Inns for sale - presale

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
If you are currently in the market to BUY an existing INN (turn-key) - please use this thread to describe some of the things you require for your ideal place.
ie 4-5 rooms, small town usa or off the beaten track, acreage, specific market - ie skiing, fall foliage, regionality - ie NE, SE, anything you might be interested. List requirements, and wish-fors, price range...
I decided to ask this as there are some who have not listed their B&B's but are in the process of preparing/renovating getting the ducks in a row for sale. You might just find something that is not on the market yet that meets your needs.
If you place information here, please make sure your current email is on the contact portion of your user id. Some may not be willing to let the world know they are getting ready to sell, but might wish to email you off the forum.
Go for it!

Before I list my dreams, I just want to say thanks to JBJ for thinking of this. You are brilliant. What a wonderful resource for all of us.
Criteria
  1. I know I am going to get flack for this, but I want an older house with character and all it includes. I don't want a "flat" house, I want one with life and stories. My husband is a VERY handy guy. He loves projects...I have a feeling that will come in handy!
  2. 3-7 rooms- no preference
  3. prefer en-suite baths
  4. rural
  5. workable laundry room
  6. competently laid out kitchen
  7. more than 1/2 acre of land
  8. prefer separate owners quarters- but not necessary
  9. if not separate OQ, decent sized OQ (we have two kids)
  10. East of Mississippi River, north of WV/VA line
  11. nothing in MI, NH, or NY (personal preferences)
  12. I would love to be able to do dinner service, but I understand that some states do not allow it. I would be willing to consider a B&B anyway even if dinner service is not an option
I will come back to add to this as I think of more and get some feedback from my DH, but I wanted to get this posted as quickly as possible... again, JBJ, what a great idea.

Swirt was looking into an inns for sale section for the forum, but I thought the opposite might be good here. "INNS WANTED" section.
Things you are looking for, so if anyone is lurking they can contact you.
I will ask you to clarify rural. That is a term that may suit quite a few scenarios, or maybe you are open to those interpretations?
To me rural means farmland, or countryside, not small town. I am in a small town, altho we had a bear go past our street into our hospital, and deer in our yard, etc. We are surrounded by rural, but in a historic district.
If you want rural older home with character, I am thinking a farm house in the country?

one more question, two kids...same sex = share a bedroom or diff sex require two addtl bedrooms for them? Spacious OQ, separate not as in a building, but private. Not on the same floor as the guest rooms.
The scary part is you have described my place. LOL! I am serious. I was not starting this thread to sell it to you, really I wasn't. All except N of VA line. We are not north of that. HA HA! We can do dinners here...anything we want we can do, the town begs us to do it!

I am very open right now.
I guess our definition of "rural" would be something that is NOT in the middle of any town/village/city. On the skirts, more or less. My hubby is an outdoorsy kind of guy. Grew up on tons of acres in Northern Maine. I couldn't put him in a town, he would shrivel up and die. I don't know if he could handle streetlights, sidewalks and hearing horns honk and sirens blare.
RIght now, he is chopping firewood by hand on the side of a mountain in Maine.
wink_smile.gif

one more question, two kids...same sex = share a bedroom or diff sex require two addtl bedrooms for them? Spacious OQ, separate not as in a building, but private. Not on the same floor as the guest rooms.
The scary part is you have described my place. LOL! I am serious. I was not starting this thread to sell it to you, really I wasn't. All except N of VA line. We are not north of that. HA HA! We can do dinners here...anything we want we can do, the town begs us to do it!.
Okay, email me off forum and we can talk... I don't know which one you are.

I guess our definition of "rural" would be something that is NOT in the middle of any town/village/city. On the skirts, more or less. My hubby is an outdoorsy kind of guy. Grew up on tons of acres in Northern Maine. I couldn't put him in a town, he would shrivel up and die. I don't know if he could handle streetlights, sidewalks and hearing horns honk and sirens blare.
wink_smile.gif
emspiers said:
wink_smile.gif
See you are showing your NE -ness, people do not honk in small towns. That would be rude.
teeth_smile.gif

The scary part is you have described my place. LOL! I am serious. I was not starting this thread to sell it to you, really I wasn't. All except N of VA line. We are not north of that. HA HA! We can do dinners here...anything we want we can do, the town begs us to do it!.
emspiers said:
Someone doesn't know who I am? Wow my goofy alias seems to be working. tee hee.

