Is anyone NORMAL anymore?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
If I make it though the next couple of weekends I think I will be a kitchen genius!
Alergies & food preferences:
2 vegatarians, 1 gluten free, grapes, nuts, peaches (its family), kiwi, eggs, cheese, and milk.

Hey you never said you were a restaurant and short order cook. Food allergies yes...food prefereces...only if it isn't going to be a pain in the butt for you:-(

Hey you never said you were a restaurant and short order cook. Food allergies yes...food prefereces...only if it isn't going to be a pain in the butt for you:-(.
catlady said:
Hey you never said you were a restaurant and short order cook. Food allergies yes...food prefereces...only if it isn't going to be a pain in the butt for you:-(
I call vegatarians a food preference, even though many do choose this due to intolerance of certain meats. All the others are allergies.
The fruits & nuts are the easy parts to avoid. And I can use soy in the place of milk (that has been OK'ed).
The hardest morning will be this Sat. with the following issues (maybe this would have been the best choice of words): eggs, cheese, milk and gluten free. I feel there is no choice but to have at least 2 different dishes.
Anyone can help me to limit my cooking, I will be forever thankful! Dreading Sat. morning.

nope and I am glad to see that all the 'non - normal' people don't necessarily come to me.
wink_smile.gif

If I didn't eat pork due to religious reasons, I would just say Vegetarian to make it easier. I think many do this as well. Sure they might eat chicken, fish, but makes it a simple solution for breakfast out.

Hey you never said you were a restaurant and short order cook. Food allergies yes...food prefereces...only if it isn't going to be a pain in the butt for you:-(.
catlady said:
I call vegatarians a food preference, even though many do choose this due to intolerance of certain meats. All the others are allergies.
The fruits & nuts are the easy parts to avoid. And I can use soy in the place of milk (that has been OK'ed).
The hardest morning will be this Sat. with the following issues (maybe this would have been the best choice of words): eggs, cheese, milk and gluten free. I feel there is no choice but to have at least 2 different dishes.
Anyone can help me to limit my cooking, I will be forever thankful! Dreading Sat. morning.
How many of each? And are these allergies or preferences?
If they are preferences rather than allergies, I would suggest pancakes or waffles and gluten free pancakes or waffles for that person. (If it is a contact gluten allergy, as in their food even coming in contact with the griddle that has cooked someone's gluten-filled brekkie, then cook theirs first and hot-hold it in the oven.) Allergies to eggs are severe, tho, so I'd check if it's an allergy. Many guests plain old do not like the look or texture of eggs so they say 'eggs' even tho they will eat cake, cookies, mayonnaise, etc.
Watch out for the soy for everyone as some people can't eat that and they don't expect it to show up.
This is why we all need to say 'we will TRY to accommodate your restrictions, but we may not be able to'. Then hand them a yogurt or a box of cereal or some dry toast and go about your day. You don't have a menu service.
Unless you think you could handle a menu for this weekend...pick one item from the menu on Friday night and that's what they get Sat morning, no substitutions when they see how good something else looks.
Sorry, just noticed it was one gluten free. However, do you know if it's allergies or preferences on the rest of them? Because if it's preferences, I'd go with pancakes for everyone else and eggs for the gluten free. Cook it, plate it, serve it. Save yourself the grief of buying gluten free mixes.
We try and it is so unappreciated. Except one mom who thanked us again and again for making cookies her kid could eat. Otherwise, adults with 'issues' EXPECT you to handle them and never thank you.

If I didn't eat pork due to religious reasons, I would just say Vegetarian to make it easier. I think many do this as well. Sure they might eat chicken, fish, but makes it a simple solution for breakfast out..
Joey Bloggs said:
If I didn't eat pork due to religious reasons, I would just say Vegetarian to make it easier. I think many do this as well.
We keep the turkey sausage/bacon for those who don't eat pork - they will often say no pork or no red meat. The turkey bacon's a bit of a pain to cook - DH always threatens to cook it after the regular bacon so it has some flavor - but the turkey sausages are just a heat-up-in-microwave item. There are some good chicken sausages out there, too.

