interesting groupon experence

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
I did not do Groupon but my daughter bought me a Groupon for acupunture. Today I made the appointment and was told that I need to give my cc number. I ask why and she said that if I don't show up I will be charged for the full visit. $175. I told her I really did understand this and I was very interested in this from a business point of view. She said if they have no show they would charge because they could have booked that app for someone else. This is a great way to look at it from an innkeepers stand point too. Has anyone done this. If you haven't they why not? I am sure there would be a lot of charge backs with this but it makes sense to me. I was fine with this at the dr because I get it from a business stand point. I ask the Drs office the question do they take off the $35 off the visit ( that was paid for Groupon) when charging for no shows. She said yes. She also said that people that give the cc number are less likely to cancel. I agree with that. She said this is their second time to do it and no one has cancelled yet. She was very informative. Any thoughts?

I would hope that in this case, you're not charged until the time of service. In other words, if they're taking the credit card number they should not be running it until either you show up for your appointment with the Groupon, or you fail to show without cancelling the appt (when they charge in full).
Taking the credit card does make people have some investment in the appt.

Most retailers accepting vouchers ("coupons") will consider the voucher forfeit if there is a no-show, thereby extinguishing both the paid and promotional value. If a retailer charged you full cost for a no-show, then presumably the original voucher is still good and they owe you a future service.

I would hope that in this case, you're not charged until the time of service. In other words, if they're taking the credit card number they should not be running it until either you show up for your appointment with the Groupon, or you fail to show without cancelling the appt (when they charge in full).
Taking the credit card does make people have some investment in the appt..
No they are not going to charge the card at all if I show up. Just if I don't show at all. I think this would keep people from booking and just not showing up at a bed and breakfast.

Sandynn, I looked into groupon and this is the deal, they have the groupn #'s on file. You give them that #. You shouldn't be giving them your CC at all, in fact that is part of this whole "appeal" is that you don't do that, if the person doesn't show then the groupon is still redeemed. You tell groupon and they will sort it out with the groupon holder, not you. In fact I think what they were asking is illegal according to the groupon terms. IF anything go to groupon and ask a question on their forum, you will get plenty of feedback.

Sandynn, I looked into groupon and this is the deal, they have the groupn #'s on file. You give them that #. You shouldn't be giving them your CC at all, in fact that is part of this whole "appeal" is that you don't do that, if the person doesn't show then the groupon is still redeemed. You tell groupon and they will sort it out with the groupon holder, not you. In fact I think what they were asking is illegal according to the groupon terms. IF anything go to groupon and ask a question on their forum, you will get plenty of feedback..
I didn't know they had a forum. Thanks

Sandynn, I looked into groupon and this is the deal, they have the groupn #'s on file. You give them that #. You shouldn't be giving them your CC at all, in fact that is part of this whole "appeal" is that you don't do that, if the person doesn't show then the groupon is still redeemed. You tell groupon and they will sort it out with the groupon holder, not you. In fact I think what they were asking is illegal according to the groupon terms. IF anything go to groupon and ask a question on their forum, you will get plenty of feedback..
I didn't know they had a forum. Thanks
Let us know what you find out.

Sandy, if the groupon voucher will cover completely what you have booked then there should be no charge to your credit card for a missed appt. They should just write the voucher as redeemed if you do not show.
I do not think it is against Groupon rules to ask for a CC # but I do think it is against their policy to not accept the voucher at its full value as long as it is before the expiration date. For states that have longer expiry laws the voucher then only retains the value actually paid, the promotional value expires on the published date.
We have discussed simular issues before on this forum, and many have voiced they ask for a CC# even if the guest will be using a GC on arrival, I do not see this as anything different.

Sandy, if the groupon voucher will cover completely what you have booked then there should be no charge to your credit card for a missed appt. They should just write the voucher as redeemed if you do not show.
I do not think it is against Groupon rules to ask for a CC # but I do think it is against their policy to not accept the voucher at its full value as long as it is before the expiration date. For states that have longer expiry laws the voucher then only retains the value actually paid, the promotional value expires on the published date.
We have discussed simular issues before on this forum, and many have voiced they ask for a CC# even if the guest will be using a GC on arrival, I do not see this as anything different..
copperhead said:
We have discussed simular issues before on this forum, and many have voiced they ask for a CC# even if the guest will be using a GC on arrival, I do not see this as anything different.
It is different, this is for a service, as you said, is covered by the groupon itself. Even in the B&B groupons (as we know we cannot charge a cc for damages) and if they no show then they forfeit the groupon. If you sold the groupon then you have the groupon #. You redeem it if they no show and then it is done.
Unless you stipulate you require a cc for your lodging groupon to make the reservation, but I am sure you cannot do that.
To another similar item - can and do you require a credit card when you accept the bedandbreakfsat.com gift card? (Not you specifically, I mean any inn that accepts them).

We have discussed simular issues before on this forum, and many have voiced they ask for a CC# even if the guest will be using a GC on arrival, I do not see this as anything different..
copperhead said:
It is different, this is for a service, as you said, is covered by the groupon itself. Even in the B&B groupons (as we know we cannot charge a cc for damages) and if they no show then they forfeit the groupon. If you sold the groupon then you have the groupon #. You redeem it if they no show and then it is done.
Unless you stipulate you require a cc for your lodging groupon to make the reservation, but I am sure you cannot do that.
To another similar item - can and do you require a credit card when you accept the bedandbreakfsat.com gift card? (Not you specifically, I mean any inn that accepts them).
Thanks, JB, for explaining that so well! I had no idea how those Groupons worked!

copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
No difference from any other GC in this case, it is payment for a service or product. Groupon provides all the #'s sold and you are paid for these in 3 installments after the deal has closed. So there is no redemption on the merchant end, but I do believe I read where they request a summary (monthly I think) of the vouchers redeemed by customers for tracking purposes.

Back