Ironing Pillowcases....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was speaking to a tourism director who told me about this class they recently took in GA and sat beside an innkeeper/owner of a Savannah inn. I chuckled as said "You mean they actually work at marketing there? Seems to be they do anything they want and guests just pour in" location location location.
So GG my next question is about breakfast? Was it a continental or hot meal?.
Joe Bloggs said:
I was speaking to a tourism director who told me about this class they recently took in GA and sat beside an innkeeper/owner of a Savannah inn. I chuckled as said "You mean they actually work at marketing there? Seems to be they do anything they want and guests just pour in" location location location.
So GG my next question is about breakfast? Was it a continental or hot meal?
Breakfast was continental all the way....but we knew that when we booked it so it wasn't a surprise. They did have really really good coffee! They had grits in a crockpot with shredded cheese to add, then the usual bagels, danish, boiled eggs (what's with boiled eggs anyway? I just don't get that for breakfast....!).
Oh YES, boiled eggs! Some of us have to watch our sugar/carbohydrates, especially later in life. There were times I wished a lodging had them. I mentioned it to the desk clerk, who replied they used to have them, but they just sat there. I really didn't want to send my blood sugar into the 200s that morning with simple carbohydrates. Now that I've allowed myself to take meds on occasion, I don't need to be quite so careful, but still try to watch it. Hard boiled eggs are quite common in Germany and Czech Republic.
C

I iron the pillowcases and napkins. You might not be able to tell I iron the pillowcases because by the time I set more pillows on them, it kinda undoes the ironed effect. I also iron the top 12" or so on the top sheet.
C

Sigh .... I am the ironing freakazoid. I really, really, really don't like ironing, but I love the end result. I iron everything.
I'm a wee bit tired today. Dishwasher died yesterday. Car is inoperative so I'm walking with a cart to do all my heavy shopping. Just finished mowing our two acres. Newly weds coming in tonight (towards midnight) so I'm preparing rose petals etc and breakfast tomorrow is a make-a-head that I'll find some time for later, hopefully after I've eaten something.
BUT I still need to find a good two hours ironing time before I hit the sack.
Sunday is my sacrosanct ironing day. Ideally, I find a supremely crappy marathon on TV and just keep on going until everything is DONE !!!!!
Missing DH too.

I was so excited about finding 400 thread count sheets at a reasonable price on QVC. Once I got them I found out that they are very soft but wrinkle terribly. I tried everything, fabric softener, taking them out of the drier before completely dry. Nothing worked. I ironed the pillowcases but even then they were never completely smooth. Finally stopped using them altogether.

I was so excited about finding 400 thread count sheets at a reasonable price on QVC. Once I got them I found out that they are very soft but wrinkle terribly. I tried everything, fabric softener, taking them out of the drier before completely dry. Nothing worked. I ironed the pillowcases but even then they were never completely smooth. Finally stopped using them altogether..
The only sheets I will buy that are 400 TC or above are Egyption cotton or a cotton/poly blend because of the wrinkle factor.

I was so excited about finding 400 thread count sheets at a reasonable price on QVC. Once I got them I found out that they are very soft but wrinkle terribly. I tried everything, fabric softener, taking them out of the drier before completely dry. Nothing worked. I ironed the pillowcases but even then they were never completely smooth. Finally stopped using them altogether..
SweetiePie said:
I was so excited about finding 400 thread count sheets at a reasonable price on QVC. Once I got them I found out that they are very soft but wrinkle terribly. I tried everything, fabric softener, taking them out of the drier before completely dry. Nothing worked. I ironed the pillowcases but even then they were never completely smooth. Finally stopped using them altogether.
Thread count is not a good indicator. The 400 TC actually felt smoother and softer than a much higher thread count that was available to us. As mentioned earlier, Egyptian cotton seems to do a better job that just plain cotton or a cotton/poly blend.
I have personally not had any experience with them, but I understand that Bamboo fiber makes a good wrinkle resistant sheet.

So GG my next question is about breakfast? Was it a continental or hot meal?.
Joe Bloggs said:
So GG my next question is about breakfast? Was it a continental or hot meal?
Breakfast was continental all the way....but we knew that when we booked it so it wasn't a surprise. They did have really really good coffee! They had grits in a crockpot with shredded cheese to add, then the usual bagels, danish, boiled eggs (what's with boiled eggs anyway? I just don't get that for breakfast....!).
Hard boiled eggs are quite popular. When I worked at a Holiday Inn Express they served hard boiled eggs for the breakfast there. They were made onsite. Then later on the entire company started sending vacuum sealed bags of hard boiled eggs that already were cooked and peeled.

SweetiePie said:
Thread count is not a good indicator. The 400 TC actually felt smoother and softer than a much higher thread count that was available to us. As mentioned earlier, Egyptian cotton seems to do a better job that just plain cotton or a cotton/poly blend.
I have personally not had any experience with them, but I understand that Bamboo fiber makes a good wrinkle resistant sheet.
That is so true. It amazed us when we started looking into how sheets were made and what a good sheet was and how the terms they use can be confusing.
We started out with some incredibly comfortable 100% 400 tc single ply dot pattern sheets, but found ourselves ironing them endlessly. One day, we scraped the whole lot and moved into the 100% 400 tc single ply Damask Stripe sheets from Macys. Haven't had to iron since. We get lots of compliments on them, they come in many colors and sizes and it allows us to mix and match without worrying about what sheets go with what. They have switched to 500tc but I think they are still single ply yarn.

