Interesting Opportunity for Aspiring Innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at the link (out of curiosity, I already have a B&B position!). Owners will continue to run the inn, but no longer live on-site; what they are offering seems reasonable: physical presence, maybe light work in return for free housing, with pay if asked to take over full duties during an owner vacation, like an innsitter. This is similar to camp hosts at state and federal campgrounds and at smaller private RV parks: free camping, look after the place, someone else cleans the toilets..
Well yes, I guess you are right but sorry, I still wouldn't do it for nothing...unless you have your own income and are wanting to get some training to become an innkeeper. But then they probably wouldn't hire you because you have no experience. To me...I would never consider such a thing.
I've found that, when people aren't paid a fair wage, they sometimes feel justified in taking things from the business to make up the difference. Starts with paper clips and rubber bands and can grow from there. It doesn't always happen. It doesn't usually happen. But it does happen.
You are right. Just the other day I caught the breakfast server sneaking a piece of bacon ;)
When we owned a restaurant here in the 1990s, one day we caught a cook's helper sneaking out the back door with an entire beef roast under her coat! There's no telling what they took that we never knew about. We may know when they're sneaking a piece of bacon. It's what we don't know about that worries me.
I have always felt that those who are fairly paid are less likely to steal than the ones who feel cheated by low wages. But who knows. It's just my best guess. Most people are honest, but they also have a sense of fairness. If we treat them unfairly they are more likely to rationalize that it's fair for them to slip out with a few bonuses they feel they richely deserve.
I hope you all caught the ;)
Tom said:
I hope you all caught the ;)
Definitely!

Back