Interim Innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

This is a great site! I have been looking for some one on one suggestions from some real Innkeepers and have been unlucky until now. Hopefully some of you guys can point me in the right directions. My husband has been in the hotel business for over 25 years. I have years of customer service, admin skills. Since our son is grown and out of the house, we really want to work/travel. He suggested looking for companies that hire "interim innkeepers". I didn't realize how much information there is (and isn't) on this service to Innkeepers. I did see a lot of ads for people who provide this service and have built up a reputation. I 've seen NUMEROUS ads on people who do training courses...and of course, visited the PAII site. Now, I'm more confused than ever. I found this website run by YOU GUYS (Innkeepers) and thought this would be the best place to hopefully get some questions answered. My first question is obvious. Is there a big demand for this service for you guys? If so, how do you go about finding the right people to run your place so you can get away? What kind of qualifications, credentials, certifications (?) do you require? I think we would eventually love to own our own, but would like some years of experience behind us before that time comes. I have seen some ads from owners who want to sell and would train, but we are not in that kind of position yet. I would appreciate any an all suggestions and comments from you guys. Thank you in advance for your help!
Lisa and Steve Spiegel

We have a regular "innsitter" here so hopefully she will chime in soon. From my perspective, we only have a small place, so we just closed down when we took vacations. No money for innsitters. I have 3 good friends who do innsit. One barely makes a living at it and the other 2 just dabble as they don't have much business. Lots of variables.
On a more personal note, if you have never run a B & B, then I would be leary about hiring you as an innsitter. I would not be paying you to train to be an innkeeper with my guests in my house. Yes you have some hospitality experience, but to me, it is just not the same thing.

I am also a small inn and when we travel - we close. I feel the personal relationship between innkeeper and guest is too precious to leave to someone else because no matter what their credentials, they are NOT us. I know bigger inns can't afford to close like we do, and I believe they will be your target audience. However - there are a lot of retired innkeepers out there doing what you are thinking of doing, and they have experience. It would seem they would make it difficult to break into this market with no experience running an inn, and I would not find it useful to me that you had taken a class or attended a seminar on innsitting or interim innkeeping, as every inn is very, very different. As different as all the innkeepers using this forum, or more so.

We have a regular "innsitter" here so hopefully she will chime in soon. From my perspective, we only have a small place, so we just closed down when we took vacations. No money for innsitters. I have 3 good friends who do innsit. One barely makes a living at it and the other 2 just dabble as they don't have much business. Lots of variables.
On a more personal note, if you have never run a B & B, then I would be leary about hiring you as an innsitter. I would not be paying you to train to be an innkeeper with my guests in my house. Yes you have some hospitality experience, but to me, it is just not the same thing..
Sorry Catlady, I failed to mention that my husband has run an Inn before, it's just been awhile and needs a refresher course or new start. By the way, do you even have an Inn?

I am also a small inn and when we travel - we close. I feel the personal relationship between innkeeper and guest is too precious to leave to someone else because no matter what their credentials, they are NOT us. I know bigger inns can't afford to close like we do, and I believe they will be your target audience. However - there are a lot of retired innkeepers out there doing what you are thinking of doing, and they have experience. It would seem they would make it difficult to break into this market with no experience running an inn, and I would not find it useful to me that you had taken a class or attended a seminar on innsitting or interim innkeeping, as every inn is very, very different. As different as all the innkeepers using this forum, or more so..
chihauhaua person,
I do hope to hear ONLY from larger Inns. It seems like you all had to start somewhere unless you grew up in a B & B right? Just looking for advice. By the way, my husband has run an Inn. It's just been a while and we are looking at our options and doing research. Where does one start? That's all I'm looking for at this point...not really for the small Innkeeper (or retired ones) responses. Thanks for you insight.

smileystooges.gif

On a more personal note, if you have never run a B & B, then I would be leary about hiring you as an innsitter. I would not be paying you to train to be an innkeeper with my guests in my house. Yes you have some hospitality experience, but to me, it is just not the same thing..
Sorry Catlady, I failed to mention that my husband has run an Inn before, it's just been awhile and needs a refresher course or new start. By the way, do you even have an Inn?
Yes, we had an inn for 6 years. IF he has run an inn, then that is a good thing. Yes, will need to refresh on guest management software used by various inns. As someone else mentioned, it will be the larger operations that may be in more need of innsitter than the smaller ones.

