Internet Providers! Ready to Spit Nails!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I am ready to spit nails! Every weekend for the last month I have lost Internet (DSL) with Frontier. This weekend it actually stayed up - until today! It has been hit & miss all afternoon. Grrrrrrr! Cable is even less reliable. Cannot change - just venting. At least I have learned to just wait it out. I will not call the kid from the new computer store over unless it is down for a couple days again. He did get me rewired the last time he was here - eliminated a few wires and lines and connectors etc from past equipment and systems. Frustrating to be doing something and have the Internet disappear as you try to do an update!

There is no guarantee of 24/7/365 on Internet service. You are at their mercy. Things do happen and we just have to live with it. Yesterday it was off and on here all day and I attributed it to Cyber Monday. There's only so much bandwidth out there and we all can't be on it all at the same time.

I am ready to deal with once in a while - but every weekend? Just before Veterans Day it was off for 3 days, the next weekend for a day and a half....... It is not as if they were giving me credit for time down or even acknowledging they were down. The amount I pay every month should get me something! It is the EVERY weekend that has gotten to me.

Are you sure that you have completely ruled out all possible problems with the equipment at your end? (Just asking)

Are you sure that you have completely ruled out all possible problems with the equipment at your end? (Just asking).
Harborfields said:
Are you sure that you have completely ruled out all possible problems with the equipment at your end? (Just asking)
Yes, the first time it went down on Friday afternoon and Saturday I called the PC guy to come over to check that it was not my equipment. After he went over my system, we called Frontier - Cust Serv said no problems so he asked to be connected to Tech Support and they admitted it was down. On Monday they even had a message to that effect. The next week it was brief - just a few hours on Friday evening. The next week the Internet light was out on the modem and I called Tech Support. He wanted me to bypass the router. Frustrated I told him the Internet light was out - forget it! Called the kid over again. He did the bypass just so he could say he had done it. He said the Internet light was out so it was down. He finally got a tech who knew something. funny thing was that although the tech said there was no problem, when the tech went to access my router from his end, the Internet miraculously came back on. Then the kid went all through my wires - got rid of some unnecessary, replaced one that he said was functioning but it was thinner than he liked so we used another phone cable I had here (had lots of extras when he was done). I call him a kid because he looks to be the same age as my oldest grandson. In all the mess from previous, I had him put in a new router.

i'm sorry.
have you considered satellite internet phone and tv ... maybe down the road?
up in the wilds of maine totally off the grid ... and someone out there has a modest sized dish and gets great reception

i'm sorry.
have you considered satellite internet phone and tv ... maybe down the road?
up in the wilds of maine totally off the grid ... and someone out there has a modest sized dish and gets great reception.
Here that is even less reliable. I am just twerked right now. Once they get their act together I will settle down also. It is just so crappy and "coincidental" that it happens evey weekend. At least this week I got through the weekend - it waited until Tuesday!

I have an Android phone with tethering capabilities on the USB as a backup to my ISP. I can't afford to be down for too long.

Is it your business internet access or your web site hosting? Two different scenarios. If it's your internet access, we on the board can help with more info; in a metro area? Remote? There are so many choices for internet access these days. I use Comcast for internet, and was experiencing down times and come to find out I was using an slightly outdated modem. Did research on that modem and learned that that model modem had a history of dropped connections after a certain service life. Updated my modem (bought my own) and all has been good. It can be anything...
If web site hosting, what is happening and how often? I have experience with this and might be able to help.

I have an Android phone with tethering capabilities on the USB as a backup to my ISP. I can't afford to be down for too long..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have an Android phone with tethering capabilities on the USB as a backup to my ISP. I can't afford to be down for too long.
This is the exact same thing I have, and even with only 3G networks it's pretty quick. 4G is real fast. Bandwidth is expensive, but when your internet is down, it's a great failsafe.

I have an Android phone with tethering capabilities on the USB as a backup to my ISP. I can't afford to be down for too long..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That is all I have and it works at both houses!

Is it your business internet access or your web site hosting? Two different scenarios. If it's your internet access, we on the board can help with more info; in a metro area? Remote? There are so many choices for internet access these days. I use Comcast for internet, and was experiencing down times and come to find out I was using an slightly outdated modem. Did research on that modem and learned that that model modem had a history of dropped connections after a certain service life. Updated my modem (bought my own) and all has been good. It can be anything...
If web site hosting, what is happening and how often? I have experience with this and might be able to help..
It was the Internet provider. I am not the only one in the area that has been having the problem. We have a love/hate relationship with out phone service provider. Have to love since it is pretty much a them or the cable or dish and neither of them are anything to brag about either. It seems to have settled down again for a while. One of those things like a stone in your shoe - once it gets shaken out, all is well.

If web site hosting, what is happening and how often? I have experience with this and might be able to help..
It was the Internet provider. I am not the only one in the area that has been having the problem. We have a love/hate relationship with out phone service provider. Have to love since it is pretty much a them or the cable or dish and neither of them are anything to brag about either. It seems to have settled down again for a while. One of those things like a stone in your shoe - once it gets shaken out, all is well.
They could have been doing some upgrades and things did not go as well as expected etc. Things happen.

you can always get Hughes-which is satelite internet-thats what we had to get when we were in WV or even now its pretty reliable unless of course the weather may tamper it...but overall its worth it...

you can always get Hughes-which is satelite internet-thats what we had to get when we were in WV or even now its pretty reliable unless of course the weather may tamper it...but overall its worth it...
HUH...all my friends on it say it is awful. So slow. Maybe they don't pay for the higher end bandwidth but I hear nothing but complaints from them.

Back