Interesting change for those considering Airbnb membership

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverspoon

Reaction score
Looks like those in early get an edge. The sharing economy becomes more of a grabbing economy: Air

Alan (rentmore) has subsequently posted on the HomeAway Community discussion forum that he heard from somebody at Air that this was only a test, and that they have gone back to offering their "strict" cancellation policy option for everyone (or something like that).

I double checked mine as the article said some listings had been modified. Mine still had 'strict'. That too is still too flexible for me but is the best Air will do.
Who knows, with the joints expanding in the Air site to capture many different types of accommodations, they may see fit one day to allow each property to have their own policies.
One can hope!

Thanks for the post, I just cancelled my 5 listings on AirBnB. Good-bye,
How sneeky, without notice to owners, they have changed MY cancellation policy.
5 days notice is B.S. and leaves owners at a serious disadvantage.
I will stick with FLIPkey, VRBO and HomeAway
Sadly, AirBnB used to be great, but now it punishes the owners.

We have a three day policy here, and took the five day on Air. I may extend ours to match Air, but as a guest I am more likely to book with a flexible policy. The very strict ones are so off-putting that I feel unwelcome right off the bat. Difficult dance, but guests don't understand how the generous cancellation policies really hurt small properties.

We still have the strict seven days on our listings. Just checked. Thanks for the notice.

And also in the news...in case you have not heard. If you want to be part of Air's Google Ad driving business your way, you will have pay.

And also in the news...in case you have not heard. If you want to be part of Air's Google Ad driving business your way, you will have pay..
I'm not quite understanding this. Is this something I have to opt into or something I have to opt out of after a guest makes a reservation and I find air used my name to get them to the site and now wants to charge me 15% to keep the guest?
And if you don't opt in it sounds like your listing won't show up at all if any of the ads they post include your town or area.
So listing on air is only good if the guest logs in directly and searches inside the site.
And, with the new rates, air stands to make 30% commissions on every booking.

And also in the news...in case you have not heard. If you want to be part of Air's Google Ad driving business your way, you will have pay..
I'm not quite understanding this. Is this something I have to opt into or something I have to opt out of after a guest makes a reservation and I find air used my name to get them to the site and now wants to charge me 15% to keep the guest?
And if you don't opt in it sounds like your listing won't show up at all if any of the ads they post include your town or area.
So listing on air is only good if the guest logs in directly and searches inside the site.
What I got: if you do NOT opt out (which is the default, I assume): then if a particular reservation request / inquiry for your rental can be tracked back to Air's online advertising program, then you the host will be informed that there will be an additional commission to accept that reservation. You still have the option of refusing a booking request.
If you DO opt out, then people who come to Air's platform via their online advertising program will not see your rental in their searches of Air, and you won't be bothered with requests that involve extra commission.

What I got: if you do NOT opt out (which is the default, I assume): then if a particular reservation request / inquiry for your rental can be tracked back to Air's online advertising program, then you the host will be informed that there will be an additional commission to accept that reservation. You still have the option of refusing a booking request.
If you DO opt out, then people who come to Air's platform via their online advertising program will not see your rental in their searches of Air, and you won't be bothered with requests that involve extra commission.
So the option is to cancel a reservation or pay 15%.

Back