Is It Okay If My Luggage is Strewn All Over the Floor?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Ugh! Really. You can't manage to put your luggage on the two luggage racks in the room. The best place is to put it on the floor and open it? Not the wooden table? No where but the floor?
I had to pick the suitcases off the floor and put them on luggage racks and away for them. Maybe I should start to actually unpack my guests luggage, fold their clothing and put it on the shelves.
And a cable across the floor for someone to trip on? Just what I need, workers compensation down my neck for an unsafe workplace.
Is it just me, or do you get people who think that luggage open across the floor is normal, safe and effective way of using luggage?

This could be a STUMP THE INNKEEPER MOMENT
Let me be the first to guess, 19 year olds? Duffle bags?

I get that all the time, but I just leave it. I figure it's their pig sty room, as long as it's not damaging something I leave it. I will not clean over, around or under it though!

This is my DH. He never uses the luggage racks and I always close the suitcase before we exit the room so housekeeping doesn't kill themselves. Me, OTOH? I spend much of my vacation with my foot in his suitcase!
However, we see it here all the time. And I do mean ALL the time. I just got rid of VERY large & sturdy luggage racks that usually held a lone sock or empty chips bag. In spite of these luggage racks actually being able to hold a couple of decent suitcases, the suitcases were always on the floor.
I have replaced the really sturdy luggage racks with those wobbly ones you find at hotels. Finally, someone is using them. My guess? The had no idea the big wooden thing in the room was where the luggage went.

I get that all the time, but I just leave it. I figure it's their pig sty room, as long as it's not damaging something I leave it. I will not clean over, around or under it though!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I get that all the time, but I just leave it. I figure it's their pig sty room, as long as it's not damaging something I leave it. I will not clean over, around or under it though!
Me, too. I might close the suitcase if that's possible, but otherwise I assume the guest likes what they have created.

My mom and dad run a b&b, and the last guests they had were sooo tidy ... you wouldn't even know anyone was using the room. They even made up their own bed and not a crease was to be seen. They even gave my parents a bouquet flowers when they left.

Let me be the first to guess, 19 year olds? Duffle bags?.
Nope. Mother and Daughter. Here, it means that the housekeeper can refuse to clean the room, that the worker safety board can cite me and increase my insurance rate, etc. The floor must be kept as passable as can be.
I moved the suitcases and put everything away neatly and explained to the guest the regulations, if they want housekeeping. If they don't, it's fine. Just don't expect clean towels, sheets, empty garbage, etc.

Nope. Mother and Daughter. Here, it means that the housekeeper can refuse to clean the room, that the worker safety board can cite me and increase my insurance rate, etc. The floor must be kept as passable as can be.
I moved the suitcases and put everything away neatly and explained to the guest the regulations, if they want housekeeping. If they don't, it's fine. Just don't expect clean towels, sheets, empty garbage, etc.
Too bad none of that applies to the owners! If it did, and if it was in force here, I'd get out of cleaning 50% of the rooms!

I leave mine open on the floor when we go away however I always say just fill up the tea tray and don't bother doing anything else - I know how much work goes into housekeeping and for something I am not bothered about I am not going to make the girl who probably has 17 more rooms to do, do mine for nothing.

Too bad none of that applies to the owners! If it did, and if it was in force here, I'd get out of cleaning 50% of the rooms!
... do they know it's you? Talk about yourself as the housekeeper in third person. I had to move your suitcases because the housekeeper could refuse... doesn't say you have one at all... just that if you did, they could refuse :)

Leaving luggage on the floor is a great way to pick up bed bugs. I never put any luggage on the bed or the floor. It all goes on racks or on counters/tables. I'm pretty paranoid about bringing them back home!

Back