Innspiring is getting even more international

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:welcome:
Meine kleine bischen deustche ist so schlect ist komish. Especially if I try to say the word "schön" which always makes people laugh.
1) Work permits
2) Zoning
3) Location, location, location.
Viel gluk!
=)
Kk..
Hey, you should hear me trying to pronounce the "th" my wife some times give up to correct me. she just says I'm a hopeless case.
You are right the Work permits will be the most difficult part. As the property we are looking in to is already operated as an B&B we are luck that we don't have to deal with Zoning.
And about Location, yes I have to look deeper in it. Especially as the B&B is not in a "Destination" area and I hope to make the B&B a Location it self. Offer a germany style B&B with typical german Breakfast.
SeeBen21 said:
You are right the Work permits will be the most difficult part. As the property we are looking in to is already operated as an B&B we are luck that we don't have to deal with Zoning.
Have you absolutely clarified this, in writing? It may no longer be true. Zoning restrictions change.

SeeBen21 said:
Greeting to all of you.
After following this form for a couple of month I finally decide to join you as a member.
Perhaps first I tell you a little about me.
I’m a German guy in his mid 30th, so my first language is not English. Please be patient with my grammar and spelling.
I’m working as a travel agent in Germany. After a tough last year, in which I conquered M. Hodgkin, my DW and I decided to begin a new life. We found a nice B&B in New England, which we now try to purchase.
I hope you will support me with your experience and advices.
Wilkommen!
Your english is far better than my German!
Please be sure before you purchase that you have the proper documentation to work here. There are some sad stories about people who had to leave and sell their B&B because they could not renew or obtain their working papers. I am hoping since you are buying a business that brings taxes you will not encounter the worst of our red tape and awful paperwork to come here and purchase your business!
Best regards,
Erika.
Danke,
Thank you very much for your advice!
I know it will be a challenge to get a Visa. I guess being a German is also a good thing you always plan everything carefully. We try to get an E2 investor visa. But one step after another now we are still trying to get our B&B.
SeeBen21 said:
Danke,
Thank you very much for your advice!
I know it will be a challenge to get a Visa. I guess being a German is also a good thing you always plan everything carefully. We try to get an E2 investor visa. But one step after another now we are still trying to get our B&B.
As my father used to say - my spelling will be awful
"Nichts zum danken, funfzig pfennig, bitte"
We used to think that was so funny when we were little and I have no idea where it originally comes from.. but I will apologize in advance to you for the stupid masses of paperwork ahead of you on your journey.
Best regards,
Erika
Hey your German is really good, I guess in our days you will say "cent" instead of "pfennig" that's what we have now from the Euro.
Honestly we choose America as my wife is coming from Singapore and she’s studding at NCU at the moment.
I found paperwork here in Germany even more difficult if you want to open you own business, but you cant be sued if somebody burned themselves over hot coffee
wink_smile.gif

Welcome -
Our paperwork is tedious and our legal system is out of control! LOL
Make sure you check out our threads on what to look for when purchasing your property. Unless you are looking into purchasing a B&B that is currently opperating, there are many things to know.
We look forward to hearing about your new life!
wink_smile.gif

Thanks for the advice. I already read in some posts it will be a challenge with Zoning. Fortunately the B&B I’m looking into was build as a B&B 15 years ago so I don’t have to care about this at least but a lot of other loops are ahead.
SeeBen21 said:
Thanks for the advice. I already read in some posts it will be a challenge with Zoning. Fortunately the B&B I’m looking into was build as a B&B 15 years ago so I don’t have to care about this at least but a lot of other loops are ahead.
I would also check with all the departments in your County or Town. Here there was a B&B sold that was operating for over 12 years. The owners assured the buyers there was nothing that needed to be checked.
They found that many things had changed during that time, and as new owners they had to go though many obstacles to keep the inn running.
Before you purchase I would check with Zoning, Health, and any other departments, and see if anything must be done first. If they will not give you anything in writing (like my county - nobody wants to go "on record") ask them in an email - I have found they respond to email and keep the response printed and filed.
Best,
Erika

hallo and dich, wo kommst du her? Ich bin von der Insel Sylt ;)
Welcome-
I am new here too and have had the best welcome

hallo and dich, wo kommst du her? Ich bin von der Insel Sylt ;)
Welcome-
I am new here too and have had the best welcome.
Hello,
I come from a twon quite near Frankfurt, so nearly in the middle of Germany.
Yes, your right I'm actually overwhelmed from the friendly welcome here.

Heh, interesting, there is Maggie here, she has a BandB in Alaska, she's from Idar Oberstein. I went to school for a few years in Ruesselsheim/ Max Planck Gymnasium.
Meanwhile, you have figured out that Gymnasium is something completely different here than in Germany, heehee.

Heh, interesting, there is Maggie here, she has a BandB in Alaska, she's from Idar Oberstein. I went to school for a few years in Ruesselsheim/ Max Planck Gymnasium.
Meanwhile, you have figured out that Gymnasium is something completely different here than in Germany, heehee..
It’s incredible how small the world is. Ruesselsheim is just around the corner and Ida Oberstein just an hour from here.

Willkommen zum Mutterhaus.
Does that translate correctly?
confused_smile.gif
I'm actually noit sure what you mean with "Mutterhaus" If you wanted to say "Welcome Home" it would be "Willkommen zuhause".
regular_smile.gif

Actually - I asked my computer for a translation of Welcome to the Nut House. We get a little nutty here. I love it! I know mutter is mother, but it kept giving me mutterhaus for nut house. Lost in translation.

Meanwhile, you have figured out that Gymnasium is something completely different here than in Germany, heehee..
It’s incredible how small the world is. Ruesselsheim is just around the corner and Ida Oberstein just an hour from here.
cheers.gif
Herzlich Willkommen !!!!
Ich bin die maggie ( Margit ) und lebe in Alaska.
I am Maggie and live in Alaksa. I too made a long time dream come true and opened a B&B> I am in my second summer.
Good luck with your venture. Please keep us updated of your progress.
We probably will help wherever we can :)
Tschuess....

Back