I accidentally bought beef sausage, I am a-scared to even try them. Somehow I reached back and grabbed the wrong one. I am waiting for a no pork, but eats beef guest to come along.
The veg snags are not bad, I would eat those, they have some of the same pork sausage seasoning like fennel and sage.

catlady said:
If they are preferences rather than allergies, I would suggest pancakes or waffles and gluten free pancakes or waffles for that person. (If it is a contact gluten allergy, as in their food even coming in contact with the griddle that has cooked someone's gluten-filled brekkie, then cook theirs first and hot-hold it in the oven.) Allergies to eggs are severe, tho, so I'd check if it's an allergy. Many guests plain old do not like the look or texture of eggs so they say 'eggs' even tho they will eat cake, cookies, mayonnaise, etc.
Watch out for the soy for everyone as some people can't eat that and they don't expect it to show up.
This is why we all need to say 'we will TRY to accommodate your restrictions, but we may not be able to'. Then hand them a yogurt or a box of cereal or some dry toast and go about your day. You don't have a menu service.
Unless you think you could handle a menu for this weekend...pick one item from the menu on Friday night and that's what they get Sat morning, no substitutions when they see how good something else looks.
Sorry, just noticed it was one gluten free. However, do you know if it's allergies or preferences on the rest of them? Because if it's preferences, I'd go with pancakes for everyone else and eggs for the gluten free. Cook it, plate it, serve it. Save yourself the grief of buying gluten free mixes.
We try and it is so unappreciated. Except one mom who thanked us again and again for making cookies her kid could eat. Otherwise, adults with 'issues' EXPECT you to handle them and never thank you.
Yes, seems like all allergies. Some - like the gluten free & the milk/cheese, went in great detail about what they can & can not eat due to the issue. This was all in emails with the confirmation. (Gluten was in the reservation notes to make sure we were able to accommodate). The egg one I wonder about, as he told me on check-in last night. He said that he is not quite sure what it is but he has started having stomach issues when he eats eggs - where eggs are the main part of the dish. I made him a potato/sausage pie (my own recipe) which has eggs in it, but does not have an egg consistancy when cooked (less than 1 egg per serving). He loved it! I told him to let me know if that was more egg than he should eat. He just came in and said no problems.
I know the peach, kiwi, nut and grapes are all allergy related - they stayed with me last year and I still remember the stories. Still, those are the easy ones!
I think I will make my baked french toast for everyone but the gluten free person - 1 individual made with soy**. Serve either bacon or sausage on the side for those that eat meat and eggs on the side for those that don't and eggs and meat for the gluten free. That seems like the best plan.
** Mort - thanks for telling me about the possibility of soy issues, I had forgotten about that!

catlady said:
Yes, seems like all allergies. Some - like the gluten free & the milk/cheese, went in great detail about what they can & can not eat due to the issue. This was all in emails with the confirmation. (Gluten was in the reservation notes to make sure we were able to accommodate). The egg one I wonder about, as he told me on check-in last night. He said that he is not quite sure what it is but he has started having stomach issues when he eats eggs - where eggs are the main part of the dish. I made him a potato/sausage pie (my own recipe) which has eggs in it, but does not have an egg consistancy when cooked (less than 1 egg per serving). He loved it! I told him to let me know if that was more egg than he should eat. He just came in and said no problems.
I know the peach, kiwi, nut and grapes are all allergy related - they stayed with me last year and I still remember the stories. Still, those are the easy ones!
I think I will make my baked french toast for everyone but the gluten free person - 1 individual made with soy**. Serve either bacon or sausage on the side for those that eat meat and eggs on the side for those that don't and eggs and meat for the gluten free. That seems like the best plan.
** Mort - thanks for telling me about the possibility of soy issues, I had forgotten about that!
I just advised another friend who had a lovely, long email about what could not be eaten and what specialty foods were REQUIRED, to email the guest in question and ask point blank WHAT DO YOU EAT? Not this 'need protein but no cholesterol, love nuts but no salt and would really like edible flowers' crap.
FOOD...WHAT DO YOU EAT??? And we will pick ONE of those items and make it for you. PERIOD.
When guests start specifying particular brand names of foods they want, they can buy their own. Sorry, totally off your topic, but really it is part of the food topic.

A little late to the game, but just an FYI. Many people who can't eat "gluten" have celiac. My SIL has that, and although she's tall and thin, if she breaks the diet her stomach swells and she looks 8 months pregnant - very painful. She can rarely eat 'safely' without running an inquiry with the cook. For example, it's not only wheat, but nitrates (bacon), most cheeses, some icing sugar (!), etc. That being said, she's a reasonable person and when she travels she brings her own food!!!

Back