Interesting Side Effect of Blogging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innkeep

Reaction score
OK, everybody. If it wasn't for you guys I know for a fact that I wouldn't be blogging, so I'm still kind of feeling my way around trying to find topics to blog on, and trying to figure out whether it's ever going to drive anybody to my website. So far the clickthrus to my website from the blog have been minimal.
I'm really a very fair-weather basketball fan, but last year I was fascinated by the story of the basketball coach from our state who took his team to the final four and lost to Du ke by only one basket. His story is almost unbelievable, and since my B&B is an hour away from their campus, I blogged about it. Since their team is back in the finals, I have had an incredible number of hits to the blog.
Several things are hard for me to fathom. One is that when I tried to google a few of the search terms, my blog doesn't show up on at least the first 20 pages. I can't figure out why the hits. (Yeah, I know, there are a few hundred people who have some sort of automated gizmo that brings up every last reference or something) My stats don't show the bounce rate, I bet that's pretty high...
stats.jpg

Since as many people end up on the home page as on the specific page of the blog, and since I can assume there will be as many hits over the next week until after the tournament, I should write something on the blog to get them hooked on my place, but since my place is an hour away, and the people are looking for info about a basketball coach and not a B&B, I'm not sure what kind of "bait" I need to get them to read about the B&B. Any ideas about how to exploit this situation will be appreciated.

Maybe a if your comming to the game make a trip of it/weekend away/basketball themed weekend? I don't know your area so is there much other accommodation around?

You can put links galore in there and links to the articles themselves. A Special offer for those just fans (something in their room)?

You tout your place as being only an hour away - away from the turmoil of a university town. I imagine that during the season rooms will be at a premium in the immediate vicinity so you could talk abut the comfort of being so near yet away perhaps. We have had people book for just that reason.

I was contacted by a local family, actually Innkeep he now lives in YOUR STATE and comes back to these mountains every year for an annual apple butter makin' reunion in the Fall. He loves the blog and asked if I could post an article about their family tradition. I said SURE!
People from all over find the blog, do we always get bookings from it? Of course not. But for me I tell ya what, I learn, I love what I learn, it is a great experience and a part of innkeeping I actually really innjoy. It innhances my job here.
Here is the article (half of what he sent) with photos (half of what he sent)... :)
How To Make “Momma’s Apple Butter”[/h3]

Back