Good luck with your search. Remember that if you see an inn/B&B that you think might be "the one", it doesn't hurt to ask the owners if they'd consider selling. Many innkeepers have an exit plan but just haven't put their property on the market yet.
Samster said:
Good luck with your search. Remember that if you see an inn/B&B that you think might be "the one", it doesn't hurt to ask the owners if they'd consider selling. Many innkeepers have an exit plan but just haven't put their property on the market yet.
Thanks for the tip! Don't know if I'd be gutsy enough to do that just yet, but I'll keep it in mind for a back-up strategy.

• 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Emspiers, I'll look out for you, too! Thanks everyone!!.
stephanie said:
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Emspiers, I'll look out for you, too! Thanks everyone!!
Even if you buy turnkey there are always "renovations" to be done. Property improvements. That is what I would keep my eye out for, you will see that often enough- room for improvement. That is something that any good for sale packet will have in it, improvements to the place, listing the cost.
I say this to guests at least once a week. They ask "Did you have to do much to this place when you bought it." I always chuckle and think, yeah a 115+ year old house, sure nothing every needs to be done!
But I say to them, "Every person who has ever lived here takes full credit for doing everything. And they were right!"
Before becoming a B&B, it was a Dr's office. Before that, apartments. Until it becaome a B&B there was ONE bathroom here. Now we have 8.
So it is ongoing - improvements. The improvements are what make more money, imo. That is what our goal is. We have an attic that can be turned into something, it is on the list, but after we complete other jobs. We like to do one MAJOR improvement per year - besides the maintenance which is ongoing for old houses.
Looking back, it is great to see all that has been done.
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

stephanie said:
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

We took one afternoon and $20 in parts and fixed 7 running toilets. Saved us a fortune in water and sewer fees. How come that wasn't done by the PO'S? They didn't know how, didn't have any tools, and refused to pay someone else to do it. So they spread the cost out over the water bill. It was annoying to the guests to hear that all night. THAT alone should have spurred them to fix it.
Well, luckily DH is in charge of toilets and pretty handy, but I really have to learn these things.
I occasionally have him peek at threads that pertain to us and he flipped out when he saw Sanctuary's boat. "Let's get a yacht B&B!" Then I showed him all the maintenance she has to do... that put an end to it. We'll be grateful to be learning how to plumb on dry land.
Good for you both to know how to do those pesky routine repairs! I was always pretty handy but I've learned a lot since buying a 1900's house and an 1860's house. haha! I actually replaced the old type ball valve in a toilet tank with the newer valvetype in one of our bathrooms all by myself because I was tired on waiting for my dh to fix it. woo hoo! Funny what makes us happy after getting into the B&B biz.
It's a mystery to me (other than extreme lack of funds) why some folks don't do some routine maintenance and repair in guest accommodations at the very least. Like that toilet valve or Bree's story.
Samster said:
Thanks for the tip! Don't know if I'd be gutsy enough to do that just yet, but I'll keep it in mind for a back-up strategy.
It's not really gutsy. Many innkeepers have a plan to sell at some point. I know of at least 2 people that bought their inns that way! They also got a better deal because they were able to work it out without going through a broker. The worst that can happen is that they're flattered that you considered their inn to be the one you want but they say no :)

My criteria:
1. NC mountains -- near Boone, Asheville or Highlands
2. 2-3 acres, somewhat remote so that we can buy more acreage down the road
3. 6-10 rooms
4. house can be old or new -- just needs to be easy to add on wings or reno
5. en-suite baths, or ability to add en-suite bath to existing rooms
6. preferably near water, especially great if on property -- creek, brook, lake, pond, waterfall -- any kind!
7. separate OQ
Otherwise, very open at this point!

Thanks GG. I couldn't remember the name of the thread and was too lazy to find it. Thanks for being the go-getter you are!!!!
thumbs_up.gif

Just bumping this post up so the new aspirings could post their wants
regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
regular_smile.gif
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
That about sums it ALL up for me, too!
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
I apologize for being snarky. This weekend, a giant chasm opened up between me and any hope of ever opening an inn, and I'm feeling a little, um, disappointed.
I guess I'll have to cancel the order for the china . . .

