is it just me?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Playing with the new gadget trying to download apps and finding they all want my firstborn. Every one of them wants to know where I am, access to my contacts list and the one that tracks your calories for you says it can use the camera without my permission.
What is up with that?

What did you get? I have not had that problem. I put up with a few commercials on some apps, but not obtrusive. I am still waiting for me i phone to arrive.

What did you get? I have not had that problem. I put up with a few commercials on some apps, but not obtrusive. I am still waiting for me i phone to arrive..
I got the Nexus 7. I have already had a video chat with grandkids, signed up for the NYT online and downloaded 3 books to read. Next up is adding the Amazon Kindle app so I can get more books and magazines.
And all this with the girl behind the counter saying I should really get the Kindle because the Nexus would be over my head. Oh to be 19 and in charge of the world again.
I was reading everything the app is allowed to do. I mentioned it to a friend and she explained that the calorie counter does not access my gmail contacts but the contacts I add to the calorie counter app. OK, that's different. But one of the permissions is that the camera can operate without my authorization. Not a fan of that. I think they could explain it better.

What did you get? I have not had that problem. I put up with a few commercials on some apps, but not obtrusive. I am still waiting for me i phone to arrive..
I got the Nexus 7. I have already had a video chat with grandkids, signed up for the NYT online and downloaded 3 books to read. Next up is adding the Amazon Kindle app so I can get more books and magazines.
And all this with the girl behind the counter saying I should really get the Kindle because the Nexus would be over my head. Oh to be 19 and in charge of the world again.
I was reading everything the app is allowed to do. I mentioned it to a friend and she explained that the calorie counter does not access my gmail contacts but the contacts I add to the calorie counter app. OK, that's different. But one of the permissions is that the camera can operate without my authorization. Not a fan of that. I think they could explain it better.
Madeleine said:
Lol.... did she offer to help you down the steps and into your car as well?
regular_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
regular_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
regular_smile.gif
I think she was afraid it was catching so she stayed as far away as possible.

We noticed all the "permissions" on apps when dh got his tablet also. You can blame Google, Microsoft....whomever.

I love my Nexus.
Here are a few apps that can help with your business...
Meraki Wifi Stumbler, lets you see your signal strength on your wifi.
Prey - If it's stolen, it will help get it back
JuiceDefender - Helps extend the battery life

Madeleine said:
This actually turns out to be untrue. The app actually DOES read my email contact list. There are people on that list I don't even know. Must just add anyone who is in a dist list in an email I reply to. Something else to figure out...how to get rid of all those people I don't know!

Madeleine said:
This actually turns out to be untrue. The app actually DOES read my email contact list. There are people on that list I don't even know. Must just add anyone who is in a dist list in an email I reply to. Something else to figure out...how to get rid of all those people I don't know!
If you are using Gmail, it's on the right, click the pull down menu that says Gmail and choose contacts.
Also, you may want to change the automatic adding of people. See http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=8933

Madeleine said:
just click on the contact list then you can just choose and delete the ones you don't want. It imported all my bookmarks etc from Chrome.

It's just you..
Proud Texan said:
It's just you.
I've been resisting an overwhelming urge to write that, PT, but feared getting my hand slapped. Folks here don't always appreciate my little attempts at humor! (Granted, what's funny to me is often not all that funny to others!)

Back