iphones and innkeeping ... is this the wave of the future?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the 'homey, old fashioned' is just surficial and behind the scenes it's all up to date and then some! Yeah, I have quilts and rockers, but you can surf the web in bed!
We have had a number of guests use GPS maps to find a last minute place to stay. I wouldn't ask to be taken off that!.
Bree said:
As long as the 'homey, old fashioned' is just surficial and behind the scenes it's all up to date and then some! Yeah, I have quilts and rockers, but you can surf the web in bed!
We have had a number of guests use GPS maps to find a last minute place to stay. I wouldn't ask to be taken off that!
That is the word SS was probably looking for, homey. Good word. We are homey, but we are mostly up to speed. Have to keep an eye on it to try to keep up to speed, it changes so quickly!
Hello everyone! I just wanted to chime in and introduce myself. I am the chief technology officer here at iLoveInns. Thanks for the kind words! This application has been a vision of ours for a while now and it's great to have an initial release out there. We have a large list of items that we will be adding, but I would love to hear some feedback you may have regarding features that you would like to see implemented.
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
cmonahan said:
Hello everyone! I just wanted to chime in and introduce myself. I am the chief technology officer here at iLoveInns. Thanks for the kind words! This application has been a vision of ours for a while now and it's great to have an initial release out there. We have a large list of items that we will be adding, but I would love to hear some feedback you may have regarding features that you would like to see implemented.
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
How can I get a screenshot of MY inn without actually having either the iPhone or the iPod? Sorry, we're geezers here.
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
How can I get a screenshot of MY inn without actually having either the iPhone or the iPod? Sorry, we're geezers here.
go to a store that cells them and has them on display - oh and then have a scrawny cellsman follow you around for an hour listing out all the benefits of the iPhone.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
go to a store that cells them and has them on display - oh and then have a scrawny cellsman follow you around for an hour listing out all the benefits of the iPhone.
Yeah, but how do I get the screenshot? It's on the phone...really, seriously, I'm a geezer...
How could I get it on an iPod? I DO have kids and nephews...can they send it to me? It's been along time since I've felt sooooooooo clueless.
Bree said:
Yeah, but how do I get the screenshot? It's on the phone...really, seriously, I'm a geezer...
How could I get it on an iPod? I DO have kids and nephews...can they send it to me? It's been along time since I've felt sooooooooo clueless.
To take a screenshot, you simply load the application and find your property. Press the home button and power button together for just a second and the phone makes a camera "click" sound. A screenshot will now be in your Photos application. You can then email this photo to yourself.
Hope this helps,
Chris

We have had a number of guests use GPS maps to find a last minute place to stay. I wouldn't ask to be taken off that!.
Bree said:
We have had a number of guests use GPS maps to find a last minute place to stay. I wouldn't ask to be taken off that!
That is the word SS was probably looking for, homey. Good word. We are homey, but we are mostly up to speed. Have to keep an eye on it to try to keep up to speed, it changes so quickly!
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
Bree said:
To take a screenshot, you simply load the application and find your property. Press the home button and power button together for just a second and the phone makes a camera "click" sound. A screenshot will now be in your Photos application. You can then email this photo to yourself.
Hope this helps,
Chris
cmonahan said:
Bree said:
Hope this helps,
Chris
I think perhaps she might be asking if you can send it to her? Come on now, we all know you have one...fess us.
shades_smile.gif

Bree said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
Bree said:
Hope this helps,
Chris
cmonahan said:
Bree said:
Hope this helps,
Chris
Chris- If I HAD a phone, I'd have done it already, geezer or not...it's the lack of phone that's the problem.
wink_smile.gif
I have called my kids, no luck, they have 'regular' phones. We are a very 'backwards' family here. Sooooo, if you COULD take the screenshot... Sorry, that opens you up to everyone and her uncle asking you the same thing.

