Interesting Opportunity for Aspiring Innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I saw this ad that was just posted. Possibility of hands on experience, but you'd have to have a stash of money to live on while there.

This will make an interesting income tax filing as there is no pay - so nothing decucted - but the benefit of the living quarters IS a taxable item.

The grounds are sure pretty. Nothing like the Oregon coast for wild ocean beauty. Hmmmmmm.....
regular_smile.gif

Hmmm live there and work for no pay...sorry that doesn't sound appealing to me. How are they to eat? Health Insurance, etc etc.

Unless there is a retirement income coming in or some kind of $$ I don't see anyone doing the "hosting" (I guess that is what they would be doing) for no money-we don't make much at this job, but we it makes no sense in the not being paid, how do you cover your personal expenses? food, personal items etc? it makes no sense unless as i stated there is a retirement income, then it would make some kind of sense...

This will make an interesting income tax filing as there is no pay - so nothing decucted - but the benefit of the living quarters IS a taxable item..
Wow... this wouldn't fly around here. So many violations of law. Taxes to be paid, salary to be paid, etc. Even if you managed to calculate it as a wash (zero), you would end up with taxes to pay and withholding taxes to pay.

I just looked at the link (out of curiosity, I already have a B&B position!). Owners will continue to run the inn, but no longer live on-site; what they are offering seems reasonable: physical presence, maybe light work in return for free housing, with pay if asked to take over full duties during an owner vacation, like an innsitter. This is similar to camp hosts at state and federal campgrounds and at smaller private RV parks: free camping, look after the place, someone else cleans the toilets.

I just looked at the link (out of curiosity, I already have a B&B position!). Owners will continue to run the inn, but no longer live on-site; what they are offering seems reasonable: physical presence, maybe light work in return for free housing, with pay if asked to take over full duties during an owner vacation, like an innsitter. This is similar to camp hosts at state and federal campgrounds and at smaller private RV parks: free camping, look after the place, someone else cleans the toilets..
Well yes, I guess you are right but sorry, I still wouldn't do it for nothing...unless you have your own income and are wanting to get some training to become an innkeeper. But then they probably wouldn't hire you because you have no experience. To me...I would never consider such a thing.

I just looked at the link (out of curiosity, I already have a B&B position!). Owners will continue to run the inn, but no longer live on-site; what they are offering seems reasonable: physical presence, maybe light work in return for free housing, with pay if asked to take over full duties during an owner vacation, like an innsitter. This is similar to camp hosts at state and federal campgrounds and at smaller private RV parks: free camping, look after the place, someone else cleans the toilets..
Well yes, I guess you are right but sorry, I still wouldn't do it for nothing...unless you have your own income and are wanting to get some training to become an innkeeper. But then they probably wouldn't hire you because you have no experience. To me...I would never consider such a thing.
I've found that, when people aren't paid a fair wage, they sometimes feel justified in taking things from the business to make up the difference. Starts with paper clips and rubber bands and can grow from there. It doesn't always happen. It doesn't usually happen. But it does happen.

It looks to me more like a housesitting gig than an innkeeping gig.
There are whole directories/websites dedicated to housesitting opportunities. The housesitters generally have to be a presence in the home, feed/walk animals as needed, and just clean up after themselves. They don't get paid. The compensation for them is they get to stay somewhere free -- ideally somewhere that is desirable, at least to them. Duration could be for as little as a weekend or as long as a year or more.
Anyhoo, it sounds like the owners of this B&B would do well to advertise on a housesitting site.

There are whole directories/websites dedicated to housesitting opportunities. The housesitters generally have to be a presence in the home, feed/walk animals as needed, and just clean up after themselves. They don't get paid. The compensation for them is they get to stay somewhere free -- ideally somewhere that is desirable, at least to them. Duration could be for as little as a weekend or as long as a year or more.
Anyhoo, it sounds like the owners of this B&B would do well to advertise on a housesitting site..
My son did that, except he 'housesat' a business that had had some break-ins. All he had to do was make it look like someone was on the premises at night. Worked well for him- he didn't need to find an apartment, pay rent, pay utilities. He had a job during the day that paid for his food and gas. Golden opp.
I'd like to housesit. Not greet guests or do work other than maintenance. Just housesit. I can think of some perfect locations for the winter.