It looks like I am getting responses from Innkeepers or FORMER Innkeepers that have very small Inns. That is not helpful at all. Please forgive me if I sound rude, I don't mean to be...I'm a very sweet person. I thought of posting to get some real good insider thoughts from people who actually could help. If you can't help me, then don't reply/post...please. I have failed to mention that my husband did run a B & B for a year. It's just been a while. He loved doing it and that's why we are doing more research. I am reposting with this information as an prelude. Once again, I don't mean to be offensive, just looking for someone who has experience with this kind of service. After all, we weren't all born in the the B & B world! You guys had to start somewhere, know some people and hopefully have some ideas. That's all I'm asking. Thank you, again, in advance.
This is a great site! I have been looking for some one on one suggestions from some real Innkeepers and have been unlucky until now. Hopefully some of you guys can point me in the right directions. My husband has been in the hotel business for over 25 years. He has previously run a B & B, but it's been a while and he's looking to find ways to get back into that arena.I have years of customer service, admin skills. Since our son is grown and out of the house, we really want to work/travel. He suggested looking for companies that hire "interim innkeepers". I didn't realize how much information there is (and isn't) on this service to Innkeepers. I did see a lot of ads for people who provide this service and have built up a reputation. I 've seen NUMEROUS ads on people who do training courses...and of course, visited the PAII site. Now, I'm more confused than ever. I found this website run by YOU GUYS (Innkeepers) and thought this would be the best place to hopefully get some questions answered. My first question is obvious. Is there a big demand for this service for you guys? If so, how do you go about finding the right people to run your place so you can get away? What kind of qualifications, credentials, certifications (?) do you require? I think we would eventually love to own our own, but would like some years of experience behind us before that time comes. I have seen some ads from owners who want to sell and would train, but we are not in that kind of position yet. I would appreciate any an all suggestions and comments from you guys. Thank you in advance for your help!
Lisa and Steve Spiegel

I am also a small inn and when we travel - we close. I feel the personal relationship between innkeeper and guest is too precious to leave to someone else because no matter what their credentials, they are NOT us. I know bigger inns can't afford to close like we do, and I believe they will be your target audience. However - there are a lot of retired innkeepers out there doing what you are thinking of doing, and they have experience. It would seem they would make it difficult to break into this market with no experience running an inn, and I would not find it useful to me that you had taken a class or attended a seminar on innsitting or interim innkeeping, as every inn is very, very different. As different as all the innkeepers using this forum, or more so..
chihauhaua person,
I do hope to hear ONLY from larger Inns. It seems like you all had to start somewhere unless you grew up in a B & B right? Just looking for advice. By the way, my husband has run an Inn. It's just been a while and we are looking at our options and doing research. Where does one start? That's all I'm looking for at this point...not really for the small Innkeeper (or retired ones) responses. Thanks for you insight.
SOrry but you asked for responses and you are getting them. You didn't preface it that you only wanted to hear from large inns or whatever.
We are only trying to be helpful by each of us sharing our own personal opinions and ideas. What's wrong with an active retired innkeeper sharing her expertise...gheez! Happy New Year to you too.

