Innspiring is getting even more international

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeBen21

Reaction score
Greeting to all of you.
After following this form for a couple of month I finally decide to join you as a member.
Perhaps first I tell you a little about me.
I’m a German guy in his mid 30th, so my first language is not English. Please be patient with my grammar and spelling.
I’m working as a travel agent in Germany. After a tough last year, in which I conquered M. Hodgkin, my DW and I decided to begin a new life. We found a nice B&B in New England, which we now try to purchase.
I hope you will support me with your experience and advices.

Good for you!
Welcome to the forum. We have some German innkeepers on this forum (living in the states).

Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif

Howdy from Texas!
smiley-char092.gif
Welcome to the forum.
.....and don't worry about your grammer and spelling. Have you seen ours?
lol-053.gif
LOL

SeeBen21 said:
Greeting to all of you.
After following this form for a couple of month I finally decide to join you as a member.
I’m a German guy in his mid 30th, so my first language is not English. Please be patient with my grammar and spelling.
I’m working as a travel agent in Germany. After a tough last year, in which I conquered M. Hodgkin, my DW and I decided to begin a new life. We found a nice B&B in New England, which we now try to purchase.
Wilkommen!
Your english is far better than my German!
Please be sure before you purchase that you have the proper documentation to work here. There are some sad stories about people who had to leave and sell their B&B because they could not renew or obtain their working papers. I am hoping since you are buying a business that brings taxes you will not encounter the worst of our red tape and awful paperwork to come here and purchase your business!
Best regards,
Erika

welcome.gif

Where are you looking in New England? (If it's a secret, no need to tell us!)

Welcome! New England is a wonderful area of thre country! Best of luck to you both!

SeeBen21 said:
Greeting to all of you.
Wilkommen!
Please be sure before you purchase that you have the proper documentation to work here. There are some sad stories about people who had to leave and sell their B&B because they could not renew or obtain their working papers. I am hoping since you are buying a business that brings taxes you will not encounter the worst of our red tape and awful paperwork to come here and purchase your business!
Best regards,
Erika.
Danke,
Thank you very much for your advice!
I know it will be a challenge to get a Visa. I guess being a German is also a good thing you always plan everything carefully. We try to get an E2 investor visa. But one step after another now we are still trying to get our B&B.

SeeBen21 said:
Greeting to all of you.
Wilkommen!
Best regards,
Erika.
Danke,
I know it will be a challenge to get a Visa. I guess being a German is also a good thing you always plan everything carefully. We try to get an E2 investor visa. But one step after another now we are still trying to get our B&B.
SeeBen21 said:
Danke,
As my father used to say - my spelling will be awful
"Nichts zum danken, funfzig pfennig, bitte"
We used to think that was so funny when we were little and I have no idea where it originally comes from.. but I will apologize in advance to you for the stupid masses of paperwork ahead of you on your journey.
Best regards,
Erika

SeeBen21 said:
Greeting to all of you.
Wilkommen!
Best regards,
Erika.
Danke,
SeeBen21 said:
Danke,
We used to think that was so funny when we were little and I have no idea where it originally comes from.. but I will apologize in advance to you for the stupid masses of paperwork ahead of you on your journey.
Best regards,
Erika
Hey your German is really good, I guess in our days you will say "cent" instead of "pfennig" that's what we have now from the Euro.
Honestly we choose America as my wife is coming from Singapore and she’s studding at NCU at the moment.
I found paperwork here in Germany even more difficult if you want to open you own business, but you cant be sued if somebody burned themselves over hot coffee
wink_smile.gif

SeeBen21 said:
Greeting to all of you.
Wilkommen!
Best regards,
Erika.
Danke,
SeeBen21 said:
Danke,
Best regards,
Erika
Hey your German is really good, I guess in our days you will say "cent" instead of "pfennig" that's what we have now from the Euro.
Honestly we choose America as my wife is coming from Singapore and she’s studding at NCU at the moment.
I found paperwork here in Germany even more difficult if you want to open you own business, but you cant be sued if somebody burned themselves over hot coffee
wink_smile.gif

Welcome -
Our paperwork is tedious and our legal system is out of control! LOL
Make sure you check out our threads on what to look for when purchasing your property. Unless you are looking into purchasing a B&B that is currently opperating, there are many things to know.
We look forward to hearing about your new life!
wink_smile.gif

:welcome:
Meine kleine bischen deustche ist so schlect ist komish. Especially if I try to say the word "schön" which always makes people laugh.
1) Work permits
2) Zoning
3) Location, location, location.
Viel gluk!
=)
Kk.

Welcome to the forum. At last someone who will see the irony of my last name being "Wirt".

Meine kleine bischen deustche ist so schlect ist komish. Especially if I try to say the word "schön" which always makes people laugh.
1) Work permits
2) Zoning
Viel gluk!
=)
Kk..
Hey, you should hear me trying to pronounce the "th" my wife some times give up to correct me. she just says I'm a hopeless case.
You are right the Work permits will be the most difficult part. As the property we are looking in to is already operated as an B&B we are luck that we don't have to deal with Zoning.
And about Location, yes I have to look deeper in it. Especially as the B&B is not in a "Destination" area and I hope to make the B&B a Location it self. Offer a germany style B&B with typical german Breakfast.

Welcome to the forum. At last someone who will see the irony of my last name being "Wirt"..
Just see it this way – you made your name your profession. If I end up with a B&B I will be a Wirt as a profession.
wink_smile.gif

You did a great job with this Forum. It’s a wealth of information. I already learned much more here than out of any book about opening or running a B&B.

SeeBen21 said:
Greeting to all of you.
Wilkommen!
Best regards,
Erika.
Danke,
SeeBen21 said:
Danke,
Best regards,
Erika
wink_smile.gif

Welcome -
Our paperwork is tedious and our legal system is out of control! LOL
Make sure you check out our threads on what to look for when purchasing your property. Unless you are looking into purchasing a B&B that is currently opperating, there are many things to know.
We look forward to hearing about your new life!
wink_smile.gif

Thanks for the advice. I already read in some posts it will be a challenge with Zoning. Fortunately the B&B I’m looking into was build as a B&B 15 years ago so I don’t have to care about this at least but a lot of other loops are ahead.

1) Work permits
2) Zoning
Viel gluk!
=)
Kk..
Hey, you should hear me trying to pronounce the "th" my wife some times give up to correct me. she just says I'm a hopeless case.
You are right the Work permits will be the most difficult part. As the property we are looking in to is already operated as an B&B we are luck that we don't have to deal with Zoning.
And about Location, yes I have to look deeper in it. Especially as the B&B is not in a "Destination" area and I hope to make the B&B a Location it self. Offer a germany style B&B with typical german Breakfast.
SeeBen21 said:
LOL! Yes, we had a german roommate who was miserable when she learned that our phone number was 593-333... It was horribly hard for her!
You want to check on that, too. In the intervening years there could have been zoning changes that take effect when the property changes ownership. Talk to the zoning inspector, or whoever is there, just to be sure. It could be no biggie (as would be the case here) or it could be that you would have to reapply in order to have the permit transfered to you. Regulations vary wildly from extremely laid back to extremely uptight.
One of the first innkeepers I ever talked with told me that if you have no destination then guests will expect YOU to be their entertainment. I think that's lessened if you are romantic getaway (they bring the entertainment with them!) but it's still more on you... you'll probably have to do dinners, etc.
I, personally, would enjoy a german breakfast, but I'm not sure if a lot of Americans would...
=)
Kk.

Back