Interesting 'full house' policy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, here's a new one...if the wedding or other 'affinity group' cannot manage to rent the whole house, part of the contract they sign is that if they disturb any other guests, they (the group) are responsible to pay for the other guests' room(s).

In my opinion, renting the entire house should be a requisite for any wedding event. No matter how low-key the event is, other guests will be affected.

I agree. How would they enforce this? All the wedding party would have to do is issue a charge back.
We picked up a wine tour at a B&B this past weekend that was all but a couple of rooms rented to a group who were going to a wedding. They told DH that they felt uncomfortable. He did not ask, they just mentioned it.
Riki

We just had a wedding group this weekend and I agree that these groups need to rent the entire house. A group like this is just so much noisier than a house full of separate couples. And the issues
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Family dynamics, attitudes, former tiffs and what-have-you throw a whole new spin on the house. I was telling DW we should collect a $500 non-refundable deposit for wedding groups because of the extra use, abuse and attention these groups demand but she doesn't think that would fly...

We just had a wedding group this weekend and I agree that these groups need to rent the entire house. A group like this is just so much noisier than a house full of separate couples. And the issues
Family dynamics, attitudes, former tiffs and what-have-you throw a whole new spin on the house. I was telling DW we should collect a $500 non-refundable deposit for wedding groups because of the extra use, abuse and attention these groups demand but she doesn't think that would fly....
We get asked about weddings frequently here and that is the answer: "You must rent all 9 rooms for a minimum of two nights, maximum of 20 people in the house, and there is a $1500 fee for hosting the wedding here." That's usually enough to scare 'em away. There are places here though that specialize in weddings and I am happy to refer to them. We will be full for those spring/summer/fall weekends anyway, so I don't know why we'd want the added extra stress of these logistics.
If/when we ever WOULD decide to host weddings, I would still insist they take the whole house, and add a non-refundable deposit, your time/energy/attention are definitely worth it.

Family dynamics, attitudes, former tiffs and what-have-you throw a whole new spin on the house. I was telling DW we should collect a $500 non-refundable deposit for wedding groups because of the extra use, abuse and attention these groups demand but she doesn't think that would fly....
We get asked about weddings frequently here and that is the answer: "You must rent all 9 rooms for a minimum of two nights, maximum of 20 people in the house, and there is a $1500 fee for hosting the wedding here." That's usually enough to scare 'em away. There are places here though that specialize in weddings and I am happy to refer to them. We will be full for those spring/summer/fall weekends anyway, so I don't know why we'd want the added extra stress of these logistics.
If/when we ever WOULD decide to host weddings, I would still insist they take the whole house, and add a non-refundable deposit, your time/energy/attention are definitely worth it.
Yep, 50% non-refundable deposit and whole house rental, then you won't get the last minute cancels, serious inquiries only.... When you try to please everyone, it never works out. Learned it the hard way people!
tounge_smile.gif

I agree with the 'you must take the whole house' and that's what we've done here. The place we were just at has 11 rooms and they don't always get the whole place booked. If not, they try to get the wedding party to stay in one or the other house, but not both. For me, I would rather say, 'You must take the whole house whether you need the whole house or not.' But, this has worked for them in the past.
I'm going to email them and tell them that they'd be better off just telling the guests they have to book all the rooms in one building rather than taking a chance on one room being outnumbered and upset, even if they subsequently get their room for free.
Now whether they care about my opinion or not is up to them...but they seemed very amenable to the topics we covered and how we handle them.

I agree with the 'you must take the whole house' and that's what we've done here. The place we were just at has 11 rooms and they don't always get the whole place booked. If not, they try to get the wedding party to stay in one or the other house, but not both. For me, I would rather say, 'You must take the whole house whether you need the whole house or not.' But, this has worked for them in the past.
I'm going to email them and tell them that they'd be better off just telling the guests they have to book all the rooms in one building rather than taking a chance on one room being outnumbered and upset, even if they subsequently get their room for free.
Now whether they care about my opinion or not is up to them...but they seemed very amenable to the topics we covered and how we handle them..
I dunno, this might actually work for them with good reason. It may result in the non-wedding guests getting free stay (even if they were awaken a few times, they may still be happy with the free stay). For the wedding guests, they get the option of choosing their expenses....keep quiet and only pay for the rooms you need...whoop it up and pay the price.
It sounds funny reading it as a policy, but I can envision that it could actually work, causing them to get more wedding parties that are smaller. Parties that would go elsewhere if they were forced from the very begining to book the entire inn.

Now whether they care about my opinion or not is up to them...but they seemed very amenable to the topics we covered and how we handle them..
I dunno, this might actually work for them with good reason. It may result in the non-wedding guests getting free stay (even if they were awaken a few times, they may still be happy with the free stay). For the wedding guests, they get the option of choosing their expenses....keep quiet and only pay for the rooms you need...whoop it up and pay the price.
It sounds funny reading it as a policy, but I can envision that it could actually work, causing them to get more wedding parties that are smaller. Parties that would go elsewhere if they were forced from the very begining to book the entire inn.
What they told me was that when they had to enforce it, each room paid part of the other guests' stay. Now this place seems to get a party-minded crowd. I heard some hair-raising stories and you all know what's happened here. I wouldn't swap my stories for theirs at all.

Back