wink_smile.gif
emspiers said:
wink_smile.gif
See you are showing your NE -ness, people do not honk in small towns. That would be rude.
teeth_smile.gif

[/quote]
See you are showing your NE -ness
[/quote]
Oh no!!! My NE-ness is showing??? Yikes, I need to cover that up!!!
tounge_smile.gif

Check out www.wvbnbs.com inns for sale. WV has a lot of areas that are boonies without the extremes of temps, mountain areas that are ski season in winter and gorgeous scenery in Summer and Fall. Would love to welcome you to our wonderful, wild State. We also have a Tourism Division that truly works with the industry.

Thanks GH. I was telling another innkeeper on this forum that having worked in the industry for the past two years as an Innkeeper Assistant, I have learned LOTS. The inn that I work at right now has BECOME the destination. I know that being IN a destination and BEING the destination are two totally different animals. It would be interesting to work with a Tourism Div that actually works WITH the industry!!!
Edited to add: WOW, WOW, WOW...what a webiste your Tourism Div has...that is crazy!!!!
Why aren't they ALL like that????

Thanks GH. I was telling another innkeeper on this forum that having worked in the industry for the past two years as an Innkeeper Assistant, I have learned LOTS. The inn that I work at right now has BECOME the destination. I know that being IN a destination and BEING the destination are two totally different animals. It would be interesting to work with a Tourism Div that actually works WITH the industry!!!
Edited to add: WOW, WOW, WOW...what a webiste your Tourism Div has...that is crazy!!!!
Why aren't they ALL like that????.
Monday - Wednesday is the Governor's Conference on Tourism. The Div will give us the results of the latest very expensive survies they have done and lay out the marketing plan for 2009 that we, the industry, can co-op ads in for less than if we bought them ourselves or where the Div will have ads that we can get some extra bang from being in also (those only the Big Boys can afford!). There will also be speakers who are "experts" in the industry, such as Peter Y the travel guru. I do not remember who will be there this year.
The year my Assoc partnered with NC, SC, & VA for a Conference, our Division made all the signs we needed for the workshops, vendor area, etc - for free, shipped them with easels and included all the prepaid stuff necessary to ship them back (easels). They usually gave us partnerships that paid for our tote bags for the Conference or else gave us the bags - the kind that are either small duffles or back packs depending on how you draw the strings.
Any info you need if they have it - FREE. And they are a great grop of people who work there - they all but write the grant applications for you, if it needs reworded, they basically tell you what it needs to say to get approval.

Thanks JBJ!!! Great idea. I guess this is in response to my post yesterday? So here goes!
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
  • Up to a 3-hour drive from DC
  • Not much preference in terms of Victorian v. Modern, but something with wow factor, since we'd like to do elopements and maybe small weddings
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
  • in or near a town with ethnic/cultural diversity
  • historic and/or university town
  • owners' quarters with 2BR, office and connected kitchen, that can be segregated from guest areas
We're willing to do a bit of renovation, so if there's zoning/land to do so, then we're flexible.
Emspiers, I'll look out for you, too! Thanks everyone!!

Thanks JBJ!!! Great idea. I guess this is in response to my post yesterday? So here goes!
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
  • Not much preference in terms of Victorian v. Modern, but something with wow factor, since we'd like to do elopements and maybe small weddings
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
  • owners' quarters with 2BR, office and connected kitchen, that can be segregated from guest areas
We're willing to do a bit of renovation, so if there's zoning/land to do so, then we're flexible.
Emspiers, I'll look out for you, too! Thanks everyone!!.
stephanie said:
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Even if you buy turnkey there are always "renovations" to be done. Property improvements. That is what I would keep my eye out for, you will see that often enough- room for improvement. That is something that any good for sale packet will have in it, improvements to the place, listing the cost.
I say this to guests at least once a week. They ask "Did you have to do much to this place when you bought it." I always chuckle and think, yeah a 115+ year old house, sure nothing every needs to be done!
But I say to them, "Every person who has ever lived here takes full credit for doing everything. And they were right!"
Before becoming a B&B, it was a Dr's office. Before that, apartments. Until it becaome a B&B there was ONE bathroom here. Now we have 8.
So it is ongoing - improvements. The improvements are what make more money, imo. That is what our goal is. We have an attic that can be turned into something, it is on the list, but after we complete other jobs. We like to do one MAJOR improvement per year - besides the maintenance which is ongoing for old houses.
Looking back, it is great to see all that has been done.

