Is it rude not to respond?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Or am I being too picky?
Guest reviewed us and gave us low marks for one aspect of their stay. (Otherwise the review was ok.) I emailed them directly, thanked them for the review, and asked if there was something we could do to raise the rating for that aspect. No response.
I think, if you take the time to run something down, you should respond to a query for suggestions to improve. But that's just me.

They probably felt awkward about not giving you top ratings. I always figure that anyone who gives us less than perfect ratings has no intention of returning and so they have nothing to gain personally by putting anymore time or thought into a follow up e-mail.

Either surprised that you knew who they were and was then embarrassed or they were not happy with ? but have no idea how to make it better. Some just have to complain about something. If you don't get a reply and don't feel there is anything to improve on, let it go as the later.

i agree with the embarrassed guest idea. they don't want to tell you.

I agree too...they don't want to respond and verify to you that they are the reviewer. Most folks want to remain anonymous on review sites, regardless if the review was positive or not. I know that I do.

Heres' my take on not wanting someone to know who you are on a review...don't give your name and city! And don't use your own photo!

I did a yelp review once and was very positive about the restaurant. I had mentioned one food item I had a little issue with. The restaurant owner emailed me and it really took me by surprise. Made me feel like my privacy had been invaded.
I never responded back.

Heres' my take on not wanting someone to know who you are on a review...don't give your name and city! And don't use your own photo!.
haha...that's funny...and TRUE!
omg_smile.gif

I did a yelp review once and was very positive about the restaurant. I had mentioned one food item I had a little issue with. The restaurant owner emailed me and it really took me by surprise. Made me feel like my privacy had been invaded.
I never responded back..
Breakfast Diva said:
I never responded back.
So, for all the social media experts who say we should contact the reviewer we should make sure that attempt to contact is only on the review page itself. I never go back to a review once I've written it so I would never know.

Every time I see the mgmt response that says, 'I wish they would have told us that in person,' I think of some of the places I've stayed where the list of complaints was as long as my arm...do they really want to know the tub is clogged and doesn't drain? And the bed has a big sag in the middle so that even alone I was rolling up and down hill all night? And that I could hear them banging around in the kitchen at 5 AM? And that I was very uncomfortable with NO lock on my door? And that I slid down their ice covered walkway in the dark because there were no lights on and they didn't bother to sand the walkway?
Or the innkeeper who chewed our ears off and made us feel that if we didn't love them we were the only ones who didn't?
Maybe there were just SO many things wrong with that one aspect that they just gave up! (And here's another problem...they stayed at another place in town for a lot less money the night before. THAT set the price bar for them. So even tho our rates were $50-$100 less than other places, we were more than the motel.)

I never responded back..
see this is what I see as the issue - ie they never consider for a moment that you will read it and or know who they are.
Saw one review _ I forget where for - reviewer states how nice the innkeeper was and thats why they couldn't tell her all the tiny problems with the room ie no bin in the bathroom and so on. So instead put them all on tripadviser for all to see! surely if she was so nice a polite email in private would have been the way to go.

According to TA you may have crossed the line as I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that the reviews are private/anon and that you are not supposed to contact them off the site, only on the site? With a Mgmt Resp.

According to TA you may have crossed the line as I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that the reviews are private/anon and that you are not supposed to contact them off the site, only on the site? With a Mgmt Resp..
Never thought about that. I could have sent the same email thru TA tho. (But, what can they do to me, remove my listing?)

TA does encourage you to write a management response, and they have guidelines that "prohibit" you from using personal information that might identify guests in your response, but they have no control over what you do outside their site.
Those who post reviews must know that their "handle" is displayed with the review, and should realize that they are not necessarily anonymous (especially if they are reviewing a smaller property).

Heres' my take on not wanting someone to know who you are on a review...don't give your name and city! And don't use your own photo!.
Madeleine said:
Heres' my take on not wanting someone to know who you are on a review...don't give your name and city! And don't use your own photo!
really!!!!

According to TA you may have crossed the line as I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that the reviews are private/anon and that you are not supposed to contact them off the site, only on the site? With a Mgmt Resp..
I think you are prohibited from asking them to remove it, incentiving the removal or tampering. Asking to help improve for the future isn't a violation as far as I know.

I just got notified that I had a management response to a glowing 5 star review that I wrote recently. The response is as long as my review. Huh?

I just got notified that I had a management response to a glowing 5 star review that I wrote recently. The response is as long as my review. Huh?.
depends on what they have said! I use any new review as an opportunity to tell people about what renovations we have finished and what is coming up so the responses tend to be out of proprtion to the review!

Back