Interesting 'local' perspective

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I know this is near and dear to JB's heart...a local guy just popped in to give me some biz cards and we were yakking. I mentioned the prices at the local brand name hotel and his take was, 'I only pay $40 in Florida, why would I pay $130 in my hometown?' (BTW, the $130 is a fairly low price in this hometown in season, altho most of the chains go pretty low off season.)
And there you have it.
The reason we don't get locals. The reason we don't advertise in local rags.

and the guy's business cards went right back into his hot little hands or into the recycling i hope. because, is he going to recommend your place? no.
ps i spent quite a bit of time in florida in the past couple of years. what kind of places did he stay at that he paid $40?!

$40? You would have to blindfold and gag me to go to a $40 roach hotel.

ok. i just did a search as though i was going to stay up your way one night may 20 one person. my only requirement was non smoking. i found one place for $59. reviews ranged from 1 star to 5 ... and the negative comments were really bad. next rate was $104.99 and then up from there.

Advertising in our local journals, magazines, and newspapers was a total waste of money for me. Locals never stay here. Most of our guests come from within a 60 mile radius but no locals. Yet, they are always the ones looking for free donations.

and the guy's business cards went right back into his hot little hands or into the recycling i hope. because, is he going to recommend your place? no.
ps i spent quite a bit of time in florida in the past couple of years. what kind of places did he stay at that he paid $40?!.
No, I kept the cards and will hand them out as he has a biz that we have requests for. Whether he will recip or not remains to be seen. He left with some of my cards.
I should be quicker on the uptake when someone insults my price. But, he thought he was commenting on the big chain, not me. Apparently if he needs to send guests somewhere they go to the E- co-n 0.

devil_smile.gif
it's the devil in me!

In response to an ad in the local rag? 0
In response to an article in the City Supplement (which I wrote and took the photo for)? a 2-night rez from a contract guy & his wife who had been here a couple months and soon to return home AND a 1-night w/dinner from a locl guy for his wife's birthday
The last 2 supplements? 0 (and have not been blessed with an article the last 2 years although mentioned in almost all the articles I was tasked to write - City Manager told me to insert biz name because I had only eluded to a bed & breakfast)
With locals, it is word of mouth or nothing. I was able to give an education to a new employee at one of the 3 funeral homes in town as to how they can word mentioning the B & B to out-of-towners when we worked the polls together Tuesday.

In response to an article in the City Supplement (which I wrote and took the photo for)? a 2-night rez from a contract guy & his wife who had been here a couple months and soon to return home AND a 1-night w/dinner from a locl guy for his wife's birthday
The last 2 supplements? 0 (and have not been blessed with an article the last 2 years although mentioned in almost all the articles I was tasked to write - City Manager told me to insert biz name because I had only eluded to a bed & breakfast)
With locals, it is word of mouth or nothing. I was able to give an education to a new employee at one of the 3 funeral homes in town as to how they can word mentioning the B & B to out-of-towners when we worked the polls together Tuesday..
I used to write a cooking column in the local rag. That also got me nothing. Paid stuff is virtually useless close to home. A nice article written up about the place can be priceless, especially if it gets picked up for something quirky or topical.
My brief brush with fame a few years back still gets me some biz, but many people still say, 'I saw your ad...' they don't see it as an article for some reason. Maybe because it is too short?

Since local people don't stay at the B&Bs/inns or hotels in their hometown, they're clueless about the rates. They also don't comprehend everything that's included. I know that happened here. There is an economy place on one of the main drags here that advertises weekly rates that are only slightly higher than the nightly rates at the nice hotels & B&Bs. Gee, do you think there's a reason? dur.
Some friends of mine ate breakfast at a nearby restaurant that's trying to be "upscale". They paid $40 for 3 people. They stayed here on their wedding night and said the breakfast there didn't hold a candle to what we served them. 'Nuff said.
wink_smile.gif
Some people just want to vacation on the cheap.

With locals, it is word of mouth or nothing. I was able to give an education to a new employee at one of the 3 funeral homes in town as to how they can word mentioning the B & B to out-of-towners when we worked the polls together Tuesday..
I used to write a cooking column in the local rag. That also got me nothing. Paid stuff is virtually useless close to home. A nice article written up about the place can be priceless, especially if it gets picked up for something quirky or topical.
My brief brush with fame a few years back still gets me some biz, but many people still say, 'I saw your ad...' they don't see it as an article for some reason. Maybe because it is too short?
Morticia said:
"Brief brush with fame"??? Explain!!!

Morticia said:
Country Girl said:
Morticia said:
A couple of lines in Everyday with Rachael Ray. A photo I took was published in there as well.

Morticia said:
Country Girl said:
Morticia said:
A couple of lines in Everyday with Rachael Ray. A photo I took was published in there as well.
Morticia said:
Country Girl said:
Morticia said:
That's amazing! Congratulations!

Back