chihauhaua person,
SOrry but you asked for responses and you are getting them. You didn't preface it that you only wanted to hear from large inns or whatever.
We are only trying to be helpful by each of us sharing our own personal opinions and ideas. What's wrong with an active retired innkeeper sharing her expertise...gheez! Happy New Year to you too.
Sorry catlady, I am asking for responses for people who have owned and STILL operate Inns for a longer length of time than 6 or 7 years..you know...real veterans of the business. A former Innkeeper for a small Inn personally doesn't have the expertise to discourage me! The way your first post sounds you make it sound like you are still in the business. I think that you are not very honest and that gives you no credibility in my honest opinion. I asked for responses for help.....not post that would discourage me or anyone else from trying to get more information. I've read some of your post to other people and you just don't sound like someone who likes to help people. There's no need for yelling
sad_smile.gif
. I will TAKE information from people who have run Inns for a LONG time and still are running Inns. That's what wrong with you posting!!!! I don't find you credible at all and I will LEAVE your dishonest advise alone.
But thanks anyway for the New Year wishes...sending best wishes to you too.
wink_smile.gif

It looks like I am getting responses from Innkeepers or FORMER Innkeepers that have very small Inns. That is not helpful at all. Please forgive me if I sound rude, I don't mean to be...I'm a very sweet person. I thought of posting to get some real good insider thoughts from people who actually could help. If you can't help me, then don't reply/post...please. I have failed to mention that my husband did run a B & B for a year. It's just been a while. He loved doing it and that's why we are doing more research. I am reposting with this information as an prelude. Once again, I don't mean to be offensive, just looking for someone who has experience with this kind of service. After all, we weren't all born in the the B & B world! You guys had to start somewhere, know some people and hopefully have some ideas. That's all I'm asking. Thank you, again, in advance.
This is a great site! I have been looking for some one on one suggestions from some real Innkeepers and have been unlucky until now. Hopefully some of you guys can point me in the right directions. My husband has been in the hotel business for over 25 years. He has previously run a B & B, but it's been a while and he's looking to find ways to get back into that arena.I have years of customer service, admin skills. Since our son is grown and out of the house, we really want to work/travel. He suggested looking for companies that hire "interim innkeepers". I didn't realize how much information there is (and isn't) on this service to Innkeepers. I did see a lot of ads for people who provide this service and have built up a reputation. I 've seen NUMEROUS ads on people who do training courses...and of course, visited the PAII site. Now, I'm more confused than ever. I found this website run by YOU GUYS (Innkeepers) and thought this would be the best place to hopefully get some questions answered. My first question is obvious. Is there a big demand for this service for you guys? If so, how do you go about finding the right people to run your place so you can get away? What kind of qualifications, credentials, certifications (?) do you require? I think we would eventually love to own our own, but would like some years of experience behind us before that time comes. I have seen some ads from owners who want to sell and would train, but we are not in that kind of position yet. I would appreciate any an all suggestions and comments from you guys. Thank you in advance for your help!
Lisa and Steve Spiegel.
Lisa and Steve,
I'd suggest you start with taking a class and getting certified as interim innkeepers since it's been awhile since Steve ran a B&B. Certification is not generally necessary for experienced innkeepers but most inn owners will want that experience to be recent (and that you be fairly well up-to-date on today's reservation systems et al).
As for whether you can make a living or not, that all depends on both you and your area. You'll need to be proactive to get clients in the beginning. You can expect some resistence until you have references from folks that are known to the inn owners you'd be working for; certification can help a little bit with that but just a little. Check PAII for upcoming classes in your area.
Some innkeepers schedule regular breaks and rely on innsitters to allow them to do that. Others, especially very small inns, will just shutter up when they need a break.
Once you get certified, if you're proactive in getting some initial clients and are in an area that has enough inns to support you, you may be able to make a decent living. My feeling is, though, that the money a couple makes is nice retirement income but not generally a living in and of itself. If you have superior skills in an area that innkeepers also need help in and can add some consulting work to the innsitting, though, you'll do well once you're established.
If you expect, though, that you'll get clients right away and that the income from that will support the 2 of you right away, I think you'll probably be disappointed.
Inn owners want only the very best innsitters to take over when they take breaks. Until they really believe that you are the innkeepers who are perfect for their inn, they'll generally give up the break before they'll turn their inn over to an unknown.
Best of luck to you both!

