International Exchange Center

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get that email a couple of days ago from the guy in Vegas? I thought that one sounded sketchy.
I know a couple of places that do have the students on visas. They do not provide accommodations for them, which is how I know about them becasue they come here and ask if they can rent a room for 3 months and put 6 of them in it. From what I've heard, most of the students want to learn English and they are good workers.
However, I thought those were H2B visas.

That probably explains the housekeeping at the Marriott in Charleston....

That probably explains the housekeeping at the Marriott in Charleston.....
gillumhouse said:
We get mostly Eastern Europeans or Russians around here. Their English isn't great but it's definitely understandable. Far beyond 1st or 2nd year students.

gillumhouse said:
We get mostly Eastern Europeans or Russians around here. Their English isn't great but it's definitely understandable. Far beyond 1st or 2nd year students.
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Try Pigeon Forge/Galtinburg Tennessee - aka "Hillybilly Vegas" they mostly have Eastern European hospitality workers there.
I am soooooo into wanting to keep $$ in our country, I won't employ anyone who sends it overseas or below the border. For me it is a principal thing. I realize that many younger Americans have been lazy hand fed brats and won't work hard, so I can totally see why it is easier to hire and NOT pay the payroll taxes (I am guessing that is the case like any outsourcing) on the foreign employees.

gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Try Pigeon Forge/Galtinburg Tennessee - aka "Hillybilly Vegas" they mostly have Eastern European hospitality workers there.
I am soooooo into wanting to keep $$ in our country, I won't employ anyone who sends it overseas or below the border. For me it is a principal thing. I realize that many younger Americans have been lazy hand fed brats and won't work hard, so I can totally see why it is easier to hire and NOT pay the payroll taxes (I am guessing that is the case like any outsourcing) on the foreign employees.
Actually THAT was one of the selling points in the email...no payroll taxes, no health ins, no worker's comp, none of the additional 'fees' you get hit with to hire an American. You remember what it was like here last year...ONE reply to our ad. And she quit after a week. Not a kid, either. But, last year there were not a lot of visa workers around here. Lots of places couldn't get visa workers.

As much as I possibly can, I buy American and specifically West Virginia. I also mean it when I say, if I have to hire someone, I will close because I do not want the hassle ofall the rules, regulations, and paperwork hiring someone would entail.
I can climb on that horse and dump a Directory that I feel is excessive because I am small and can do it myself (not the directory but if anyone gets hurt by that it is just me). You folks with larger operations have to look at the facts of life and survival and I do not fault you in the least for looking toward visa workers - the big hotels and resorts do it to cut their costs so they can undercut the B & B industry. I got e-mails all winter from overseas asking about summer work - DELETE. I think Snowshoe gets their workers from Brazil or Honduras.

Back