Interesting Invoice....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I received an invoice today from DN S Ser vices in Vancou ver today. It says it is for Managed Business Services and lists my domain name, 4 servers, and a mail server. I do not recall ever signing up for this (it does have the name of my hosting company on those server names) and I THINK it is a scam. Anyone know anything about this company? Their web site does nothing to change my opinion.

I get a couple of these scams a year. Anybody can look at "whois" for any website (domain) and see who hosts the domain (unless the domain owner has paid extra to hide the info) and when your domain is up for renewal, then they can mail out false invoices.
Check with your domain host to see the status of your account. If it's paid up and not due to expire now, trash the invoice. If it IS due to renew, then renew through your hosting service, not somebody you never heard of.

Is there any microscopic disclaimers in the margins anywhere? Often, I see these with my bookkeeping clients and am able to convince them not to pay by pointing out the fine print which basically says "we're full of !*&#"

I get a couple of these scams a year. Anybody can look at "whois" for any website (domain) and see who hosts the domain (unless the domain owner has paid extra to hide the info) and when your domain is up for renewal, then they can mail out false invoices.
Check with your domain host to see the status of your account. If it's paid up and not due to expire now, trash the invoice. If it IS due to renew, then renew through your hosting service, not somebody you never heard of..
I posted it mainly to alert our lurkers because it looks like a real invoice. If I had someone else taking care of writing the checks, they may have gotten paid. This sounds like a backup thing, not a domain renew. I know when my domain renews and it is not in the Fall. Also I have my data backed up automatically as it changes. And it is not them.

We get an invoice from a directory every 6 months. We get an invoice every year from the people who sell the employment posters. There are a couple of other ones as well.
Same here. If I didn't go thru the mail first all of those would have been paid. And we would have been many, many hundreds of dollars poorer.
Just because it's an invoice does not mean you have to pay it!

NOTE TO NEWBIES: I knew this was not legit. I posted it so it could be seen to KNOW it was phony. When i was a new innkeeper, I probably would have been fooled by it. The thig that made me look at it long enough to look at their web site was they had my hosting company name. EmptyNest took the time to look up the info - yes, it is all out there for anyone to see who is my host and the ID of their servers.
Lesson is to KNOW who your vendors are and if you are NOT the person who writes the checks, make sure you go over the invoices together for anything that is not an established vendor to verify legitimacy.

There will always be those who are willing to take advantage of others. The best advise is to KNOW who you do business with and watch for these dirt-bags!
We get the poster one every year as well as the many yellow p ages invoices. Since I dropped the real yp ad many years ago, it is an easy toss even before opening.

Not a scam, but when we bought the Lodge, we kept the name and incorporated it before beginning operations. Well, almost immediately, we began receiving dunning phone calls from the telephone company, demanding that we pay an $800 bill for display advertising in the yellow pages from years before. It took for.ev.er to get that straightened out; we finally faxed a copy of the first page of our incorporation papers to the phone company to get them to leave us alone. Despite the breakup of AT&T, the Mafia still doesn't have anything on those folks....
Tom

Back