Is it safe to leave the bike there?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Another question from the same guests.
They ask, We have our bicycle on the top of our car, is it okay to leave it there?
Me, Uh, if you want to.
Them, Will it be safe there?
Me, I have no way of answering that.
They will bring it in through the gate this evening and leave it near the house.
Funny the questions people ask. I am not a criminal, so I have no idea if someone is out on the prowl to steal a bicycle built for two. This being a safe town cannot guarantee that someone from another town is not staying here.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

That's a tough one for us, too. Guests want to know if their things are safe in the car. I tell them to lock the doors. We do have a spot to put the bikes if they want.

I just thought it funny, I lived in big city here and overseas and there is no way of telling when someone will break in or steal your stuff, so you just take precautions.
BTW did you get your new key pad lock yet?

I just thought it funny, I lived in big city here and overseas and there is no way of telling when someone will break in or steal your stuff, so you just take precautions.
BTW did you get your new key pad lock yet?.
There's always a story with us...hubs asked me this morning before I left what time the UPS guy comes. I said 'early afternoon.' Now, give that some thought...what does 'early afternoon' mean to you? When I called him earlier he said, 'I can't believe it. I went to the post office at 1 and when I got back there was a note that the UPS guy had been there. I was gone for 5 minutes!'
So, the short answer is no, not yet, probably tomorrow.

We had a case a couple years back (keep in mind we are in a VERY small town and we are WAY off the beaten track. DW heard a car out beyond our driveway, okay the dog heard it first, and DW felt the dog growling on the bed. I go out to the front window and turn on the outside light and notice a guest's car's dome light on. With that a car we couldn't see at first comes to light and drives off. I go out to see what was going on. Somebody had stopped to try to steal the satelite radio from the car. Me turning the light on scared them before they got a chance to get the antenna free.
Before that I always told people things were safe....now I tell them to lock their doors. Nothing like the Sherriff showing up at breakfast to take a report to give the guests something to chat about that morning....no gaps in the conversation that day ;)
I guess the way to say it is, "should be safe is never a guarantee of safety".

We get asked that question a lot! So far there has not been a problem. Since we are less than a block from the police station and the cops drive past here at all hours possiblly helps. Usually we encourage them to bring the bikes up on the porch.

I agree... we are a very safe, smallish town, but bikes can go whenever there's kids to spot them.
=) Kk.

I guess my reply would be first, "What would you usually do??" Then, after they thought on that, I would say, "I have no way of knowing if anyone out on the streets late tonight might be shopping for unlocked bikes, which would be true of virtually anywhere." I mean, you never know, do you? Even in the safest of small towns, there could be some kids that want to get into mischief. Ya never know.
Good answer!

We get asked that question often as we are near the C&O Canal Path and get a lot of bikers. We have bike racks in the backyard but we do suggest people lock them to those or to their car racks. We keep a spare bike lock in the basement which came in handy when we had idiot wannabe bicyclists stay with us with $5000 bikes and no locks. They wanted to bring their bikes inside - nothing doing. I enjoy most of our bicycling guests - they are so happy to be warm (or cool) and dry for a night, but some of these people with more money than sense who decide bicycling is their next big hobby are very trying. They're like the rich people who hire sherpas to carry them up Mt. Everest.
Jeanne

We get asked that question often as we are near the C&O Canal Path and get a lot of bikers. We have bike racks in the backyard but we do suggest people lock them to those or to their car racks. We keep a spare bike lock in the basement which came in handy when we had idiot wannabe bicyclists stay with us with $5000 bikes and no locks. They wanted to bring their bikes inside - nothing doing. I enjoy most of our bicycling guests - they are so happy to be warm (or cool) and dry for a night, but some of these people with more money than sense who decide bicycling is their next big hobby are very trying. They're like the rich people who hire sherpas to carry them up Mt. Everest.
Jeanne.
$5,000 bikes to ride the C&O path? LOL! You could ride that path on a 1 speed!
=) Kk.

We had a case a couple years back (keep in mind we are in a VERY small town and we are WAY off the beaten track. DW heard a car out beyond our driveway, okay the dog heard it first, and DW felt the dog growling on the bed. I go out to the front window and turn on the outside light and notice a guest's car's dome light on. With that a car we couldn't see at first comes to light and drives off. I go out to see what was going on. Somebody had stopped to try to steal the satelite radio from the car. Me turning the light on scared them before they got a chance to get the antenna free.
Before that I always told people things were safe....now I tell them to lock their doors. Nothing like the Sherriff showing up at breakfast to take a report to give the guests something to chat about that morning....no gaps in the conversation that day ;)
I guess the way to say it is, "should be safe is never a guarantee of safety"..
We lived bush before moving here. We had a gate (which anyone could walk around if they wanted to walk down 300 yards of hill to steal something and carry it back up) and an alarm that was on every time we left and a big black lab who liked human flesh.
Being remote is almost a guarantee that someone will have no eyes on them as they break it.
Here we have people coming and going all the time. Sure someone could break it, but not as likely with the LIGHTS ON.

Jeanne.
$5,000 bikes to ride the C&O path? LOL! You could ride that path on a 1 speed!
=) Kk.
Seriously, and who doesn't invest in a decent lock for a bike like that? This guest was most unpleasant, and I think less than thrilled with his biking experience - he rode in the shuttle van the next day.
Jeanne

Jeanne.
I got a chuckle out of that one. I have actually biked the C&O....several parts of it. You get the gamut on there. Sounds like someone went to a bike shop and asked for the "best". haha! Forgot a small detail, didn't they? I have a friend who is into serious biking with her boyfriend. They will ride 50 miles like it's nothing. All their bikes (about 6 of them now) are parked in her lovely front foyer. I think she needs to build a shed ;-)

Back