Innteresting Inns for Sale

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
The Landslide Inn in Alba Michigan is going into foreclosure. As they were an older couple with no website or directory listings, would probably be more like a startup, (but were in business for a LONG time) but it's a huge nicely kept foursquare...and I think it has 10 bedrooms and a few bathrooms (I don't think all bdrms were used for the Inn). Was for sale for $220k, I wouldn't be suprised to see it go for half that.

No website no directories, why are you telling us without a link to see the info? Post a link if you have one.
wink_smile.gif

Maybe the name had something to do with it. I wouldn't feel very comfortable sleeping in the Landslide Inn.

The Landslide is actually part of a popular nearby wilderness area, and one of the trails with a scenic overlook is the "Landslide Lookout and Trail". The Inn is quite close to that area, and I'm guessing they took their name from that trail.
I got the phone call from a realtor friend who is listing it for the bank who is foreclosing, and they want him to give an estimate of value, so he called to pick my brain about value as a B&B versus value as a residence. So, right now there is no "link" to give for the sale...this is sort of a "headsup" for any aspirings who might be interested in Northern Michigan...I would be happy to give the realtors name and number to anyone who would like to inquire about it, just email me. Not being familiar with foreclosures, I don't know what the opportunities are right now as opposed to after foreclosure is complete.
Maybe I've jumped the gun putting the word out, but I've ALWAYS wanted someone in there who would and could do something with it...as is a beautiful old home. Was listed for sale for a couple of years for $219k...but having had no website or online presence, I guess they just couldn't get anyone interested. I should have saved some of the interior photos when they were online.
I do have this photo from last winter, and the address is 5783 Alba Hwy, Alba, MI 49611 for anyone who cares to checkout the location.
Landslide%20Inn.jpg

It's gorgeous. Do you have any details about acreage???.
If I remember correctly, I think it's a plat within the village...and maybe two lots? I'm sorry, I don't know that for sure. It's about a block in from the highway, and so is very easy to find, yet isolated from the highway noise. Alba is "snowmobile central" in the winter, and I always thought the location would be a big draw for the active guest.
Given the fact that it's so large and has so many rooms, I would think it would work well for your situation, penelope!

The Landslide is actually part of a popular nearby wilderness area, and one of the trails with a scenic overlook is the "Landslide Lookout and Trail". The Inn is quite close to that area, and I'm guessing they took their name from that trail.
I got the phone call from a realtor friend who is listing it for the bank who is foreclosing, and they want him to give an estimate of value, so he called to pick my brain about value as a B&B versus value as a residence. So, right now there is no "link" to give for the sale...this is sort of a "headsup" for any aspirings who might be interested in Northern Michigan...I would be happy to give the realtors name and number to anyone who would like to inquire about it, just email me. Not being familiar with foreclosures, I don't know what the opportunities are right now as opposed to after foreclosure is complete.
Maybe I've jumped the gun putting the word out, but I've ALWAYS wanted someone in there who would and could do something with it...as is a beautiful old home. Was listed for sale for a couple of years for $219k...but having had no website or online presence, I guess they just couldn't get anyone interested. I should have saved some of the interior photos when they were online.
I do have this photo from last winter, and the address is 5783 Alba Hwy, Alba, MI 49611 for anyone who cares to checkout the location.
Landslide%20Inn.jpg
Yes this would be a start up then as they really have no business to sell ...at least it doesn't appear so. Winter season only?? or are there other attractions that would draw in off season guests?? Are they close to ski areas.?

Landslide%20Inn.jpg
Yes this would be a start up then as they really have no business to sell ...at least it doesn't appear so. Winter season only?? or are there other attractions that would draw in off season guests?? Are they close to ski areas.?
While they had no online presence, they did have a pretty good repeat customer base. As I stated, they are just a couple of miles South of the Jordan River Valley, with:
  • the Jordan River, a Michigan designated "Wild Scenic river" with two canoe liveries nearby
  • the Jordan Valley Pathway with trails up to 18 miles long and several campsites and soon to be a part of the "North Country National Scenic Trail" which when finished, will extend 4000 miles from New York to North Dakota
  • the Warner Creek Pathway with trails up to seven miles long
  • Miles and miles of snowmobile, hiking, cross country, snowshoe and horseback trails and stables nearby.
On top of all that, halfway between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, 20 minutes to three major Michigan Ski and Golf Resorts and world-famous Torch Lake, and an hour or less to Mackinac Island, Petoskey, Traverse City, Harbor Springs and Charlevoix and about an hour and a half to Sleeping Bear Dunes.
So yeah...while Alba itself is a sleepy little burg that could barely be called a town, there is plenty of stuff to do all seasons. I think winter and summer would be equally busy for them. Spring would be the slowest time. The only downfall I see is the drive involved to really decent restaurants...15 to 20 minutes at the least.