• 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
stephanie said:
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Even if you buy turnkey there are always "renovations" to be done. Property improvements. That is what I would keep my eye out for, you will see that often enough- room for improvement. That is something that any good for sale packet will have in it, improvements to the place, listing the cost.
I say this to guests at least once a week. They ask "Did you have to do much to this place when you bought it." I always chuckle and think, yeah a 115+ year old house, sure nothing every needs to be done!
But I say to them, "Every person who has ever lived here takes full credit for doing everything. And they were right!"
Before becoming a B&B, it was a Dr's office. Before that, apartments. Until it becaome a B&B there was ONE bathroom here. Now we have 8.
So it is ongoing - improvements. The improvements are what make more money, imo. That is what our goal is. We have an attic that can be turned into something, it is on the list, but after we complete other jobs. We like to do one MAJOR improvement per year - besides the maintenance which is ongoing for old houses.
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

I don't even know how to fix a running toilet yet, but I love figuring things out. Plus one of the benefits of the DC area is we potentially have reno help there.
By the way, we were/are also considering the Catskills and Amherst/Northampton, MA, so any leads there would be welcome. But our current focus (and where I have the least knowledge) is NoVA, MD and So. PA.

• 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
stephanie said:
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

I don't even know how to fix a running toilet yet, but I love figuring things out. Plus one of the benefits of the DC area is we potentially have reno help there.
By the way, we were/are also considering the Catskills and Amherst/Northampton, MA, so any leads there would be welcome. But our current focus (and where I have the least knowledge) is NoVA, MD and So. PA.
stephanie said:
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

We took one afternoon and $20 in parts and fixed 7 running toilets. Saved us a fortune in water and sewer fees. How come that wasn't done by the PO'S? They didn't know how, didn't have any tools, and refused to pay someone else to do it. So they spread the cost out over the water bill. It was annoying to the guests to hear that all night. THAT alone should have spurred them to fix it.

• 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
stephanie said:
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

stephanie said:
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

We took one afternoon and $20 in parts and fixed 7 running toilets. Saved us a fortune in water and sewer fees. How come that wasn't done by the PO'S? They didn't know how, didn't have any tools, and refused to pay someone else to do it. So they spread the cost out over the water bill. It was annoying to the guests to hear that all night. THAT alone should have spurred them to fix it.
Well, luckily DH is in charge of toilets and pretty handy, but I really have to learn these things.
I occasionally have him peek at threads that pertain to us and he flipped out when he saw Sanctuary's boat. "Let's get a yacht B&B!" Then I showed him all the maintenance she has to do... that put an end to it. We'll be grateful to be learning how to plumb on dry land.

• 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
stephanie said:
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

stephanie said:
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

Well, luckily DH is in charge of toilets and pretty handy, but I really have to learn these things.
I occasionally have him peek at threads that pertain to us and he flipped out when he saw Sanctuary's boat. "Let's get a yacht B&B!" Then I showed him all the maintenance she has to do... that put an end to it. We'll be grateful to be learning how to plumb on dry land.
LOL Sometimes us DHs need to be protected from our impulses. ;)

• 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
stephanie said:
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

stephanie said:
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

LOL Sometimes us DHs need to be protected from our impulses. ;)
Oh, we take turns.
wink_smile.gif

• 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
stephanie said:
  • 5-8 rooms
  • Private baths
Preferred:
  • at least 1 acre
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

stephanie said:
Can't wait
regular_smile.gif

Good for you both to know how to do those pesky routine repairs! I was always pretty handy but I've learned a lot since buying a 1900's house and an 1860's house. haha! I actually replaced the old type ball valve in a toilet tank with the newer valvetype in one of our bathrooms all by myself because I was tired on waiting for my dh to fix it. woo hoo! Funny what makes us happy after getting into the B&B biz.
It's a mystery to me (other than extreme lack of funds) why some folks don't do some routine maintenance and repair in guest accommodations at the very least. Like that toilet valve or Bree's story.
Good luck with your search. Remember that if you see an inn/B&B that you think might be "the one", it doesn't hurt to ask the owners if they'd consider selling. Many innkeepers have an exit plan but just haven't put their property on the market yet.

Back