IQ Winter Edition

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
I just had some time this morning to read my PAII Innkeeping Quarterly. By the time I fininished reading "creating your inn manual' aimed at providing innsitters with pertinent information....I was tired!!! This article really lays out the whys and wherefores of a B & B. I thought it would be excellent reading for an aspiring who hasn't got a clue what innkeeping involves. YOU can go here to read the on line version: http://www.innkeeping.org/?page=InnkeepingQuarterly

I never even started the article. It just looked like so much more work than I want to get into right now!

I never even started the article. It just looked like so much more work than I want to get into right now!.
YES..like I said...I was tired just reading it!!! LOTS OF WORK!!! But if you never use an innsitter, I would never bother doing something like this. We always just closed.

I never even started the article. It just looked like so much more work than I want to get into right now!.
I glanced over the article when it came. I think such a manual would be really helpful for innsitters (who are usually members of our extended family - they are great!). Plus, imagine how useful it would be for new owners should we sell? I did start putting some computer files in better order which include "inn forms," "specific room confirmation templates," "recipes," "room freshening steps," "room turning steps," "list of memberships," "user names and passwords (require another password to open)," "emergency contact info and local resources." Doing so makes one stop and think just how multitalented innkeepers need to be.
Heck, such a manual would be helpful for DH who is certain I am the designated keeper of details. I could say, "please tell me where you have already looked in the manual so that I don't repeat your efforts" - that used to work when I had employees seeking fast answers but not interested in doing the research.

YES..like I said...I was tired just reading it!!! LOTS OF WORK!!! But if you never use an innsitter, I would never bother doing something like this. We always just closed.
It is a good resource to have on hand, tho. You never know.

I did a manual several years ago. Not only is it really great if you have innsitters, but I find that DH will refer to it if I am away and he's got to cover things while I'm gone.
It does take a lot of time to put together, but if you spread out over time by doing a page every now and then, it's not so bad. I tended to do it as I was sitting at my computer waiting for guests to arrive.

I did a manual several years ago. Not only is it really great if you have innsitters, but I find that DH will refer to it if I am away and he's got to cover things while I'm gone.
It does take a lot of time to put together, but if you spread out over time by doing a page every now and then, it's not so bad. I tended to do it as I was sitting at my computer waiting for guests to arrive..
Breakfast Diva said:
I tended to do it as I was sitting at my computer waiting for guests to arrive.
That's when I finally warm up something to eat...brings 'em on every time!!!!

It does take a lot of time to put together, but if you spread out over time by doing a page every now and then, it's not so bad. I tended to do it as I was sitting at my computer waiting for guests to arrive..
Breakfast Diva said:
I tended to do it as I was sitting at my computer waiting for guests to arrive.
That's when I finally warm up something to eat...brings 'em on every time!!!!
That or go to the bathroom.

It is a good resource to have on hand, tho. You never know.
I just went through updating my five-year-old innsitter instructions for a new innsitter (and the first one in five years). I haven't got to read the article yet, but I told suellen that if she wanted to work on adding to it while she's there - as she discovers all the things I forgot to tell her - I would be very happy!

Back