Chris,
Question - when a user pops our listing up on their iphone, how would that convert on our referral stats? Would it show the referring domain as ilovesinns like it currently does? Or is there another name or pgrm it would show up under? I am looking at my statz prgm now and see one from iloveinns from yesterday. I would like to be able to track this and see how well it works for us. Thanks..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Chris,
Question - when a user pops our listing up on their iphone, how would that convert on our referral stats? Would it show the referring domain as ilovesinns like it currently does? Or is there another name or pgrm it would show up under? I am looking at my statz prgm now and see one from iloveinns from yesterday. I would like to be able to track this and see how well it works for us. Thanks.
Right now, when a person views your inns details page on the phone, our system counts those. Soon after Thanksgiving we will update our stats page to reflect iPhone stats. As far as tracking webpage referrals, version 1.0 appends a "?source=www.iloveinns.com" to your links. This will not show in the referral section of your trackers but instead in the content area. In version 1.1 which will be released soon, incoming links to your website will come from a referral of "feed.iloveinns.com". As long as you are looking for "iloveinns.com" and not www.iloveinns.com your tracker will show both. Remember, that this will not show you hits from version 1.0 at the moment.
Chris

Bree said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
Bree said:
Hope this helps,
Chris
cmonahan said:
Bree said:
Hope this helps,
Chris
Chris- If I HAD a phone, I'd have done it already, geezer or not...it's the lack of phone that's the problem.
wink_smile.gif
I have called my kids, no luck, they have 'regular' phones. We are a very 'backwards' family here. Sooooo, if you COULD take the screenshot... Sorry, that opens you up to everyone and her uncle asking you the same thing.
Bree said:
wink_smile.gif
Can you send me a private message of your Bed and Breakfast name, and an email address? I'll take a picture and send it to you. Anyone else who would like one I can do the same for you. :)
Chris

since i can't 'see' or 'touch' it, i want to know more about what the user sees ... i don't want inns to be in some kind of advertising that can be seen as obnoxious or intrusive ...

since i can't 'see' or 'touch' it, i want to know more about what the user sees ... i don't want inns to be in some kind of advertising that can be seen as obnoxious or intrusive ....
seashanty said:
since i can't 'see' or 'touch' it, i want to know more about what the user sees ... i don't want inns to be in some kind of advertising that can be seen as obnoxious or intrusive ...
InnTouch is a free application and has the same concept as computer software. The user has to choose to install it. If a person has InnTouch installed, they are purposely looking for a bed and breakfast to visit. In no way is anything forced upon the user. I hope this helps...
Chris

Bree said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
cmonahan said:
Sincerely,
Chris Monahan
Bree said:
Hope this helps,
Chris
cmonahan said:
Bree said:
Hope this helps,
Chris
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
wink_smile.gif
Can you send me a private message of your Bed and Breakfast name, and an email address? I'll take a picture and send it to you. Anyone else who would like one I can do the same for you. :)
Chris
cmonahan said:
Bree said:
wink_smile.gif
Chris
Thanks! Have already blogged about it and added the screenshot to my blog with a link to the app download page.

If you use the directory iloveinns you may go to your innkeeper log-on and see how many times your Inn has been viewed via an iphone (zero for me) and how many times someone clicked thru to your website via an iphone listing. (again that would be zero).
Does anyone care to share how many website clicks they have had from ilovesinns to their site (according to iloveinns stats) on this same page of info?
Mine has been 186 click thrus for the year and 775 detailed listing views. I am not getting bookings from this directory. I am going to back out of the BOGO offer and may not renew. I gave it a shot. It has not worked well for us at all.