On top of all that, halfway between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, 20 minutes to three major Michigan Ski and Golf Resorts and world-famous Torch Lake, and an hour or less to Mackinac Island, Petoskey, Traverse City, Harbor Springs and Charlevoix and about an hour and a half to Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Skiiers, snowboarders, stay at the resorts, not 20 minutes away. If the realtor can provide proof of income/revenue that would be helpful for the sale, but chances are if it is in forecosure they are just off loading it. So the business = $0.0 for the sale.
Sorry, just speculating since there is no information on it. I hope the realtor can dig some of this up, you might have a couple interested parties here on the forum.

Joe...I can vouch for the fact that skiiers and boarders do NOT just stay at the resorts. While we are a little farther away from the same ski resorts, they keep us plenty busy all winter. Even more than the hardcore skiiers, we get guests who want to ski or board as just one part of their stay, or those who utlize more than one of the nearby resorts during a long weekend stay and just don't want to stay where the loud groups stay. In addition to that, I know they had a big base with the snowmobilers, with the trail being right there, and we don't get ANY snowmobilers here.
I'm not saying that the business aspect of the place is worth anything, I never said that. I did say that they have a good repeat base and were in business for a long time to show that the location must have something going for it, considering the absence of advertising. That being said, it is set up for and has been used as a B&B, so an aspiring would perhaps have less work setting it up for use as a B&B.... likely existing owners quarters, large functional kitchen, 10 bedrooms, some (four at least) with adjoining baths, the possibility of being able to pick up some of the furnishings and fixtures (I don't know the specifics, but that's a possibility). I would have been happy to have any of that when we bought this place for a startup. And I think that place is twice the size of our place, and will go for far less than we paid for this one in 2002.
Like I said, I wouldn't be suprised to see it go for a song. Having been through the startup of an Inn, I see the possibilities through the lense of our trials and tribulations. If it had been for sale when we were looking, I would have considered it, or at least checked it out. If I wasn't clear, the realtor was asking me what it was listed for as a B&B, what I knew about the size, etc, and what I thought it might be worth as a residence alone. Once the bank gets their hands on it, it will likely be listed as a residence, not a B&B. In a weird way, that's better for an aspiring anyway, in terms of getting it financed.

Hey Little Blue - any word from your friend on this one? It would be interesting to see how it pans out.

I haven't heard anything, but if you want to email me, I can give you his contact information...just use the email button below my photo.

Another Michigan Inn...and CHEAP! This one has been closed for a short while.
Church Street Manor
Birch Run/Frankenmuth
SW Region

[/td]
churchstmanor.jpg

[/td]3 Bedroom
$184,900

[/td]Church Street Manor
[/td][/tr][tr]This gorgeous, extra clean centennial bed and breakfast offers three guest rooms, owners master suite, beautiful hardwood floor and original wood trim, doors, and pillars. 2 car garage, new cedar privacy fence, spacious patio, hot tub (negotiable) sitting on .67 acres. Full basement, appliances, and much more. Steady stream of repeat and new guests visiting Michigan’s number one tourist destination – Frankenmuth and Prime Outlets of Birch Run less then a mile away. A complete turn key business that is ideal for a bed and breakfast, private residence, or both. $184,900. Please call 989-624-4500 to set up an appointment or for more information.[/td][/tr][/table]

