Ironing Pillowcases....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
We stayed at an Inn in Savannah last weekend and when I went to lay on the bed I noticed the pillowcases were wrinkly which led me to look at the sheets which were also wrinkly then I wondered if they were clean sheets. I actually smelled them to make sure they didn't smell "used".....
confused_smile.gif
Thank goodness they had that laundry smell!
I am writing this because I stated that I never paid attention to if the pillowcases were ironed or not in a reply before. I am assuming I've never noticed because either they were ironed or just very wrinkle free sheets.

That's interesting. So did it ruin your stay after you discovered wrinkles? Is it possible that you only noticed because they were not wrinkled AND it was a topic here?

Nope, didn't ruin our stay! It's just that I had said something to the effect that I've never paid any attention whether the pillowcases or sheets were ironed when I've stayed at b&b's before, so I'm assuming the places I've stayed must have ironed them or have sheets/pillowcases that do not wrinkle.

Yeah I can definitly tell if they havn't been ironed. I stayed at a B & B that ironed the pillow cases and those looked nice but the sheets were very wrinkled looking.

Wrinkles with FOLDS or wrinkled in a all over way? (Sounds like all over if you sniffed them, I have to admit I have done that myself). At times I wonder if they bunch them all up and then put them back on the bed they are so wrinkly.

I was speaking to a tourism director who told me about this class they recently took in GA and sat beside an innkeeper/owner of a Savannah inn. I chuckled as said "You mean they actually work at marketing there? Seems to be they do anything they want and guests just pour in" location location location.
So GG my next question is about breakfast? Was it a continental or hot meal?

My sheets have fold wrinkles. I smooth out as I make the bed but I do iron the pillowcases because Ithey look nicer - but I do not startch them, just iron. I am trying to be as perfume-free etc as I can.

Yeah I would think that using starch might irritate people. I've never tried that with B & B linens. Just simply ironed them.

Yeah I would think that using starch might irritate people. I've never tried that with B & B linens. Just simply ironed them..
oceans said:
Yeah I would think that using starch might irritate people. I've never tried that with B & B linens. Just simply ironed them.
I used to starch mine, once they got into the system they seem to wash and iron easier now. Starch is corn starch - not chemically based, so unless they are allergic to corn. I don't put anything perfumey on them. Oddly enough a guest thought I spritz her room with lavendar this week - I didn't, it was the prev guests cologne or spray. I wonder how much of this gets built up in our carpets/rugs.

That's why it so so so important to get the right sheet sets. We love that we can hang our Egyptian cotton sheets and pillowcases to line dry then smooth them out BY HAND when they're on the bed. No ironing! Well, almost none. There is the occasional touch up here and there, but rarely.
DW found a Ralph Lauren set second-hand (barely used) that is wonderful. The sheets and cases dry in minutes on the line and are totally wrinkle free.

That's why it so so so important to get the right sheet sets. We love that we can hang our Egyptian cotton sheets and pillowcases to line dry then smooth them out BY HAND when they're on the bed. No ironing! Well, almost none. There is the occasional touch up here and there, but rarely.
DW found a Ralph Lauren set second-hand (barely used) that is wonderful. The sheets and cases dry in minutes on the line and are totally wrinkle free..
Proud Texan said:
DW found a Ralph Lauren set second-hand (barely used) that is wonderful. The sheets and cases dry in minutes on the line and are totally wrinkle free.
The best sheets ever were Dan River linens - no longer in business. No wrinkles ever and 100% cotton, I will never be able to find them that good again! I try oh I try.
Can you share your brand and where purchased on the Egyptians again please PT.

DW found a Ralph Lauren set second-hand (barely used) that is wonderful. The sheets and cases dry in minutes on the line and are totally wrinkle free..
Proud Texan said:
The best sheets ever were Dan River linens - no longer in business. No wrinkles ever and 100% cotton, I will never be able to find them that good again! I try oh I try.
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
400 TC Egyptian Cotton from Target's "HOME" collection. I want to think that the Queen set was around $50. We've had them on the beds for a year now and they still look new.

