Interview about Trip adviser! by ME!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I am going to be interviewd by BBC radio York on friday if anyone has any points they would like mentioning let me know!

Let us know if it's posted online so we can listen.
Try to be nice ;-)
Good luck!

Here's a growing source for reporters to access experts in a variety of fields. Are you a well-spoken expert in the B and B industry? Of course you are! Consider registering as a news source on Vocus.
Not sp am.

You know everyone's gripe. Write it all down. The BBC has a list of questions designed to lead you where they want you to go. Stay focused!

Here's a growing source for reporters to access experts in a variety of fields. Are you a well-spoken expert in the B and B industry? Of course you are! Consider registering as a news source on Vocus.
Not sp am..
Vocus has some really good online 'classes' that I've taken.

Well done Cambs.
If it were me I would be a voice of clarity on the whole blackmail issue. Letting them know that innkeepers and hoteliers are business as usual, every once in a while a psycho stays at an inn. Verifying REVIEWS should be required (at least) with negative reviews. !! that is something I would voice. Also people reviewing who have never even stayed there, should also be outlawed.
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]Irish hotel group denies employees told to post positive reviews | Tnooz [/COLOR]http://bit.ly/z4NDV2

Wonderful!! We are proud of you and know you will do well. The blackmailing, unverified reviews, and the way they just plain hide B &Bs from the public looking for a place to stay are the issues everywhere. Why is it Hotels and Motels and not Hotels, Motels, and B & Bs? They certainly know how to ask us to pay them for a listing.

You know everyone's gripe. Write it all down. The BBC has a list of questions designed to lead you where they want you to go. Stay focused!.
the BBC don't really like trip adviser! so im not too worried the point I want to make loud and clear is yes this can be a tool to weed out the bad properties however it has many flaws. We as accommodation providers are not afraid of truthful reviews but we want the system policed so that people with an axe to grind cannot use it as a tool ie disgruntled employees and so on. Our main complaint is that you do not have to have ever stayed at the property and do not have to prove in anyway that you have. If it was any other medium it would be slander and you would be sued.

You know everyone's gripe. Write it all down. The BBC has a list of questions designed to lead you where they want you to go. Stay focused!.
the BBC don't really like trip adviser! so im not too worried the point I want to make loud and clear is yes this can be a tool to weed out the bad properties however it has many flaws. We as accommodation providers are not afraid of truthful reviews but we want the system policed so that people with an axe to grind cannot use it as a tool ie disgruntled employees and so on. Our main complaint is that you do not have to have ever stayed at the property and do not have to prove in anyway that you have. If it was any other medium it would be slander and you would be sued.
We as accommodation providers are not afraid of truthful reviews but we want the system policed so that people with an axe to grind cannot use it as a tool...
There you go. That's the point. I would say that our bad reviews were about having an axe to grind. It wasn't that there wasn't hot water or the rooms were dirty or we lied about something, the guests just didn't like US so they slammed us online. It was personal, no doubt about it.

Accuracy on our city page is a real problem and Trap A has zero interest in fixing it. There are B&B's listed as being 20 miles from us that are actually 40. There are properties that are listed in two categories (B&B and VR) and, because they want the revenue, they encourage the property to suggest it is two different places. NOT
Otherwise, you already know about the growing number of review mills that are pumping thousands of reviews onto retail sites and review sites at what?: $10 bucks a pop?
We have already stayed at a few properties where it was obvious they had paid or discounted to get good reviews. One highly rated place was so bad we had to leave after the first night. We use the Trap as follow up, but find we do much better if we use other tools first and then do a double check on the T RIP vi sor.
Sorry got off topic
Reminder- We use the site to it's fullest and it has been a beneficial marketing tool

Good Luck! The fake reviews really detract from the usefulness of TA. I am sure they know this but have no way to actually control it. Wouldn't hurt to mention those "review mill" sites to highlight the issue. And of course, the blackmail-the-innkeeper issue that others have mentioned, as well as the unverified guest issue.
Let us know if we can listen in using our computers here in the USA. I would love to hear what goes on!

And the blackmail the uninitiated cringe from - give us what we want or we will write a bad review as well as the give me over-the-top goodies and I will write a good review and if you do not it will be a bad review.

We as accommodation providers are not afraid of truthful reviews but we want the system policed so that people with an axe to grind cannot use it as a tool...
There you go. That's the point. I would say that our bad reviews were about having an axe to grind. It wasn't that there wasn't hot water or the rooms were dirty or we lied about something, the guests just didn't like US so they slammed us online. It was personal, no doubt about it.
Well... I had one make up non-existant ants... that we don't even have in this country. And another who wrote their review with an agenda of discrimination that is both illegal in here and the UK, where she resides.

Madeleine said:
And that should never be allowed. TA allows posters to use names and say untruthful, ugly (sometimes) things yet in the Mgr Reply there can be no pointing fingers or should I say 'setting the facts straight'.

How'd it go. I got a call from the ceeb asking me to do an interview next week.

How'd it go. I got a call from the ceeb asking me to do an interview next week..
Ceeb? is this the BBC?
The BBC is the Beeb.... The Ceeb is here.
Quite well I think! managed to get a small plug in for our national trade association Bedposts which is really trying to get our issues listened to!! Pushed the point that they are very unhelpful about namign names if you are trying to get at the real identity of people ie to sue them and that the simple way for trip adviser to make it more likely people are telling the truth is to make them say who they are. That there is no policing. Also said that I get emails sometimes twice a week from companies offering to write good reviews and post them in return for payment. So have to listen and see how it sounds on Sunday.

How'd it go. I got a call from the ceeb asking me to do an interview next week..
Ceeb? is this the BBC?
The BBC is the Beeb.... The Ceeb is here.
Quite well I think! managed to get a small plug in for our national trade association Bedposts which is really trying to get our issues listened to!! Pushed the point that they are very unhelpful about namign names if you are trying to get at the real identity of people ie to sue them and that the simple way for trip adviser to make it more likely people are telling the truth is to make them say who they are. That there is no policing. Also said that I get emails sometimes twice a week from companies offering to write good reviews and post them in return for payment. So have to listen and see how it sounds on Sunday.
It's on tape? They want me to do mine live... gulp.
I've never had someone solicit for positive reviews. I've seen posts about it. But never received one, myself.

Back