Insurance for our B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins House

Reaction score
Dear Friends,
We are trying to find reasonable insurance to cover our dwelling, its contents, and the operation of the B&B. We would appreciate any info you can provide. We have been in operation for 4 years, have never had a claim but our rate jumped $500 for the next year.
Thanks,
Lou Jobin
Higgins House Sanford Fl
407-324-9238

Being in Hurricane Alley does not help you. I have insurance with Eire but it is just CYA, not the coverage one gets with JW (or the premiums they charge).

I have my insurance through this agency at a considerable savings from the prior policy with another agent. You might check to see if they write policies in FL

HH my policy went up $1000 with Western World with no claims. (note this was only the Fire/Theft/Liability portion) I have looked as well at others but everyone that would give me a quote were even higher and less protection. I too will look into Innkeeps contact to see what they can do for me. But so far I am bummed.

I was recently talking to a P A I I member who said she was extremely happy with the insurance they got through them. No hoops to jump through, very simple approval process and the money she saved paid for her P A II membership.
I've never been a member, so don't have a bias for/against it... my disclaimer for those of you who do.

I was recently talking to a P A I I member who said she was extremely happy with the insurance they got through them. No hoops to jump through, very simple approval process and the money she saved paid for her P A II membership.
I've never been a member, so don't have a bias for/against it... my disclaimer for those of you who do..
PAII does not offer insurance. They do have vendors though.

I've never been a member, so don't have a bias for/against it... my disclaimer for those of you who do..
I think that's what I meant
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

K9 said:
But what's the company they chose?

We have ours through the " You're in good hands." Insurance company. it's somewhat convoluted because of our situation, so your experience will vary depending on your coverage.
We have $1M liability coverage for the B&B. That covers anything on our property that a guest could find to get themselves into trouble. We then have a standard homeowner's policy with total contents replacement. Then there is an umbrella policy that covers any gray areas between our home and the L.L.C. We also have policies on our car, utility vehicle and tractor.
I was compelled to get a ministerial rider policy when I started to marry people. This only allows for up to 6 guests plus the bride and groom. If we want to do full-blown weddings and not just elopements, that's another $500 per year.

We have ours through the " You're in good hands." Insurance company. it's somewhat convoluted because of our situation, so your experience will vary depending on your coverage.
We have $1M liability coverage for the B&B. That covers anything on our property that a guest could find to get themselves into trouble. We then have a standard homeowner's policy with total contents replacement. Then there is an umbrella policy that covers any gray areas between our home and the L.L.C. We also have policies on our car, utility vehicle and tractor.
I was compelled to get a ministerial rider policy when I started to marry people. This only allows for up to 6 guests plus the bride and groom. If we want to do full-blown weddings and not just elopements, that's another $500 per year..
PT do you think they did this because you have cottages instead of all under the same roof? We were told no way several times by our old agent - same company. He told me they 'don't insure B&B's'. We had them before we opened so really wanted to stay. I may contact them again to try, my old agent is retired, went to another for our cars and he retired, now have his son. DANG I'm getting old!!!

I was compelled to get a ministerial rider policy when I started to marry people. This only allows for up to 6 guests plus the bride and groom. If we want to do full-blown weddings and not just elopements, that's another $500 per year..
PT do you think they did this because you have cottages instead of all under the same roof? We were told no way several times by our old agent - same company. He told me they 'don't insure B&B's'. We had them before we opened so really wanted to stay. I may contact them again to try, my old agent is retired, went to another for our cars and he retired, now have his son. DANG I'm getting old!!!
copperhead said:
I know several of the policies are underwritten by TAPCO. I believe they specialize in commercial coverage.

copperhead said:
I know several of the policies are underwritten by TAPCO. I believe they specialize in commercial coverage.
Proud Texan said:
copperhead said:
So maybe your good hands agent has spread his arms to also handle other companies. Thanks for pointing me to another source to try, just checked TAPCO and they do write policies in my state.

copperhead said:
Proud Texan said:
copperhead said:
So maybe your good hands agent has spread his arms to also handle other companies. Thanks for pointing me to another source to try, just checked TAPCO and they do write policies in my state.
copperhead said:
Proud Texan said:
copperhead said:
Now keep in mind that you get discounts if you bundle policies, so try to keep all your eggs in one basket.

I just paid mine today. $1817.00 a year for an 8000 sq ft, 12 room Inn. American Hallmark Insurance Company of Texas. I am in Utah.

Back