Church Street Manor
Birch Run/Frankenmuth
SW Region

[/td]
churchstmanor.jpg

[/td]3 Bedroom
$184,900

[/td]Church Street Manor
[/td][/tr][tr]This gorgeous, extra clean centennial bed and breakfast offers three guest rooms, owners master suite, beautiful hardwood floor and original wood trim, doors, and pillars. 2 car garage, new cedar privacy fence, spacious patio, hot tub (negotiable) sitting on .67 acres. Full basement, appliances, and much more. Steady stream of repeat and new guests visiting Michigan’s number one tourist destination – Frankenmuth and Prime Outlets of Birch Run less then a mile away. A complete turn key business that is ideal for a bed and breakfast, private residence, or both. $184,900. Please call 989-624-4500 to set up an appointment or for more information.[/td][/tr][/table].
This is in a PRIME location!!!! Being from MI, when I visit I must go to Frankenmuth and even though it has become even more of a heavy tourist spot, I still find the charm. If I was in the market, I would seriously consider this place....
This price just goes to show how very desperate things have become in MI... I recently heard a realtor in MI state that the average price for a house for sale in Detroit is currently $7500.... no I did not forget any zeros!!! This is sad!

is the area depressed? would guests come, do you think? i know nothing of the area.

Church Street Manor
Birch Run/Frankenmuth
SW Region

[/td]
churchstmanor.jpg

[/td]3 Bedroom
$184,900

[/td]Church Street Manor
[/td][/tr][tr]This gorgeous, extra clean centennial bed and breakfast offers three guest rooms, owners master suite, beautiful hardwood floor and original wood trim, doors, and pillars. 2 car garage, new cedar privacy fence, spacious patio, hot tub (negotiable) sitting on .67 acres. Full basement, appliances, and much more. Steady stream of repeat and new guests visiting Michigan’s number one tourist destination – Frankenmuth and Prime Outlets of Birch Run less then a mile away. A complete turn key business that is ideal for a bed and breakfast, private residence, or both. $184,900. Please call 989-624-4500 to set up an appointment or for more information.[/td][/tr][/table].
I looked it up and it has 3 guestrooms - one with tiny bath in closet w/small shower and two upstairs that share a bathroom with a tub in it. Got it from a review on T A who said owners did not live onsite and also said: The location leaves a little to be desired. It is right next door to a large public school complex (administration building, elementary and high school buildings); and right across the street from a church.
As has been said Frankenmuth is a vary traveled to location.

is the area depressed? would guests come, do you think? i know nothing of the area..
Yes, but that same review gave 4 out of five "stars", too. That place was in business for a long time, but he did not spend much on marketing, and never really took advantage of the review process either.
I can't speak of the Inn's immediate area or neighborhood, but the town of Frankenmuth is a tourist haven. Close to I-75, all of the state's metropolitan areas and many tourist attractions, including Bronners (one of the world's largest Christmas stores), Michigan's largest outlet shopping center and other "bavarian village" type attractions and famous restaurants.
The owner was obviously burned out by the time this place closed...but the reputation is such that it could easily go forward (does not have a negative reputation), and it's a "can't-miss" for the price. Seems to have a sizeable owner's quarters, so anything is possible. Two shared baths? So, where else can you buy a house that size and age in that shape for that price?
I know of one better deal farther North....but this might be second best.
tounge_smile.gif

is the area depressed? would guests come, do you think? i know nothing of the area..
Yes, but that same review gave 4 out of five "stars", too. That place was in business for a long time, but he did not spend much on marketing, and never really took advantage of the review process either.
I can't speak of the Inn's immediate area or neighborhood, but the town of Frankenmuth is a tourist haven. Close to I-75, all of the state's metropolitan areas and many tourist attractions, including Bronners (one of the world's largest Christmas stores), Michigan's largest outlet shopping center and other "bavarian village" type attractions and famous restaurants.
The owner was obviously burned out by the time this place closed...but the reputation is such that it could easily go forward (does not have a negative reputation), and it's a "can't-miss" for the price. Seems to have a sizeable owner's quarters, so anything is possible. Two shared baths? So, where else can you buy a house that size and age in that shape for that price?
I know of one better deal farther North....but this might be second best.
tounge_smile.gif

I really was not knocking it as a possibility. Was just pointing out some possible flaws. I do not knock shared baths - I have one. We have some wannabees here who are looking. I have seen worse locations. I know what a draw that area has. Chicago people go there like flies to the honeypot.

Back