"I would appreciate any an all suggestions and comments from you guys."
So you say.....I have nearly 25 years in the hospitality business...18 of it in larger hotels and the rest running my own small Inn. I have also taught hospitality management courses at the local community college. I pride myself in having a hospitable heart, and recognize it in others when I see or hear it. While your husband may have the background and experience in dealing with difficult or different people, I don't see it or hear it in your responses.
I don't think this business is for you, and while your husband might enjoy it, you would not. Seek another career path and be happier.

What are you considering to be a 'larger' inn? I think there may only be one or two innkeepers on here who have over 10 rooms. We're more 'B&B's' on here than 'inns.' With the definition for 'inn' to be more than 10 rooms, serving multiple meals and having staff to do the work.

This forum is not restricted to innkeepers only - we have retired innkeepers, current innkeepers with anywhere from a single room to dozens, aspiring innkeepers, innkeepers who are between inns, innsitters and guests. You think this is a great site - it is because of the diversity of experiences of those who take the time to answer questions that may have been asked dozens of other times before that it is good. I learn from many posters on this board who have very different perspectives and backgrounds than I do - too bad that doesn't appeal to you. Coming out with your guns blazing at someone who has every right to be here as you do, and calling them dishonest, isn't really a great way to encourage others to interact with you.
If you are only interested in hearing from posters with a specific set of experiences, you would do better to spell that out ahead of time. For example, what do you mean by large inns? More than 6 rooms, more than 20 rooms, more than 40 rooms? Then - those of us who don't met your very specific criteria won't waste our time giving advice to someone who does not want to hear it. If you're lucky, someone who does meet your requirements will reply.

I am not an innkeeper at a large inn, but I am a "real innkeeper" and that's what you asked for. I hope this info is useful to you.
While coming into this profession with NO experience whatsoever, I did watch friends and family run their inns up close and personal for a few years before jumping into it ourselves. We try to run the kind of inn WE like to stay at in order to attract people like us. So far it has worked well, with the usual bumps and learning curves you would expect with any new profession.
My friends and family that have had inns, (all bigger than mine), have also used innsitters and interim innkeepers. Their biggest beef with sitters is the inability to completey grasp the reservation systems. They each say that they wind up with bookings they don't know about and double bookings. We also had some experienced retired innkeepers that joined our organization, were hired by some inns, and while they worked well at one or two, they were disasterous to others, drinking heavily, stealing food and offending guests. OUCH! They came with recommendations.
If this is what you really want to do, go for it and learn as much as you can, where ever you can, but be sure to get the oppinions from innkeepers to see if they would even use your services. Their may not be enough inns out there to work with.

I am not an innkeeper at a large inn, but I am a "real innkeeper" and that's what you asked for. I hope this info is useful to you.
While coming into this profession with NO experience whatsoever, I did watch friends and family run their inns up close and personal for a few years before jumping into it ourselves. We try to run the kind of inn WE like to stay at in order to attract people like us. So far it has worked well, with the usual bumps and learning curves you would expect with any new profession.
My friends and family that have had inns, (all bigger than mine), have also used innsitters and interim innkeepers. Their biggest beef with sitters is the inability to completey grasp the reservation systems. They each say that they wind up with bookings they don't know about and double bookings. We also had some experienced retired innkeepers that joined our organization, were hired by some inns, and while they worked well at one or two, they were disasterous to others, drinking heavily, stealing food and offending guests. OUCH! They came with recommendations.
If this is what you really want to do, go for it and learn as much as you can, where ever you can, but be sure to get the oppinions from innkeepers to see if they would even use your services. Their may not be enough inns out there to work with..
Thank you for you very nice, well thought out response. It gives me something to think about. I can definately see your point as far as interim innkeepers go. That makes a lot of sense to me and I can see why it would be a little "hair-raising" to let just anyone run your "baby". I don't blame any of you for that! I would be the same way and am in a way with the customers that I presently serve in my current profession. I don't like other people that don't know what they are doing serving customers that deserve the best. Thank you again....you are an asset to this forum.

