Introduction

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbread Latte

Reaction score
I am an Expectant Innkeeper ~ trying to learn as much as I can while waiting on the almighty banker to let me know if it's going to work or not.
I have enjoyed all the posts here, had to stop reading the "bad guests" ones after a while
tounge_smile.gif
and Thank You for posting the "good guest" thread.
Hopefully, in March I'll give birth to a 5 bedroom/1 guesthouse bundle of, uh, joy! I guess I'm in for a few years of sleepless nights, crying, questioning what-have-I-done and wondering if I'll be a good parent. Right now, I'm scared to death.
Just wanted to say HI, before I jump in and comment on threads.
~~georgia

Looking forward to congratulating you on your "new arrival". Best to you.

Just wait until your B&B becomes a teenager.
smileystooges.gif

Good Luck. Really, it's more fun than it is a pain. It's a chosen lifestyle. It's definitely not for everyone. But if you like people, have a little patience and a BIG sense of humor, you'll do all right.

Thank you all for the welcome! I'm looking forward to the challenge. When I get overwhelmed with the financials and inspections, I read about 'crock pot peaches' and sheet thread count.... the fun stuff.
~~g.

Welcome! This is a wonderful group! Ditto on what everyone said-its a lifestyle-most are not in for the $$ YEA RIGHT!! ha ha
welcome.gif

welcome.gif
can't wait to
cheers.gif
to your new arrival!!!
There is one heck of a lot of good information here, so keep reading!!
Oh, and BTW, the treads about the bad guests seem to out weigh the stories about the good ones but rest your weary mind as in the real world the wonderful guests out weigh the bad ones 1000 to .001. And so when we have a bad guest they really are noticed and so we vent here and brush it off so we can go back to our cheery guests.

Hi there,
Where will it be and have you had any previous Innkeeping experience?

Louisiana and NO, I haven't had a single day's experience. Current owner is leaving town, but has offered to help me as much as possible before that. I have a few friends who own B&Bs, but I only ask them major legal questions. (I don't want to ruin the friendship and that's probably the fastest way to do it.)
This is totally new to me, I'm starting at zero. (Maybe I could turn it into a reality TV show.... )
~~g

Louisiana and NO, I haven't had a single day's experience. Current owner is leaving town, but has offered to help me as much as possible before that. I have a few friends who own B&Bs, but I only ask them major legal questions. (I don't want to ruin the friendship and that's probably the fastest way to do it.)
This is totally new to me, I'm starting at zero. (Maybe I could turn it into a reality TV show.... )
~~g.
Gingerbread Latte said:
~~g
Or a book or a blog or a YouTube channel. Lots of options.

ah well you are welcome to come and get some "unpaid training days here!"
No you are wrong, you need to ask for all the help you can get - some people think its just opening up your door and serving breakfasts. First advice: Do not "re-sign" any existing contracts (credit card, pest control, insurance etc) - everything is negotiable and you need to know what you are looking at. Example - you need commercial insurance. The formers owners of this Inn "thought" they had it, but they never did. Credit card fees are NEVER GOOD when you take over a business, go to feefighters.com and see what they can get you, do not LEASE cc equip and make sure you are set up as hospitality. Pest control - anywhere near the south? MONTHLY.

ah well you are welcome to come and get some "unpaid training days here!"
No you are wrong, you need to ask for all the help you can get - some people think its just opening up your door and serving breakfasts. First advice: Do not "re-sign" any existing contracts (credit card, pest control, insurance etc) - everything is negotiable and you need to know what you are looking at. Example - you need commercial insurance. The formers owners of this Inn "thought" they had it, but they never did. Credit card fees are NEVER GOOD when you take over a business, go to feefighters.com and see what they can get you, do not LEASE cc equip and make sure you are set up as hospitality. Pest control - anywhere near the south? MONTHLY..
Yes on the pest control. We are known for our bugs and termites will eat a structure before you know it. Fortunately, I have office equipment, etc but have never dealt with credit cards. So, I need to learn about that too.
Current owner has no employees. She uses Webervations, is that a good booking site? Other than her insurance, she has no standing contracts.
Can you point me in the right direction to research insurance companies?
~~g

Back