Ireland B&B's?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee V

Reaction score
I am going on a trip to Ireland next month and was wondering if anyone here knew of any good B&B's to stay at. I will have 3 adults and need to find something not too expensive. I will be touring along the coastline for 8 days, trying to see as much as I can of the counties. I have found a couple websites, but wanted some personal input. Thanks :D

It has been a lot of years since we've been there and the only one that sticks in my mind as being exceptional was the Old Presbytery in Kinsale. I think it is mentioned in Karen Brown's guidebook on Ireland.

I'm now planning a trip for next fall (2010) to Ireland & Scotland. I'll have 3 weeks and because I'm looking to do self catering cottages which typically are 1 week rentals, I'm torn. Should I do 2 weeks in Ireland and 1 week Scotland or vice versa?
We're not doing B&Bs because there will be 4 of us and these cottages are so much cheaper. You can get a nice 2 bedroom cottage for $20-$25 per person per night. I also like to settle in to one place and take day trips.
Have any of you been to both Ireland & Scotland? Any input on which country should get the longer stay is appreciated.

I'm now planning a trip for next fall (2010) to Ireland & Scotland. I'll have 3 weeks and because I'm looking to do self catering cottages which typically are 1 week rentals, I'm torn. Should I do 2 weeks in Ireland and 1 week Scotland or vice versa?
We're not doing B&Bs because there will be 4 of us and these cottages are so much cheaper. You can get a nice 2 bedroom cottage for $20-$25 per person per night. I also like to settle in to one place and take day trips.
Have any of you been to both Ireland & Scotland? Any input on which country should get the longer stay is appreciated..
I have been to both but on separate trips - each trip was about 10 days. When we went to Scotland we were also in England for another 3 days or so, and took the train from London to Edinboro.
We loved the west coast of Ireland just south of Galway and plan to return to take a housekeeping cottage in Galway when we do. It really isn't hard to do day trips from one place. Scotland is more spread out. We loved it as well, except for the town my ancestors came from, Ayr. It's like the Wildwood of Scotland and we had a B&B room that turned out to be over a karoake bar. You have not lived until you've heard drunk Scots singing karaoke at 2 a.m.
I would probably do two weeks in Ireland and one in Scotland, but I would choose to stay in an area of Ireland other than near Dublin. The Dingle peninsula is gorgeous - we didn't do the ring of Kerry - and Doolin on the west coast has wonderful traditional music. We didn't get out to the Aran Islands but I would want to do that on a return trip.
Same for Scotland - I would choose a spot away from Edinboro and Glasgow just to avoid the city traffic issues for doing your day trips. The Isle of Skye is very pretty. If you can get your hands on the Karen Brown guidebooks, they cover sightseeing drives as well as places to stay. We thought they were very helpful.

Have any of you been to both Ireland & Scotland? Any input on which country should get the longer stay is appreciated..
I have been to both but on separate trips - each trip was about 10 days. When we went to Scotland we were also in England for another 3 days or so, and took the train from London to Edinboro.
We loved the west coast of Ireland just south of Galway and plan to return to take a housekeeping cottage in Galway when we do. It really isn't hard to do day trips from one place. Scotland is more spread out. We loved it as well, except for the town my ancestors came from, Ayr. It's like the Wildwood of Scotland and we had a B&B room that turned out to be over a karoake bar. You have not lived until you've heard drunk Scots singing karaoke at 2 a.m.
I would probably do two weeks in Ireland and one in Scotland, but I would choose to stay in an area of Ireland other than near Dublin. The Dingle peninsula is gorgeous - we didn't do the ring of Kerry - and Doolin on the west coast has wonderful traditional music. We didn't get out to the Aran Islands but I would want to do that on a return trip.
Same for Scotland - I would choose a spot away from Edinboro and Glasgow just to avoid the city traffic issues for doing your day trips. The Isle of Skye is very pretty. If you can get your hands on the Karen Brown guidebooks, they cover sightseeing drives as well as places to stay. We thought they were very helpful.
Thanks for your input Muirford. I was thinking the same thing. Our time would be spent on the west coast of Ireland, probably a week near Adare so we can do day trips. I found this lovely looking "cottage" then travel to Northern Ireland for the 2nd week
In Scotland, I was looking at an area near Stirling, between Glasgow & Edinburgh in the country. Are you familiar with that area? It's so hard to choose a location. I definitely want to go into Edinburgh on a day trip, but I don't want to stay in the big cities.
I'll pick up the Karen Brown book. I've been using Rick Steve's and Frommers.

