Intro letters

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My DH is like that he is always like just charge etc but he won't tell them or ring them no way so we have a rule if you have to do it you make the call (ie the call to charge or not) same with prices and discounts etc if you take the booking you make the decision and no second guessing..
LOL When confronted face to face, my DH folds like a cheap suit!
men the stronger sex my eye!

I figure if I added up all the time i spent second guessing i could have redecorated the whole place so Ive stopped.
Life is too short and it doesn't achieve anything can't go back and change anything and if you had known something in advance you still probably would have done the same thing anyway.

The only problem I can see with this is people book then cancel. Just like graduations weekends, had another local call and try to book all the rooms, and I was firm, as it NEVER eventuates to a whole house booking, it always falls through, they are desperate and want to HOLD rooms, is all they want to do. I won't be bitten by that again, ever!
So...btw here is something. A guest booked three rooms individ to get the $10 off discount on each room instead of once, I am thrilled with the new system as they can book all the rooms at once, in one fell swoop. This was an advantage, but the cheap sobs still try to get the discount on each room. They try to outsmart to get the discount. Of course it is the same address, name and credit card details. One instance I changed it and said this is a booking for the same person, same details, only one discount.
Well guess what? They cancelled. According to my "stick to your policies" mood I was in, I charged each reservation # the $10 cancellation fee. I COULD have charged them three x one night deposits, since it is next weekend, but DH said to NOT DO IT, just charge them the fee. He knew it would not end up good doing that. Which is course infuriates me, and i wonder why I have policies at all (saying this to myself).
I am fed up with these people dropping off like this all the time. Wish I were full so I could have the guts to be bolder, but I always bend...always..
Why don't you just allow the $10 off on each room? I don't get the thinking behind that. If it WAS 3 spearate guests booking, they'd all get the discount, so why is it that it's just one discount per credit card? 'Splain that one to me Ricky.
I agree...I allowed the $10 off for each room that was booked online. I figured that it was no different than 3 different folks booking the rooms. Still saved me time chatting them up.

The only problem I can see with this is people book then cancel. Just like graduations weekends, had another local call and try to book all the rooms, and I was firm, as it NEVER eventuates to a whole house booking, it always falls through, they are desperate and want to HOLD rooms, is all they want to do. I won't be bitten by that again, ever!
So...btw here is something. A guest booked three rooms individ to get the $10 off discount on each room instead of once, I am thrilled with the new system as they can book all the rooms at once, in one fell swoop. This was an advantage, but the cheap sobs still try to get the discount on each room. They try to outsmart to get the discount. Of course it is the same address, name and credit card details. One instance I changed it and said this is a booking for the same person, same details, only one discount.
Well guess what? They cancelled. According to my "stick to your policies" mood I was in, I charged each reservation # the $10 cancellation fee. I COULD have charged them three x one night deposits, since it is next weekend, but DH said to NOT DO IT, just charge them the fee. He knew it would not end up good doing that. Which is course infuriates me, and i wonder why I have policies at all (saying this to myself).
I am fed up with these people dropping off like this all the time. Wish I were full so I could have the guts to be bolder, but I always bend...always..
Why don't you just allow the $10 off on each room? I don't get the thinking behind that. If it WAS 3 spearate guests booking, they'd all get the discount, so why is it that it's just one discount per credit card? 'Splain that one to me Ricky.
Alibi Ike said:
Because they tried to skirt the system, it is book online and save $10, not per night, not per room, it is per reservation.

I agree...I allowed the $10 off for each room that was booked online. I figured that it was no different than 3 different folks booking the rooms. Still saved me time chatting them up.
Samster said:
It was also a way to NOT fall under my book 3 rooms or more and have a different cancellation policy. THey were playing the system.

Alibi Ike said:
Because they tried to skirt the system, it is book online and save $10, not per night, not per room, it is per reservation.
hmmm....I'm still confused as well, because I would consider each room as a different reservation, but my promotion was also $10 off per night per room for booking online, not one single $10 discount. Everybody does their own discounts differently.
If I had a fee for cancelling, it would be for each room reservation as well, but not per number of nights booked.
One person booking multiple rooms would fall under the cancellation policy for multiple rooms booked which in our case was 7 days vs. 72 hours cancellation.

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
And it specifically states that it is ONE $10 off no matter how many rooms they book?
As an outsider, my take would be that if I'm booking 3 rooms, it is for each room because I'm not staying in all 3 of the rooms. Simply because each room could just do the reservation themselves and you end up with the exact same number of guests in the same rooms, only you have 3 different credit cards to run instead of the 1.

Samster said:
It was also a way to NOT fall under my book 3 rooms or more and have a different cancellation policy. THey were playing the system.
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
I'm more confused. If it was the same cc number each time they booked, then it was multiple rooms and the other cancellation policy kicks in. Here's what I'm thinking...yes, I would game the system, too if I thought I could get the extra $20 off by doing all the typing myself. If you set up that they can get the discount for multiple rooms booked, then you get all the info and you put your multi-room cancellation policy in place.
If you force them to all book separately to get the discount, you won't know until they arrive that they are a 'party'. You could certainly hazard a guess if all the bookings come in one after the other.

Samster said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
I'm more confused. If it was the same cc number each time they booked, then it was multiple rooms and the other cancellation policy kicks in. Here's what I'm thinking...yes, I would game the system, too if I thought I could get the extra $20 off by doing all the typing myself. If you set up that they can get the discount for multiple rooms booked, then you get all the info and you put your multi-room cancellation policy in place.
If you force them to all book separately to get the discount, you won't know until they arrive that they are a 'party'. You could certainly hazard a guess if all the bookings come in one after the other.
As I read her further explanation there is a different cancellation policy for resevations of 3 or mor rooms than if it is just a one room rez. THAT is what ticked as much as anything - and would me too. It seems the world is out to game the system!

Back