Interesting Article

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my home town pottery! Thanks for sharing. Almost all of my family have worked and some still do work there. Suffice to say, I worked there for one month during summer break, couldn't take the monontony of the job and the awful heat...it was what made me go back to college GLADLY:)
But, I am proud to hear they are still sticking to it! I count my self as one of the many "fiesta flippers." Any where I go and see the dishes, I always mention "these are from my hometown!" In fact, my home is within about 100 yards of the plant.
I hope the rest of their family feel the same way as the years go on. If this place closed, they may as well bulldoze our town.

This is my home town pottery! Thanks for sharing. Almost all of my family have worked and some still do work there. Suffice to say, I worked there for one month during summer break, couldn't take the monontony of the job and the awful heat...it was what made me go back to college GLADLY:)
But, I am proud to hear they are still sticking to it! I count my self as one of the many "fiesta flippers." Any where I go and see the dishes, I always mention "these are from my hometown!" In fact, my home is within about 100 yards of the plant.
I hope the rest of their family feel the same way as the years go on. If this place closed, they may as well bulldoze our town..
catlady said:
I hope the rest of their family feel the same way as the years go on. If this place closed, they may as well bulldoze our town.
Wow, that's cool you live so close to the plant! My Mom as well as my MIL have Fiesta.

I used to live right next to the Fiesta plant in Los Angeles. The plant shut down and after a few years they wanted to build a shopping complex there. Turns out that for all those years Fiesta was dumping onsite (lead in the paint) and the ground was highly toxic. I would see people in what looked like moon suits working on the property yet we would get letters in the mail telling us we were not at risk. This was prime real estate in LA, and it took many many millions of dollars to clean it up and there was fear the lead had bleached into the ground water. It took several years, but they finally got it all cleaned up.

Their stuff is great and holds up well. I love using it. I had some guests that were all excited that we had fiestaware here and they also lived somewhere near the factory. I hope they can keep it up.

I used to live right next to the Fiesta plant in Los Angeles. The plant shut down and after a few years they wanted to build a shopping complex there. Turns out that for all those years Fiesta was dumping onsite (lead in the paint) and the ground was highly toxic. I would see people in what looked like moon suits working on the property yet we would get letters in the mail telling us we were not at risk. This was prime real estate in LA, and it took many many millions of dollars to clean it up and there was fear the lead had bleached into the ground water. It took several years, but they finally got it all cleaned up..
are you sure it was FIesta by Homer Laughlin? THe only place this was ever made to my knowledge was in WV. I never heard of another plant.

I used to live right next to the Fiesta plant in Los Angeles. The plant shut down and after a few years they wanted to build a shopping complex there. Turns out that for all those years Fiesta was dumping onsite (lead in the paint) and the ground was highly toxic. I would see people in what looked like moon suits working on the property yet we would get letters in the mail telling us we were not at risk. This was prime real estate in LA, and it took many many millions of dollars to clean it up and there was fear the lead had bleached into the ground water. It took several years, but they finally got it all cleaned up..
are you sure it was FIesta by Homer Laughlin? THe only place this was ever made to my knowledge was in WV. I never heard of another plant.
catlady said:
Major blunder on my part! So sorry! I just did some googling and it was Franciscan NOT Fiesta!

catlady said:
Major blunder on my part! So sorry! I just did some googling and it was Franciscan NOT Fiesta!
That's ok. And what do you know..to my surprise, the on line article actually made it into our newspaper today. Takes up about half the page. Oh and if you see my garnish photos elsewhere here...note the Fiestaware:) I have a bunch of different colors I used with the B & B. But have given lots of it away to my niece now.

I grew up in the next county south.of Homer Laughlin. I am also a plate turner. I don't have any of it other than what I get from the seconds room but it is good stuff. Maybe when I leave here and just need dishes for me i will get some.

Back