Intro new Innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a former aspiring innkeeper "lurking" around, I like to thank you all for the great information and wonderful stories.
Thank you!!
Our new B&B is located in Groningen, the Netherlands (Europe). We have six rooms, two cabins and ample common guest space. We have recently opened and are enjoying ourselves...... I just finished translating the website (partial) - I know it is far from perfect - but feel free to browse .
Again thanks,

Welcome! I'm pretty new an innkeeper myself - you'll find great information and support here.
Best wishes with your new BnB.

welcome.gif
and
cheers.gif

welcome.gif
former lurker, full time innkeeper. We look forward to hearing yOUR stories now. :)

Welcome to the forum, its a great place for info and even better for venting and storytelling!
welcome.gif

cheers.gif

welcome! your place looks lovely
welcome.gif

I think there is a translator script that can go on you website. I know you can do English to other languages ... maybe someone can suggest it.

I tried Google Lituanian to English and that was a nonsence as well.

no, it's some kind of translator that you build into your website if you have international visitors to your site. i think there is at least one b&b on here that does it ... mabye they'll see the post and chime in.

welcome! your place looks lovely
welcome.gif

I think there is a translator script that can go on you website. I know you can do English to other languages ... maybe someone can suggest it..
seashanty said:
I think there is a translator script that can go on you website.
I ran Bing's Live Search translator on the Dutch portions of the Bommelhoeve website and the translation was not good at all. Live Search does an excellent job with Spanish and pretty well with Swedish, but it's apparently not very good at Dutch.
Then I tried Yahoo's Babel Fish and it was even worse.
I'd say it will take a human!

no, it's some kind of translator that you build into your website if you have international visitors to your site. i think there is at least one b&b on here that does it ... mabye they'll see the post and chime in..
seashanty said:
no, it's some kind of translator that you build into your website...
Yes I understand that. I'm just saying that one built into the website is unlikely to give a good translation from Dutch to English, because none of the top computer-based sites seem able to do it well. It will take a human to translate their website from Dutch to English, just as they have partially done already.

seashanty said:
it's not to give a great translation, it's for convenience.
I won't belabor the point. It's just that when a computerized translation gives something as un-readable as the one below, maybe NO translation would be better.
When the nuns 40 years ago this Oldambster farmhouse to their holiday accommodation grew they knew not. Her meandering Windows Aa, plan Ellersinghuizer field, EHS westerwolde were some of the words of the future.

it's not to give a great translation, it's for convenience. there is some inn that has a button right on their website, so that the potential guest doesn't have to leave their website and they press for English or press for Italian, etc. it's for places that get a lot of international visitors.
i am thinking the inn that has it is in Canada or on the Maine/Canada border or maybe it was just some big city, and they get international visitors from many countries ... i don't know any innkeepers who speak several languages well enough to translate their websites ... maybe some'one' does the translating and it's on separate hidden pages, and the button clicking brings that up. i thought it was a nice feature.
like at the bottom of the four seasons hotel landing page, but it was a bit different.
up in nowhere, maine, i got a number of guests from italy, japan, china, germany, holland, france ... they spoke varying amounts of english. sadly, i only speak english.
sorry, Bommelhoeve .. didn't mean to highjack your thread.

Back