Thanks for your input Muirford. I was thinking the same thing. Our time would be spent on the west coast of Ireland, probably a week near Adare so we can do day trips. I found this lovely looking "cottage" then travel to Northern Ireland for the 2nd week
In Scotland, I was looking at an area near Stirling, between Glasgow & Edinburgh in the country. Are you familiar with that area? It's so hard to choose a location. I definitely want to go into Edinburgh on a day trip, but I don't want to stay in the big cities.
I'll pick up the Karen Brown book. I've been using Rick Steve's and Frommers.
Adare is very pretty. And would be a manageable drive for most day trips. Are you going to Northern Ireland, or the northern part of Ireland? Belfast didn't interest us much although I would like to see the Giant's Causeway but we really enjoyed the area just south of Galway and thought we would like a cottage somewhere around Galway the next time around.
Stirling was one of the major towns we did not visit while in Scotland, although we were around it and in both Edinburgh and Glasgow. We headed west towards Skye after spending a few days in Edinburgh, and went to Glasgow after abandoning our karoake B&B in Ayr. I was doing some genealogical stuff while there so we also spent time in Dunbar, when John Muir is from. Scotland is a bit more spread out so your day trips will be more challenging. Depending on the time of year you go, you may not want to spend as much time in northern Scotland as we did. We enjoyed spending a little time in the cities there.

We'll be staying in Northern Ireland hopefully in a central location to see Giant's Causway on a day trip and explore the small towns. We had some guests who were from Northern Ireland and after they described the areas I couldn't wait to go. I also want to go on that suspension bridge!
We're planning to go the end of September, beginning of October. There should be some nice leaf color. Last year we were in Southern Germany during the same time frame and the foliage was spectacular in some places.
When do you think you'll make it back there? There are so many amazing places to explore and I've been to most of Europe, but DH hasn't so sometimes we go where I've already been just so he can experience it also. Hey, I'm game to go most anywhere!

For an additional kindness to innkeepers, when you stay at a place you like, have the proprietor/ess phone ahead to book you into a B&B at your destination. This avoids a cut made by the Tourist Board at the village booking office. As I recall, its a hefty percentage, and just a nice thing to do for fellow innkeepers.
KathleenM

We'll be staying in Northern Ireland hopefully in a central location to see Giant's Causway on a day trip and explore the small towns. We had some guests who were from Northern Ireland and after they described the areas I couldn't wait to go. I also want to go on that suspension bridge!
We're planning to go the end of September, beginning of October. There should be some nice leaf color. Last year we were in Southern Germany during the same time frame and the foliage was spectacular in some places.
When do you think you'll make it back there? There are so many amazing places to explore and I've been to most of Europe, but DH hasn't so sometimes we go where I've already been just so he can experience it also. Hey, I'm game to go most anywhere!.
We were there in May both trips - the weather was pretty good and the days were so long - it was barely dark at 10 p.m. The lengthy days helped us do more sightseeing, and not be wandering around driving on the wrong side of the road in the dark. We had thought about going back again this year but in reality it probably won't be for at least two, maybe three. Too many other things happening. We were fortunate to take some great vacations before we got into the innkeeping business - Spain was another great trip, and I think our best beach vacation was to the Cayman Islands where we also rented a house. I'm less tolerant of airplane travel than I used to be, though - it's not very much fun anymore. I'm not even looking forward to flying to Austin in March!

Thanks, I am a little nervous going and not having any accommodations booked, but from everything I have read, there are a lot of B&B's and the locals are more than happy to point you in the right direction. We plan on trying to have dinner in a pub each night and then to stay the night in that town. Because we are going to be touring, it is going to be impossible to know where we will be on what night. I will have to let you know my experiences when I get back :)

Thanks, I am a little nervous going and not having any accommodations booked, but from everything I have read, there are a lot of B&B's and the locals are more than happy to point you in the right direction. We plan on trying to have dinner in a pub each night and then to stay the night in that town. Because we are going to be touring, it is going to be impossible to know where we will be on what night. I will have to let you know my experiences when I get back :).
Have a wonderful time! Be sure to jot down your favorite site seeing places. I'd love to hear back from you as I'm going there next year.

Back