Anyhoo, it sounds like the owners of this B&B would do well to advertise on a housesitting site..
My son did that, except he 'housesat' a business that had had some break-ins. All he had to do was make it look like someone was on the premises at night. Worked well for him- he didn't need to find an apartment, pay rent, pay utilities. He had a job during the day that paid for his food and gas. Golden opp.
I'd like to housesit. Not greet guests or do work other than maintenance. Just housesit. I can think of some perfect locations for the winter.
Yep, I'm with you, Madeleine.

I've found that, when people aren't paid a fair wage, they sometimes feel justified in taking things from the business to make up the difference. Starts with paper clips and rubber bands and can grow from there. It doesn't always happen. It doesn't usually happen. But it does happen.
You are right. Just the other day I caught the breakfast server sneaking a piece of bacon ;)

You are right. Just the other day I caught the breakfast server sneaking a piece of bacon ;)
Tom said:
Just one piece? The breakfast server here counts the slices of bacon, counts the number of guests, multiplies by 2, divides and then eats the remainder of the bacon herself! If she can't be bothered doing the math, uh oh!
And I (she) steal pens from other businesses so I don't have to buy any to use here!

When we owned a restaurant here in the 1990s, one day we caught a cook's helper sneaking out the back door with an entire beef roast under her coat! There's no telling what they took that we never knew about. We may know when they're sneaking a piece of bacon. It's what we don't know about that worries me.
I have always felt that those who are fairly paid are less likely to steal than the ones who feel cheated by low wages. But who knows. It's just my best guess. Most people are honest, but they also have a sense of fairness. If we treat them unfairly they are more likely to rationalize that it's fair for them to slip out with a few bonuses they feel they richely deserve.

When we owned a restaurant here in the 1990s, one day we caught a cook's helper sneaking out the back door with an entire beef roast under her coat! There's no telling what they took that we never knew about. We may know when they're sneaking a piece of bacon. It's what we don't know about that worries me.
I have always felt that those who are fairly paid are less likely to steal than the ones who feel cheated by low wages. But who knows. It's just my best guess. Most people are honest, but they also have a sense of fairness. If we treat them unfairly they are more likely to rationalize that it's fair for them to slip out with a few bonuses they feel they richely deserve.
Arkansawyer said:
I have always felt that those who are fairly paid are less likely to steal than the ones who feel cheated by low wages.
Watch 60 minutes or dateline lately? or, ahem any news...Bernie Madoff and others come to mind...
regular_smile.gif

I actually think most people are dishonest. It may even be a petty crime in their own minds, but stealing is stealing, etc. I think most people will lie if you ask them a question. Hard to find those with integrity. You know the old saying about what we do when we think no one is watching...and all that. It is human nature, sin nature.
Oops, did I sidetrack again. Sorry folks...back to the topic.

Arkansawyer said:
I have always felt that those who are fairly paid are less likely to steal than the ones who feel cheated by low wages.
Watch 60 minutes or dateline lately? or, ahem any news...Bernie Madoff and others come to mind...
regular_smile.gif

I actually think most people are dishonest. It may even be a petty crime in their own minds, but stealing is stealing, etc. I think most people will lie if you ask them a question. Hard to find those with integrity. You know the old saying about what we do when we think no one is watching...and all that. It is human nature, sin nature.

I hope you all caught the ;)

Arkansawyer said:
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
regular_smile.gif
Well I don't count Bernie as "fairly paid", but yes, those who are fairly paid are less likely to steal from employers than those who know they're under paid...on the whole. The exceptions do tend to make the newspapers.

Arkansawyer said:
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
regular_smile.gif
Well I don't count Bernie as "fairly paid", but yes, those who are fairly paid are less likely to steal from employers than those who know they're under paid...on the whole. The exceptions do tend to make the newspapers.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
regular_smile.gif
Just an example that there is never enough, people are greedy in all walks of life. Employers and employees will always be at odds. I would like everyone to be fairly paid, but my ideas are never their ideas of a fair wage.

Back