Insensitive Words Can Create Sensitive Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]Insensitive Words Can Create Sensitive Guests | By Roberta Nedry [/COLOR]http://t.co/3eQJm0O5
(JB lengthier article than I prefer, but good points are made!)

Oh ain't that article the truth!
I had an argument with a billing dept once when they kept insisting I was a 'new' customer when I had been a customer for 7 years! I was supposed to be getting a 'preferred' customer rate but the billing office kept saying, 'No, it says right here that you are a new customer.' I gave dates when I had used the service. No go. The computer was right, I was lying.
She called back and apologized. THAT took a lot of courage and impressed me quite a bit. However, the apology referred back to the 'system' and blamed everything on that. Oops, apology lost a lot of its impact at that point.
We had a situation like the one described where hotel employees were banging on our door in the middle of the night stating they were from room service once and another time that a fire had been called in at the front desk. I brought it up at the front desk in the morning. The manager came out with a bottle of champagne and an apology for the disturbance and said he would check into the calls to see if they could find out which room had placed them.

this reminds me of a situation I had on Wednesday morning which was a complete farce (not caused by me by the way) we use an agency called soveriegn as a booking agent for a particular conference they book us up 2 nights full house however the customer service between them and the customers (they are fine with us) is ridiculous. 2 delegates stays had been paid for (1) by the NHS (ie they paid soverign who were supposed to pay us) and (2) by a pharmaceutical company.
situation number 1 they were two colleagues they had paid me for 1 but not the other
Situation 2 - they had lost the money till about 7 days before the event leaving the lady to chase it all the time and was a nightmare then they had found it but forgotten to pay me. You would think at that point they would have been trying hard not to mess her about any more than they already had but no!
Both ladies had all their paperwork even photocopies of the cheques that had been sent to soveriegn so I took their mobiles and knew they were at the conference all day so I could call them back to pay if needs be. If I was a chain hotel they would have made them pay tough luck! rang soveriegn they freely admitted they had cocked up and paid me over the phone but that's not the point is it? I then rang the ladies and confirmed that it was all sorted. Plus lady number 1 had to get to a breakfast meeting didn't need the hassel. I just told her not to worry about it and I'd get it sorted out so having used this agency before for about 10 years It wouldn't be th first time they have cocked up. But it is all about how you handle it I took the attitude of don't worry we will get it sorted but I know in a big hotel it would have been a tough S**t situation and if you wern't expecting to shell out £180 just before christmas then I would't be happy!

I have a problem withholding irritation with people who get lost because they DID NOT READ OUR DIRECTIONS. DW has to nudge me when I get a little aggressive with these, usually wonderful people, who are directionally challenged.
Once they are at our door, I need to just let it go. DW is much better at this because she's the nice one and was involved in customer relations for over 30 years. Unfortunately, she's had her fill of that so I get to be the official greeter.
I used to be much worse at venting to the guest ( a definite no no). I'm getting better.
Since we moved to ReservationKey, I've decided I need to set up a reminder letter to be sent several days before their arrival to remind them to print our directions and to call us if they are not going to arrive at their scheduled time. I realized that guests who book months in advance may have read my instructions when they received their confirmation, but had simply forgot by the time their trip rolled around.

I have a problem withholding irritation with people who get lost because they DID NOT READ OUR DIRECTIONS. DW has to nudge me when I get a little aggressive with these, usually wonderful people, who are directionally challenged.
Once they are at our door, I need to just let it go. DW is much better at this because she's the nice one and was involved in customer relations for over 30 years. Unfortunately, she's had her fill of that so I get to be the official greeter.
I used to be much worse at venting to the guest ( a definite no no). I'm getting better.
Since we moved to ReservationKey, I've decided I need to set up a reminder letter to be sent several days before their arrival to remind them to print our directions and to call us if they are not going to arrive at their scheduled time. I realized that guests who book months in advance may have read my instructions when they received their confirmation, but had simply forgot by the time their trip rolled around..
Oh yeah baby that "Your Stay with us is 3 days away!" is bonza! Remind them that check in time begins at (and we do not allow early check ins) and directions. I love that! They think we are "thinking" about them too. Esp wording it in that way. PS That has cut down on early check ins AND too late of check ins as well, as they are reminded they will have a self check in note when they arrive.
PT for you this may be a diff scenario than for us, as our guests, many are staying in a diff B&B every night for a week or so. Where yours are not on a road trip as such, but staying with you as a destination getaway. BUT they don't print this off, I might ask they print off the directions.
BTW I have a killer blog article on GPS and directions, it is post dated, but it is a good un!

Back