Ironing Pillowcases....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigh .... I am the ironing freakazoid. I really, really, really don't like ironing, but I love the end result. I iron everything.
I'm a wee bit tired today. Dishwasher died yesterday. Car is inoperative so I'm walking with a cart to do all my heavy shopping. Just finished mowing our two acres. Newly weds coming in tonight (towards midnight) so I'm preparing rose petals etc and breakfast tomorrow is a make-a-head that I'll find some time for later, hopefully after I've eaten something.
BUT I still need to find a good two hours ironing time before I hit the sack.
Sunday is my sacrosanct ironing day. Ideally, I find a supremely crappy marathon on TV and just keep on going until everything is DONE !!!!!
Missing DH too..
I iron the sheets too. Thankfully, I found a housekeeper that likes to iron :)
I hope everything comes together...sounds like you had a hard couple of days.
Samster said:
We mangle, thanks to Jeannie!
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
So how do you like using the mangle now that you have it? I iron so much I should get one. I've only had experience with a large hotel industrial sized mangle that was powered by natural gas and was very noisy. We took the sheets and pillow cases straight out of the washer and ran them through wet and when they came out the other end they were dry.
oceans said:
So how do you like using the mangle now that you have it? I iron so much I should get one. I've only had experience with a large hotel industrial sized mangle that was powered by natural gas and was very noisy. We took the sheets and pillow cases straight out of the washer and ran them through wet and when they came out the other end they were dry.
I'm still getting used to it. It does not do as perfect a job as ironing on a board. That would require the $2,000 Meile Mangle and I don't have the money for that yet. Our next item in that price range will be a new vineyard hood or sprayer for Chris.
But I did 4 sets of sheets in about an hour the first time I tried it...
Riki
4 sets in an hour is pretty fast, I think. The fitted sheets won't ever look as good as the flat ones or pillowcases - in fact, I'm not sure it's worth mangle-ing those.
muirford said:
4 sets in an hour is pretty fast, I think. The fitted sheets won't ever look as good as the flat ones or pillowcases - in fact, I'm not sure it's worth mangle-ing those.
Wow...maybe I don't want a mangle now. 4 sets in one hour seems like that is taking forever to do. When I used the mangle at the large hotel it took about 2 minutes to have a sheet run through the machine and come out the other end and be folded. We had two people at the machine feeding the sheet in and folding it. We had 175 rooms. I think I am going to stick to my method of ironing the sheets right on the bed with a regular iron. It takes me about 5 minutes to do the fitted sheet and the top sheet as I am making the bed.
oceans said:
muirford said:
Wow...maybe I don't want a mangle now. 4 sets in one hour seems like that is taking forever to do. When I used the mangle at the large hotel it took about 2 minutes to have a sheet run through the machine and come out the other end and be folded. We had two people at the machine feeding the sheet in and folding it. We had 175 rooms. I think I am going to stick to my method of ironing the sheets right on the bed with a regular iron. It takes me about 5 minutes to do the fitted sheet and the top sheet as I am making the bed.
I think so too. 1 hour seems a long time with a machine. Do you have to leave it sitting closed for a set time?
I don't iron my fitted sheets, but the flat and pillowcases would take me about 20 - 30 minutes for 4 sets.

Sigh .... I am the ironing freakazoid. I really, really, really don't like ironing, but I love the end result. I iron everything.
I'm a wee bit tired today. Dishwasher died yesterday. Car is inoperative so I'm walking with a cart to do all my heavy shopping. Just finished mowing our two acres. Newly weds coming in tonight (towards midnight) so I'm preparing rose petals etc and breakfast tomorrow is a make-a-head that I'll find some time for later, hopefully after I've eaten something.
Sunday is my sacrosanct ironing day. Ideally, I find a supremely crappy marathon on TV and just keep on going until everything is DONE !!!!!
Missing DH too..
Samster said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
oceans said:
I'm still getting used to it. It does not do as perfect a job as ironing on a board. That would require the $2,000 Meile Mangle and I don't have the money for that yet. Our next item in that price range will be a new vineyard hood or sprayer for Chris.
Riki
muirford said:
oceans said:
When I used the mangle at the large hotel it took about 2 minutes to have a sheet run through the machine and come out the other end and be folded. We had two people at the machine feeding the sheet in and folding it.
Maybe that's a different kind of mangle. The Ironrites don't fold anything. Or do you mean one person feeding and one person folding at the end. Much of the time I spent on the sheets is getting them folded properly (they are already folded when fed into the machine) and spraying them with light starch. So 15 minutes for a complete set - 4 pillows, 1 flat, 1 fitted - seems about right to me. It has been awhile since I did anything more than table linens on our mangle. It's only a one-person operation, though.

Missing DH too..
Samster said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
oceans said:
Riki
muirford said:
oceans said:
When I used the mangle at the large hotel it took about 2 minutes to have a sheet run through the machine and come out the other end and be folded. We had two people at the machine feeding the sheet in and folding it.
Maybe that's a different kind of mangle. The Ironrites don't fold anything. Or do you mean one person feeding and one person folding at the end. Much of the time I spent on the sheets is getting them folded properly (they are already folded when fed into the machine) and spraying them with light starch. So 15 minutes for a complete set - 4 pillows, 1 flat, 1 fitted - seems about right to me. It has been awhile since I did anything more than table linens on our mangle. It's only a one-person operation, though.
muirford said:
The unit was about the length of a king sized sheet or maybe more. It was butted up against the wall and it took two people to feed in the sheets to get them in straight. They went through the roller and out they came on a little shelf right below the roller and then it took two people to fold the sheet right away. We did sort of a dance when folding them. I can't explain it.
This is hard to really explain but I will do my best. I learned this when I worked at Holiday Inn which did not have a mangle. All the sheets were folded this way. For folding and storage of the flat sheets I have a spring loaded clamp that I use to help me fold. The clamp is screwed into the wall in the laundry room. I take the top of the sheet and fold it in half and then open the clamp on the wall. I insert the end of the sheet in where it is folded and clamp it. I then back up with the other end of the sheet in my hand and get it straightend out. Then fold the sheet in thirds. I use my right hand to hold the sheet and my left hand to mark where I will make the fold and then I end up near the clamp again and unclamp it. Then I lay it on the table and fold it in thirds again and I am done. I learned that using the clamp eliminated the other person needed to fold the sheets like we did in the hotel.

Missing DH too..
Samster said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Samster said:
Riki
oceans said:
Riki
muirford said:
oceans said:
I guess I'll pass on a mangle then...I am quicker now than 4 sets of sheets in an hour and the fitted sheets look pretty dang good! :)

Back