Interesting spin on B&B blog

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
I saw this in one of the Blogs to Innspire posts in the left column of this site. It is a blog for a B&B that is written from the point of view of the inn's dog.
I bring this up not to disect that specific blog (good or bad) but to bring up the idea in general. I thought the concept was cute and a good read from a guest / potential guest point of view. As I was reading it though it occurred to me that since we opened our B&B we have had the sun set on two of our dogs lives and I wouldn't want to share that sadness with our guests past present or future.
I am also reminded of a B&B website I ran across that had their dog guide the website visitor on each page of the site, I thought that was cute too until I read the notice on the home page that the dog I had come to know through the tour had passed away due to some illness. That didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling ... more like a sad damp feeling.
I see the positives of having a cute character to play up events at the inn...am I being too morbid at looking farther down the road?

A year or two ago I wrote a blog post about our cats, both indoor and outdoor, because we got so many questions about them and had just gone through the Trap/Neuter/Return process with most of the outdoor cats. I often got requests to meet our indoor cats, and one of my two was obliging; I would carry him out to be petted and he would get some treats. I updated our blog after he passed about a month ago, after a new guest requested to see one of our cats and I realized our remaining cat was going to have none of this meeting of strangers and letting them touch him. We have a lot of repeat guests this month and many of them have commented on that blog post. So I guess it's been helpful to not have to tell the story to those who might expect to see him again, since I'm not very good at telling it yet without tears. If I featured a pet on my website, I think I would remove mention after its passing.

We had a dog/greeter suddenly fall ill and she had to be put down when guests were here. Very traumatic for us and guests. Everytime they came back to the inn they would come in and check on here, and then she was gone. They cried their eyes out. Not a good thing.
But I think that approach with a blog is clever.

We had a dog/greeter suddenly fall ill and she had to be put down when guests were here. Very traumatic for us and guests. Everytime they came back to the inn they would come in and check on here, and then she was gone. They cried their eyes out. Not a good thing.
But I think that approach with a blog is clever..
Considering how many emails my cat gets this might not be a bad idea (if I had time to have a blog on my web site that is).

You might have something there. I just checked the blog and it seems that the dog passed away in July. They're now doing the blog posts coming from the innkeeper(s). It was also interesting to note that they don't accept pets.

You might have something there. I just checked the blog and it seems that the dog passed away in July. They're now doing the blog posts coming from the innkeeper(s). It was also interesting to note that they don't accept pets..
Awwww...it was sad. Their dog had bone cancer. :-(

That post on the dog's life and death (in his POV) is heartbreaking.
I dread the day I have to go through it with my two dogs.

You might have something there. I just checked the blog and it seems that the dog passed away in July. They're now doing the blog posts coming from the innkeeper(s). It was also interesting to note that they don't accept pets..
Oh boy, now I feel like the harbinger of death or something. Poor dog. I hadn't read the blog far enough to know the dog had cancer. :(

It's a cute hook, especially if your property takes pets. However, it might be better to use a fictional character, thereby avoiding the inevitable.

Back