Arrrgh! I bought ALL of my sheets at Ralph Lauren when we first got here. Got a super 'innkeeper' discount with the idea that guests would love them, ask where I got them and go buy them themselves. Worst mistake ever. I spent the first summer ironing all night long. They must have a couple of different lines of linens. We got the wrinkly line!
I still have the twin size sets and they're fine, but anything larger than that needed ironing.

Arrrgh! I bought ALL of my sheets at Ralph Lauren when we first got here. Got a super 'innkeeper' discount with the idea that guests would love them, ask where I got them and go buy them themselves. Worst mistake ever. I spent the first summer ironing all night long. They must have a couple of different lines of linens. We got the wrinkly line!
I still have the twin size sets and they're fine, but anything larger than that needed ironing.
We have "gingham checked" Ralph Lauren..about 5 sets of them and we are still using them ourselves 7 years later. No wrinkles and still almost as nice as when first purchased.

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
400 TC Egyptian Cotton from Target's "HOME" collection. I want to think that the Queen set was around $50. We've had them on the beds for a year now and they still look new.
I have some Egyptian cotton sheets I bought 13 years ago that are now on our bed - because the elastic gave up, not because of problems with the sheets. Egyptian cotton is a longer fiber and I think that is why it wrinkles less.

Wrinkles with FOLDS or wrinkled in a all over way? (Sounds like all over if you sniffed them, I have to admit I have done that myself). At times I wonder if they bunch them all up and then put them back on the bed they are so wrinkly..
Joe Bloggs said:
Wrinkles with FOLDS or wrinkled in a all over way? (Sounds like all over if you sniffed them, I have to admit I have done that myself). At times I wonder if they bunch them all up and then put them back on the bed they are so wrinkly.
In full disclosure this was a 60 room Inn (small boutique hotel), not a small 4 or 6 room inn. I found them on B&B.com.
There were no folds that I saw, just wrinkly all over like they were forgotten in the dryer (I know that look well......that is what happen in my house when I do laundry!).
I will admit though, the wrinkles didn't bother me, just made me wonder if they were washed between guests. If I had never been on this forum before I don't know if I would have even paid much attention to it though. Now ask me if it bothered me that the glasses and coffee mugs were not changed or "washed" during our weekend....
whattha.gif

I was speaking to a tourism director who told me about this class they recently took in GA and sat beside an innkeeper/owner of a Savannah inn. I chuckled as said "You mean they actually work at marketing there? Seems to be they do anything they want and guests just pour in" location location location.
So GG my next question is about breakfast? Was it a continental or hot meal?.
Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast was continental all the way....but we knew that when we booked it so it wasn't a surprise. They did have really really good coffee! They had grits in a crockpot with shredded cheese to add, then the usual bagels, danish, boiled eggs (what's with boiled eggs anyway? I just don't get that for breakfast....!).

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast was continental all the way....but we knew that when we booked it so it wasn't a surprise. They did have really really good coffee! They had grits in a crockpot with shredded cheese to add, then the usual bagels, danish, boiled eggs (what's with boiled eggs anyway? I just don't get that for breakfast....!).
GeorgiaGirl said:
boiled eggs (what's with boiled eggs anyway? I just don't get that for breakfast....!).
Easy-to-serve protein for the leftover Atkins dieters and people who need a low-sugar breakfast.

Joe Bloggs said:
Gosh most all places with continental breakfast serve hard boiled eggs. Giving you protein..without having to mess around scrambling eggs etc etc.

Joe Bloggs said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Again, being on THIS forum you can learn much...continental is typically a difference in health dept rules - ie no commercial kitchen = no cooking for guests - hard boiled eggs can be purchased and put on the continental, just like muffins (store bought).

Back