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
regular_smile.gif
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
I apologize for being snarky. This weekend, a giant chasm opened up between me and any hope of ever opening an inn, and I'm feeling a little, um, disappointed.
IronGate said:
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
Want to talk about it or no? Sorry about whatever it was that happened...

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
regular_smile.gif
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
Ya never know...
I didn't think I could ever afford to do this, yet here I am.
Of course, if the issue is willingness on the part of an SO, well, can't help you there. But for money... where's there's a will (and some patience) there's a way.
In the meantime, my sympathy...
=)
Kk.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
regular_smile.gif
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
Ya never know...
Of course, if the issue is willingness on the part of an SO, well, can't help you there. But for money... where's there's a will (and some patience) there's a way.
=)
Kk.
Yes, it's money, in a nutshell, but not for any reason you can imagine. It's way more money than I could ever have imagined.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
regular_smile.gif
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
Bree said:
IronGate said:
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
I wish I could, but not online.

I am very open right now.
I guess our definition of "rural" would be something that is NOT in the middle of any town/village/city. On the skirts, more or less. My hubby is an outdoorsy kind of guy. Grew up on tons of acres in Northern Maine. I couldn't put him in a town, he would shrivel up and die. I don't know if he could handle streetlights, sidewalks and hearing horns honk and sirens blare.
RIght now, he is chopping firewood by hand on the side of a mountain in Maine.
wink_smile.gif
Hey penelope,
where in northern Maine did your husband grow up? (if you don't mind saying) i have family there & i'm just always surprised when i hear someone else from that area. If you don't want to say, that's fine, i understand.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
regular_smile.gif
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
Ya never know...
=)
Kk.
Yes, it's money, in a nutshell, but not for any reason you can imagine. It's way more money than I could ever have imagined.
So sorry to hear that IronGate.
Don't give up hope. Hope is what keeps us going. Hope is what makes us wake up in the morning. It might just be a comma in your sentence. It doesn't have to be a period. You never know what is in store for you if you quit. This could just be a redirection for you but heading toward the same goal.

Thanks GH. I was telling another innkeeper on this forum that having worked in the industry for the past two years as an Innkeeper Assistant, I have learned LOTS. The inn that I work at right now has BECOME the destination. I know that being IN a destination and BEING the destination are two totally different animals. It would be interesting to work with a Tourism Div that actually works WITH the industry!!!
Edited to add: WOW, WOW, WOW...what a webiste your Tourism Div has...that is crazy!!!!
Why aren't they ALL like that????.
penelope said:
Thanks GH. I was telling another innkeeper on this forum that having worked in the industry for the past two years as an Innkeeper Assistant, I have learned LOTS. The inn that I work at right now has BECOME the destination. I know that being IN a destination and BEING the destination are two totally different animals. It would be interesting to work with a Tourism Div that actually works WITH the industry!!!
Edited to add: WOW, WOW, WOW...what a webiste your Tourism Div has...that is crazy!!!!
Why aren't they ALL like that????
Meant to ask you before, but forgot
omg_smile.gif
What state do you work in? I was going to send you an email but you don't have your email added.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
regular_smile.gif
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
penelope said:
IronGate said:
I want it all.
And I want it now.
Simple, really.
IronGate said:
Ya never know...
=)
Kk.
IronGate said:
We owned a dingy little house in a quaint little town in Maryland... we used the equity from it to buy a BIG but somewhat neglected house in Ashland, Ohio. We renovated it using money I inherited when my parents died before they retired (at 61).
But we're talking small B&B in a small town in the midwest. We knew we could never afford anything on the east coast, or anything turnkey, but we looked until we found a place we could make it work.
Here's hoping that with time and patience (and a little good fortune) you'll realize your dream
=/
Kk.

Why aren't they ALL like that????.
penelope said:
Why aren't they ALL like that????
Meant to ask you before, but forgot
omg_smile.gif
What state do you work in? I was going to send you an email but you don't have your email added.
I am in Ohio

Back