What are you considering to be a 'larger' inn? I think there may only be one or two innkeepers on here who have over 10 rooms. We're more 'B&B's' on here than 'inns.' With the definition for 'inn' to be more than 10 rooms, serving multiple meals and having staff to do the work..
Yes m'am. I think that's what I was looking for in my responses. I wasn't sure what kind of Innkeepers there were on this forum. I knew there would be all different types but since the name of the organization is "INNspiring.com" I assumed it would be more INNs than B&B's. Unfortunately, I've gone and upset some people who didn't really understand what I was looking for...so thanks for asking for clarification. LOVE the picture by the way!

If this is what you really want to do, go for it and learn as much as you can, where ever you can, but be sure to get the oppinions from innkeepers to see if they would even use your services. Their may not be enough inns out there to work with..
aieechihuahua said:
They each say that they wind up with bookings they don't know about and double bookings. We also had some experienced retired innkeepers that joined our organization, were hired by some inns, and while they worked well at one or two, they were disasterous to others, drinking heavily, stealing food and offending guests. OUCH!
OUCH is right!!! That's just about the worst nightmare one could imagine with an innsitter!
The thing about references is they're all relative. New innsitters who've been to a class usually come with references: 1 from the teacher of the class and 1 from an inn they interned at. And by interning, they usually mean working a few hours over 1 or 2 days. Not really enough to know about problems like the ones you're describing which just sound absolutely dreadful in every way.
So when hiring certified innsitters, I think it's always a good idea to know whether those references were from real innsitting work, ie. they were left in-charge of an actual inn for more than 1 day, or from a few hours of interning related to a certification class. In my book, there's a very, very big difference but it's not always easy to see that difference clearly from the references given.

What are you considering to be a 'larger' inn? I think there may only be one or two innkeepers on here who have over 10 rooms. We're more 'B&B's' on here than 'inns.' With the definition for 'inn' to be more than 10 rooms, serving multiple meals and having staff to do the work..
Yes m'am. I think that's what I was looking for in my responses. I wasn't sure what kind of Innkeepers there were on this forum. I knew there would be all different types but since the name of the organization is "INNspiring.com" I assumed it would be more INNs than B&B's. Unfortunately, I've gone and upset some people who didn't really understand what I was looking for...so thanks for asking for clarification. LOVE the picture by the way!
I think the reason people are upset is that you're telling folks who are taking the time to respond that you don't really want to hear from them.
Some folks will gather from that, as you've noticed, that you're not of the temperament to be an innkeeper who needs to be open and gracious to all guests, not just to those they personally prefer.
This forum is not only open to all, its members are rather outspoken and are also very generous with both their time and responses. All most want back in return is an appreciation of that fact.
So, again, best of luck to both of you.
But when you come to this forum in the future, my advice would be to not reject out-of-hand the information innkeepers provide to you, no matter what their status (current/former/retired/whatever). They are all innkeepers to us - and we love them all equally.