Sigh .... I am the ironing freakazoid. I really, really, really don't like ironing, but I love the end result. I iron everything.
I'm a wee bit tired today. Dishwasher died yesterday. Car is inoperative so I'm walking with a cart to do all my heavy shopping. Just finished mowing our two acres. Newly weds coming in tonight (towards midnight) so I'm preparing rose petals etc and breakfast tomorrow is a make-a-head that I'll find some time for later, hopefully after I've eaten something.
Sunday is my sacrosanct ironing day. Ideally, I find a supremely crappy marathon on TV and just keep on going until everything is DONE !!!!!
Missing DH too..
I iron the sheets too. Thankfully, I found a housekeeper that likes to iron :)
I hope everything comes together...sounds like you had a hard couple of days.

By the way, I figured out early on that the most efficient way for me is to remove the pillowcase from the pillow inside out and keep it that way through the ironing process. Then when putting the clean pillow case on the pillow I put my arms all the way into the case and grab the corners of the pillow through the corners of the case and then turn the case right side out while it's on the pillow. Although it may be obvious, I hope this might speed someone's day.

Missing DH too..
Samster said:
We mangle, thanks to Jeannie!
Riki

Missing DH too..
Samster said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
So how do you like using the mangle now that you have it? I iron so much I should get one. I've only had experience with a large hotel industrial sized mangle that was powered by natural gas and was very noisy. We took the sheets and pillow cases straight out of the washer and ran them through wet and when they came out the other end they were dry.

I am experimenting. Today I went out and bought an inexpensive steam iron for upstairs. I "steam irined" the sheets - bottom first and then top) on the bed. They felt kind of damp to me (like sheets in Hot Springs. Arkansas - damp in the evening and damp in the morning) so I left them for awhile before adding the duvet. Tomorrow when I flip the room from tonight I will see what it does as a "dry iron". I figured it was worth $12 + tax to find out. Now to see if guests notice it....

We tend to get a bit wrinkly sometimes in the summer, but are always very crisp off season.

Wrinkles with FOLDS or wrinkled in a all over way? (Sounds like all over if you sniffed them, I have to admit I have done that myself). At times I wonder if they bunch them all up and then put them back on the bed they are so wrinkly..
I always iron my sheets, but when I am gone and DH takes over, he just "sort of" ironed them.....actually, he never even looks at the iron but he does wash them !!!!!. I can definately tell the difference ... and now I have to iron the sheets before I can put them back on....but I do appreciate every little bit he does do since without him I could never leave this place :)
Maybe it was a new help or just a lazy help and the owner did not know.

Missing DH too..
Samster said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
So how do you like using the mangle now that you have it? I iron so much I should get one. I've only had experience with a large hotel industrial sized mangle that was powered by natural gas and was very noisy. We took the sheets and pillow cases straight out of the washer and ran them through wet and when they came out the other end they were dry.
oceans said:
I'm still getting used to it. It does not do as perfect a job as ironing on a board. That would require the $2,000 Meile Mangle and I don't have the money for that yet. Our next item in that price range will be a new vineyard hood or sprayer for Chris.
But I did 4 sets of sheets in about an hour the first time I tried it...
Riki

Missing DH too..
Samster said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
oceans said:
I'm still getting used to it. It does not do as perfect a job as ironing on a board. That would require the $2,000 Meile Mangle and I don't have the money for that yet. Our next item in that price range will be a new vineyard hood or sprayer for Chris.
Riki
4 sets in an hour is pretty fast, I think. The fitted sheets won't ever look as good as the flat ones or pillowcases - in fact, I'm not sure it's worth mangle-ing those.

OK, did a dry iron on the bed this morning and I liked that better than the steamed. It took a little longer to get the wrinkles, but I may incorporate that into the bed making routine. Standing at the ironing board? - it ain't happening.

Missing DH too..
Samster said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
oceans said:
Riki
4 sets in an hour is pretty fast, I think. The fitted sheets won't ever look as good as the flat ones or pillowcases - in fact, I'm not sure it's worth mangle-ing those.
muirford said:
I forgot to note that I did not include the fitted sheet in that. I don't think I could fold it properly and mangle. I do those at the board still.
Riki

Missing DH too..
Samster said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
oceans said:
Riki
muirford said:
Wow...maybe I don't want a mangle now. 4 sets in one hour seems like that is taking forever to do. When I used the mangle at the large hotel it took about 2 minutes to have a sheet run through the machine and come out the other end and be folded. We had two people at the machine feeding the sheet in and folding it. We had 175 rooms. I think I am going to stick to my method of ironing the sheets right on the bed with a regular iron. It takes me about 5 minutes to do the fitted sheet and the top sheet as I am making the bed.

Back