Introduction

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will get a lot of great information from the folks on here! Innkeeping is hard work but it can be rewarding. You will meet guests who warm your heart and who stay in touch forever!
I had a small b&b (Cutter's Loft) until a few years ago (maybe some of you remember me from the About forum?). I really enjoyed it and miss many aspects of it. B&B guests will run the gamut, but in my experience, most were great! I still keep in contact with some of our guests.
Good luck to you!.
welcome.gif
back, Karen! How's retirement? (formerly AspireTX)
Thanks! Nice to see that you are on here! What are you doing now????
Unfortunately, I'm not retired yet except from innkeeping. After we closed the b&b 4 years ago and built the new house, I had to go back to work to help pay for the two houses. I've been working in a local school in special ed. for 3 1/2 years now. We recently put the old house back on the market. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will sell this year.
In the meantime, I work at the school then come home and work at my design business (currently making jewelry from my artwork and doing some website work for a couple people). I love the jewelry-making and would like to make my retirement job! Maybe in a couple of years...

You will get a lot of great information from the folks on here! Innkeeping is hard work but it can be rewarding. You will meet guests who warm your heart and who stay in touch forever!
I had a small b&b (Cutter's Loft) until a few years ago (maybe some of you remember me from the About forum?). I really enjoyed it and miss many aspects of it. B&B guests will run the gamut, but in my experience, most were great! I still keep in contact with some of our guests.
Good luck to you!.
welcome.gif
Unfortunately, I'm not retired yet except from innkeeping. After we closed the b&b 4 years ago and built the new house, I had to go back to work to help pay for the two houses. I've been working in a local school in special ed. for 3 1/2 years now. We recently put the old house back on the market. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will sell this year.
In the meantime, I work at the school then come home and work at my design business (currently making jewelry from my artwork and doing some website work for a couple people). I love the jewelry-making and would like to make my retirement job! Maybe in a couple of years...
Closed our B&B in 2010 after 2 years in the biz to spend more time with family and friends. We're getting ready to put the second house on the market in a month or so after a few changes/improvements. Housing market has been very slooooooooooooooooow here as well. I'm working a couple of part-time jobs & trying to figure out what to do when I grow up.
regular_smile.gif
If we sell the house next door, I may get a job in my professional field in the area of our retirement destination, buy a house there, & my dh will follow in a year or so when he retires. (It's only about 6 hours from here.) I also may have a lead on something full-time here with a healthcare business that will be moving to this area in a few months. My son is getting married this Fall so there will be plans for that. Now you're caught up!

Good luck to you!.
welcome.gif
Closed our B&B in 2010 after 2 years in the biz to spend more time with family and friends. We're getting ready to put the second house on the market in a month or so after a few changes/improvements. Housing market has been very slooooooooooooooooow here as well. I'm working a couple of part-time jobs & trying to figure out what to do when I grow up.
regular_smile.gif
If we sell the house next door, I may get a job in my professional field in the area of our retirement destination, buy a house there, & my dh will follow in a year or so when he retires. (It's only about 6 hours from here.) I also may have a lead on something full-time here with a healthcare business that will be moving to this area in a few months. My son is getting married this Fall so there will be plans for that. Now you're caught up!
>>>>I'm working a couple of part-time jobs & trying to figure out what to do when I grow up<<<<
I chuckled when I read this- it sounds like what I've been saying since we closed our b&b. The decision might be easier once the old house sells, but for now I also work two jobs, one out of necessity to help pay the bills and the other out of love of creating
teeth_smile.gif

I understand your reasons for closing though- running a b&b does have a way of dictating your life and schedule. It was difficult at times when our girls were young and had school activities/social activities, or just needed mom...sometimes family took second place. I don't think some people contemplating opening a b&b or inn think about the impact the business has on your personal life. You have to be ready to give a piece of yourself up.
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! It's mind-boggling that your son is all grown up now!
All the best to you!

Good luck to you!.
welcome.gif
regular_smile.gif
>>>>I'm working a couple of part-time jobs & trying to figure out what to do when I grow up<<<<
I chuckled when I read this- it sounds like what I've been saying since we closed our b&b. The decision might be easier once the old house sells, but for now I also work two jobs, one out of necessity to help pay the bills and the other out of love of creating
teeth_smile.gif

I understand your reasons for closing though- running a b&b does have a way of dictating your life and schedule. It was difficult at times when our girls were young and had school activities/social activities, or just needed mom...sometimes family took second place. I don't think some people contemplating opening a b&b or inn think about the impact the business has on your personal life. You have to be ready to give a piece of yourself up.
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! It's mind-boggling that your son is all grown up now!
All the best to you!
Thanks... My son just called and I think that they've decided on the church and reception venue for this Fall. He'll be 28 when he gets married. They are very excited!
I missed my son's graduation when he got his Masters' degree in 2009. After my brother was critically ill last year and I couldn't get away for over a week to go see him, I realized that my lifestyle required a change. Actually, where I wanted to be and do demanded a change.
I don't regret opening the B&B...it was a long time dream and I loved all of our wonderful guests (I just saw one who relocated here at the grocery store yesterday and she told me how much she enjoyed our place!). I also learned that while my dh enjoyed the social aspects of a B&B, owning our own business was not a good fit for him at all.
On to the next chapter....just like you! :)

Back