If you use the directory iloveinns you may go to your innkeeper log-on and see how many times your Inn has been viewed via an iphone (zero for me) and how many times someone clicked thru to your website via an iphone listing. (again that would be zero).
Does anyone care to share how many website clicks they have had from ilovesinns to their site (according to iloveinns stats) on this same page of info?
Mine has been 186 click thrus for the year and 775 detailed listing views. I am not getting bookings from this directory. I am going to back out of the BOGO offer and may not renew. I gave it a shot. It has not worked well for us at all..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Mine has been 186 click thrus for the year and 775 detailed listing views. I am not getting bookings from this directory. I am going to back out of the BOGO offer and may not renew. I gave it a shot. It has not worked well for us at all.
Stats-
Website clicks...186
Detailed views...617
iPhone views...19
Calendar requests...5
I just renewed so I'll stick it out until it expires in 2010.

Mine has been 186 click thrus for the year and 775 detailed listing views. I am not getting bookings from this directory. I am going to back out of the BOGO offer and may not renew. I gave it a shot. It has not worked well for us at all..
Information for
the last [/td][td]7
days[/td][td]30
days[/td][td]3
mo[/td][td]12
mo[/td][/tr]Brief Listing views[/td][td]42[/td][td]81[/td][td]583[/td][td]3,126[/td][/tr][tr]Detailed Listing views[/td][td]15[/td][td]89[/td][td]295[/td][td]984[/td][/tr]Website clicks[/td][td]2[/td][td]11[/td][td]48[/td][td]242[/td][/tr][tr]Calendar requests[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]Contact emails[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][/tr][tr]iPhone listing views[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]iPhone website clicks[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][/table]

My stats (via iloveinns site) are:
Website click through: 107
Detail views: 707
iphone view 1
emails through listing: 6
Now according to bandb dot com, my click throughs equal that just in 2 1/2 months - (just joined in Oct.) The trouble is MY website stats (61) do not reflect the same as their site (107). Have any of you done the comparison? Feedback much appreciated on this too.

iphone view 1
Now according to bandb dot com, my click throughs equal that just in 2 1/2 months - (just joined in Oct.) The trouble is MY website stats (61) do not reflect the same as their site (107). Have any of you done the comparison? Feedback much appreciated on this too..
I think part of the disconnect happens when the directory has multiple links to your site. You may only pick up some of them in your stats, whereas they can count all outgoing clicks.

iphone view 1
Now according to bandb dot com, my click throughs equal that just in 2 1/2 months - (just joined in Oct.) The trouble is MY website stats (61) do not reflect the same as their site (107). Have any of you done the comparison? Feedback much appreciated on this too..
I think part of the disconnect happens when the directory has multiple links to your site. You may only pick up some of them in your stats, whereas they can count all outgoing clicks.
I don't think it can be chalked up to multiple links as long as your stats lump them all together as being from the same domain. It is different if your tracker looks at each page individually then you have to add them each up.
I think there are several things at play that can result in there being different numbers.
1) Their click counter registers the click as soon as the link is clicked. Your website stats only record it when the page fully loads. So if the download was stopped prematurely your tracker might not pick it up.
2) If they visited your site once from the first click, then when back to bandb.com then clicked back to your site (to compare or show an interested spouse...) both outgoing clicks would be recorded, but your site is already in the browser cache so your server may not have had to serve up a new page, The second view was from cache so it was not counted by your stats.
3) Bots. Their method for tracking clicks may not ignore bots like Yahoo-slurp or Google-bot. Your tracker might ignore bots (many do). Although I think in the case of bandb,com, this would not be the case because I think they use Analytics so it would ignore bot counts on their side and your side.
Of course the other possibility and concern is that they fudge the numbers. It's possible, but I doubt it. 2 and 3 could easily account for the difference in counts.

