Insurance company member of a state association

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
So if an insurance company becomes a member of a state B&B association they are given approval to solicit all other members? or ex members, or non members, saying they are members and think they can help us with our insurance needs?
Then call and leave a message asking if we got the letter about them being members of the state association and we should discuss our insurance needs with them?
FORD INSURANCE

I hate this. I think you should send THEM a letter and email and then call next week touting how YOU can help THEM with their accommodations needs.

I suspect it's more than just joining the assn. I suspect, in many cases though perhaps not this one, that the assn. is getting a significant payment for the use of the assn. membership list, and blessing from the board to solicit business from the members.
It's kind of like college boards selling rights to name the football stadium. It's easy money they just can't resist.

We have had insurance companies join as Associate Members. They paid the same price as members to belong, just had no voting rights. However I do not recall getting any extra mailings from them (they also - James W - were sponsors for our Conferences) more than I got from any other insurance company. Our membership list is on the web for all to see - we have a directory plus we publish a Directory to keep in glove box or briefcase.

Reminds me of the old "church directory" trick. Slip into a church and grab a directory that has names, address, photos and even birth-dates of the kids. People have been able to do a ton of things with that!
Or when an inn I didn't know was mentioned to me by a marketer for an online reservation system "So and so said you would be really interested in this" I didn't even know so and so, it was a real stretch! That was the Nexxus Product, btw and the inn was The Depot Lodge in Paint Bank, and if she googles and reads this, I still don't know them! haha

We also had ins companies and other related businesses as assoc. members, still do. None ever sent letters or emails touting their product or service but they did come up to me in person hand me a card and asked if I would keep them in mind - nothing more.
These agents and such would do brief seminars at our meetings to give out general information etc.

We also had ins companies and other related businesses as assoc. members, still do. None ever sent letters or emails touting their product or service but they did come up to me in person hand me a card and asked if I would keep them in mind - nothing more.
These agents and such would do brief seminars at our meetings to give out general information etc..
copperhead said:
These agents and such would do brief seminars at our meetings to give out general information etc.
Yes, most vendor members of associations are good members, helping by buying booth space at shows, giving seminars without charging, etc. But some are bound to abuse the membership by pressing a little to hard to make sales to other members. That is, of course, the only reason they joined.

I don't know how it is now, but our vendors got space at conference and listing on website, usually gave their pitch in a class, but we never gave out innkeeper information. Of course, that doesn't stop them from grabbing it from the web site ;-( Sorry to hear this.
If this has happened in our state, I would contact the association and COMPLAIN!

Insurance Company home office websites should be designed to assist inquiring people and insurance company agents. However, regarding their captive insurance agents, these home office websites are not set up right. The insurance company home offices wants the business direct, thereby depriving their own captive insurance agents.
http://www.insurance4motortrade.co.uk

Insurance Company home office websites should be designed to assist inquiring people and insurance company agents. However, regarding their captive insurance agents, these home office websites are not set up right. The insurance company home offices wants the business direct, thereby depriving their own captive insurance agents.
http://www.insurance4motortrade.co.uk

Back