This forum is not restricted to innkeepers only - we have retired innkeepers, current innkeepers with anywhere from a single room to dozens, aspiring innkeepers, innkeepers who are between inns, innsitters and guests. You think this is a great site - it is because of the diversity of experiences of those who take the time to answer questions that may have been asked dozens of other times before that it is good. I learn from many posters on this board who have very different perspectives and backgrounds than I do - too bad that doesn't appeal to you. Coming out with your guns blazing at someone who has every right to be here as you do, and calling them dishonest, isn't really a great way to encourage others to interact with you.
If you are only interested in hearing from posters with a specific set of experiences, you would do better to spell that out ahead of time. For example, what do you mean by large inns? More than 6 rooms, more than 20 rooms, more than 40 rooms? Then - those of us who don't met your very specific criteria won't waste our time giving advice to someone who does not want to hear it. If you're lucky, someone who does meet your requirements will reply..
[FONT= &quot]You are absolutely right. I should have been more specific in my request. My only request being…”If you do need a vacation, what do you look for in an interim Innkeeper, where do you look for them and what are your requirements? To quote exactly…“[/FONT]Is there a big demand for this service for you guys? If so, how do you go about finding the right people to run your place so you can get away? What kind of qualifications, credentials, and certifications (?) do you require? "[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]I never asked for career advice….just a “heads up” on where to go for research. You are also absolutely right..Coming out with my "guns blazing" isn't a good way to win friends and influence people. I apologized “Please forgive me if I sound rude, Once again, I don't mean to be offensive, just looking for someone who has experience with this kind of service” [FONT= &quot]on my later post for sounding rude and offensive. Of course everyone has a right to their opinion and I appreciate them taking the time to reply. My original post was from the heart and I was very excited to have found this forum. I just didn't expect to get gunned down right away by someone who isn't even running an Inn by telling me they would never let me learn from them.
catlady said:
[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]We have a regular "innsitter" here so hopefully she will chime in soon. From my perspective, we only have a small place, so we just closed down when we took vacations. No money for innsitters. I have 3 good friends who do innsit. One barely makes a living at it and the other 2 just dabble as they don't have much business. Lots of variables. [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]On a more personal note, if you have never run a B & B, then I would be leary about hiring you as an innsitter. I would not be paying you to train to be an innkeeper with my guests in my house. Yes you have some hospitality experience, but to me, it is just not the same thing.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]The "retired" poster, as in other emails, acts as if she is still in the business (but she's NOT therefore that is dishonest to me. What else would that be?) and she gives off negative vibes to myself and people like me. Believe me, I've read her post - and you're right, negative people don't appeal to me. In addition to her post, I NEVER asked in my original request that I be paid to train. I don’t know where that came from! She also discreetly deleted part of her post where she told me to “TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!” [/FONT]What a doll!
[FONT= &quot]In all honesty, I should have emailed her instead of posting on this forum. As for "blue inn" person (who also took exception to my post).
Little Blue said:
[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]"I would appreciate any an all suggestions and comments from you guys."[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]So you say.....I have nearly 25 years in the hospitality business...18 of it in larger hotels and the rest running my own small Inn. I have also taught hospitality management courses at the local community college. I pride myself in having a hospitable heart, and recognize it in others when I see or hear it. While your husband may have the background and experience in dealing with difficult or different people, I don't see it or hear it in your responses.
I don't think this business is for you, and while your husband might enjoy it, you would not. Seek another career path and be happier.
[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]I appreciate and admire the fact that you have much knowledge in the hospitality business, but you really didn't read my post very closely either. I never said my husband ran larger hotels..just hotels...and I never said we owned a B & B..just that he ran one. I'm sorry you got the wrong impression of me and I deserve it AND take responsibility! However, you don't know me and what a good person I am and what awesome customer service that I have given to many people (maybe even you!) over the years in my current position. Obviously, you could SEE my frustration in my replies, but you’ve never talked to me in person or on the phone so how can you judge me as not being hospitable? That’s unfair but I probably deserved it on some level. But with that said, I still have a hard time accepting advice that clearly didn't even answer my question to begin with from people who clearly had no desire to be helpful to me...only to discourage me from people who didn’t take the time to read my request carefully before replying in a thoughtful and helpful manner. Once again...to all posters who took exception and may continue to take exception, I apologize for being rude. [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]As far as the others[/FONT] go that gave me really great advice, from the heart, offered to let me volunteer, pointed me in the right directions according to my request and my minimal knowledge in this area WITHOUT taking exception or judging me from just a few post...
[FONT= &quot]KUDOS TO YOU!!!!! You are the people that I will look up to and admire and probably visit your inn (will actually pay too!) and send my friends and family your way. Best of luck to all of you![/FONT]

Back