iphone view 1
I don't think it can be chalked up to multiple links as long as your stats lump them all together as being from the same domain. It is different if your tracker looks at each page individually then you have to add them each up.
I think there are several things at play that can result in there being different numbers.
1) Their click counter registers the click as soon as the link is clicked. Your website stats only record it when the page fully loads. So if the download was stopped prematurely your tracker might not pick it up.
2) If they visited your site once from the first click, then when back to bandb.com then clicked back to your site (to compare or show an interested spouse...) both outgoing clicks would be recorded, but your site is already in the browser cache so your server may not have had to serve up a new page, The second view was from cache so it was not counted by your stats.
3) Bots. Their method for tracking clicks may not ignore bots like Yahoo-slurp or Google-bot. Your tracker might ignore bots (many do). Although I think in the case of bandb,com, this would not be the case because I think they use Analytics so it would ignore bot counts on their side and your side.
Of course the other possibility and concern is that they fudge the numbers. It's possible, but I doubt it. 2 and 3 could easily account for the difference in counts.
What I was thinking about was something that happens here where my info appears to be loaded on two different servers for one organization I belong to. Some referrals come thru from one server (the most of them) but then I find 3-4 referrals waaaaaay at the bottom of the list from a different server. No idea how or why they have things broken up like that.

What I want to know is....HOW MUCH DOES ALL OF THIS STUFF COST?
I know the new phones are about $200..but what about the cost of all those minutes to text, gps, web surf, email...etc That can't be cheap ..why do parents pay for their kids to chatand text endlessly...where are priorities these days...and WHY in heavens name have we let ourselves get to glued to these things.
I personally think it is one of the worst things ever to happen to our society!!!! Sorry. Boy have I gotten to be an old fogey:)
I have one..but only for emergencies and the rare long distance calls I make to my family that is it. I do not want to be in touch 24/7!!!.
My daughter has a family plan. I have a phone on her plan for $10 a month. I don't make many calls and all incoming calls are free. All calls between phones in the plan are free. She pays $20 a month for unlimited texting. So the kids can do as much as they want and the price doesn't change. I make my long distance family calls that take a long time after 7pm weekdays or any time weekends because it is all free and doesn't count against the plans minutes. My being on her plan has not taken us over the minutes. The kids mostly use the texting and actually she does too. Her new phone has a slide out keyboard so it is easier to text. She loves it.

Information for
the last [/td][td]7
days[/td][td]30
days[/td][td]3
mo[/td][td]12
mo[/td][/tr]Brief Listing views[/td][td]97[/td][td]242[/td][td]1,510[/td][td]8,469[/td][/tr][tr]Detailed Listing views[/td][td]18[/td][td]116[/td][td]429[/td][td]1,639[/td][/tr]Website clicks[/td][td]1[/td][td]16[/td][td]74[/td][td]418[/td][/tr][tr]Calendar requests[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]21[/td][td]38[/td][/tr]Contact emails[/td][td]0[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td]13[/td][/tr][tr]iPhone listing views[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]iPhone website clicks[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][/table]That is my info from their website. I have had a few BOGOs over the past year - one coming up on Dec. 28. Plus one confirmed weekender (no gc) from them last weekend. Not a ton of traffic but enough to warrant staying on - for me, anyway.

J, if I had the same stats I would stick with it. I just cancelled inclusion in the GC prgm. My renewal date is March 2009. I will reevaluate closer to the date. If all I have had are two BOGO's then it is simply not worth it. But if I have a ton of traffic, and perhaps they go from there to another directory, then to me, then I will renew.

iphone view 1
What I was thinking about was something that happens here where my info appears to be loaded on two different servers for one organization I belong to. Some referrals come thru from one server (the most of them) but then I find 3-4 referrals waaaaaay at the bottom of the list from a different server. No idea how or why they have things broken up like that.
Yes sometimes they have the same site on multiple domains so the referrals are not counted as coming from the same place. Many have gotten smarter about rewriting one domain to the other.

iphone view 1
Swirt, thanks for the theroy on the number differences. I knew it was not due to multiple links as I do note them and add them - (i.e. bbonline has these too) so the total still was way different. I think that most likely it is # 2 or 3, not 1 so much. Our site is fast loading according to our web monitor, so only those with very slow connections would have the time to stop the download fast enough. I was wanting something to steer me from thinking of them fudging the numbers.

Back