Is my room ready?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I get this phone call a half hour ago. Yeah, 15 minutes after check-out. And her rez arrival time? 7 PM. C'mon people.

Theres a TA review for a hotel we know in the South West of Scotland, from someone complaining that when they arrived at 11am the room wasn't ready and the staff didn't seem to be expecting them.
I'm not surprised at that time of day. When do they think we clean rooms.

Theres a TA review for a hotel we know in the South West of Scotland, from someone complaining that when they arrived at 11am the room wasn't ready and the staff didn't seem to be expecting them.
I'm not surprised at that time of day. When do they think we clean rooms..
Today gets better still...guest returning here after being gone a month just tried to let themselves in even tho there is a large note on the door stating we are not here. So, what the hell, they're not home, let's just let ourselves in. Well, they set off the alarm instead and then they left. Right after they left another car pulled in and they want entry, too.
Cut us some slack people. We're cleaning a huge house.
If anyone gives me grief I will ask to see their confirmation and point out to them the time they stated they would be arriving.

Yuck, the dreaded Saturday check-in. Sorry Mort, I hope they don't all end up being late now, that's what always happens to us. HATE the Saturday check-ins!

Today gets better still...guest returning here after being gone a month just tried to let themselves in even tho there is a large note on the door stating we are not here. So, what the hell, they're not home, let's just let ourselves in. Well, they set off the alarm instead and then they left. Right after they left another car pulled in and they want entry, too.
If anyone gives me grief I will ask to see their confirmation and point out to them the time they stated they would be arriving.
Would you like to borrow my room cleaing magic wand!!!
SOmeone recenlty arrived during the afternoon while we were out was maoning that they had to wait for us to get back. After they'd gone out for dinner I found they'd left their confirmation letter in the hall, so I drew a big circle in red pen around the part that says "Check-in is normally after 4.30 unless you notify us in advance.....etc" and put it on full view on the dressing table in their room. Wasn't mentioned again.
Just noticed your signature, made me chuckle.

Yuck, the dreaded Saturday check-in. Sorry Mort, I hope they don't all end up being late now, that's what always happens to us. HATE the Saturday check-ins!.
Rupert said:
Yuck, the dreaded Saturday check-in. Sorry Mort, I hope they don't all end up being late now, that's what always happens to us. HATE the Saturday check-ins!
Whole house check-out today AND tomorrow.

Would you like to borrow my room cleaing magic wand!!!
SOmeone recenlty arrived during the afternoon while we were out was maoning that they had to wait for us to get back. After they'd gone out for dinner I found they'd left their confirmation letter in the hall, so I drew a big circle in red pen around the part that says "Check-in is normally after 4.30 unless you notify us in advance.....etc" and put it on full view on the dressing table in their room. Wasn't mentioned again.
Just noticed your signature, made me chuckle.
so I drew a big circle in red pen around the part
Ooooh...cheeky aren't you. I am sure I wouldn't mention it either.
embaressed_smile.gif

What annoyes me is that they ring and ask for early check in at say 10am and I say well check out is 11 so the absolute earliest we can guarantee an early check in is 11.30 they are totally surprised that I am not chucking the previous people out the door. I suggest they pay for the previous night to guarantee it is free and that shuts them up!

i just don't know how anyone is able to do this.
if breakfast 'ends' at 10, all the washing up and checkout going on... assuming you've been up since outrageous o'clock eating your bowl of cereal and preparing the guest breakfast and then serving the guest breakfast, you've now got to blast into the room vacated precisely at 11, assuming all other guests are out the door or not needing your assistance and get that room flipped and ready for the early check-in.
if guests want the early check-in so they can get settled, stash their stuff and head out it was sometimes do-able. i wasn't able to accommodate this very often. when i did ... the room was no way ready and they could just check-in and go right out again. sometimes, they wanted to take a shower or rest up or hang out and it just wasn't feasible.

Yup but I charge less if they book it LOL if they ring up and say could we please have say a 12am check in due to going to a wedding at 1pm that is fine as I can set up what room they are in so it is one of the first done or hasn't been used the night before. If they just turn up and inconvenience me then and it doesn't happen to be ready then it is tough. It is slightly different as I have a housekeeper who comes at 10am on a sat and 9 on a week day so depending on what people have gone she does those rooms to start then I let her know as people go. We have a chart with collumns so I tick the box as people leave so she is all set. On week days most people are here for work or a conference and tend to be out by 9.30. Some people just want to park up and get on to whatever they are doing which is fine with me as the parking system round where I am is very conplicated with disks and permits and things.

What annoyes me is that they ring and ask for early check in at say 10am and I say well check out is 11 so the absolute earliest we can guarantee an early check in is 11.30 they are totally surprised that I am not chucking the previous people out the door. I suggest they pay for the previous night to guarantee it is free and that shuts them up!.
What annoyes me is that they ring and ask for early check in at say 10am and I say well check out is 11 so the absolute earliest we can guarantee an early check in is 11.30 they are totally surprised that I am not chucking the previous people out the door. I suggest they pay for the previous night to guarantee it is free and that shuts them up!
I am going to suggest this if I hear about early check-in when they book. EVERYONE got here early yesterday.

What annoyes me is that they ring and ask for early check in at say 10am and I say well check out is 11 so the absolute earliest we can guarantee an early check in is 11.30 they are totally surprised that I am not chucking the previous people out the door. I suggest they pay for the previous night to guarantee it is free and that shuts them up!.
You're a better person than I am. I couldn't guarantee an early check-in by 11:30. You know, check-out is 11 AM but then they loiter and chat with someone and so on & on. And most of our rooms couldn't be cleaned in just a half an hour.
And every single time that I busted my butt to accommodate an early check-in, they were NEVER here early like they said. "Oh, we just decided to go ahead and grab some lunch" or "we decided to stop at such and such a place on our way from the airport".
Or it amazed me that people would say, "We got here at 1 o'clock but the door was LOCKED!" dur....we aren't hotels with lobbies with 24 hour desk staff.

Seems everyone wants to push that envelope. They want to squeeze every drop of time they can for the $ they pay. It is another bullet in the "MeMeMe" planet that we are living in today.
Maybe to get our point across is to say, 'Well looking at my notes, the guests coming in when you check out would like to check in at 10am, so athough check out is stated at 11, please be out by 9 so we can prepare for the next guest.' - Well nice thought anyway
embaressed_smile.gif

Yup but I charge less if they book it LOL if they ring up and say could we please have say a 12am check in due to going to a wedding at 1pm that is fine as I can set up what room they are in so it is one of the first done or hasn't been used the night before. If they just turn up and inconvenience me then and it doesn't happen to be ready then it is tough. It is slightly different as I have a housekeeper who comes at 10am on a sat and 9 on a week day so depending on what people have gone she does those rooms to start then I let her know as people go. We have a chart with collumns so I tick the box as people leave so she is all set. On week days most people are here for work or a conference and tend to be out by 9.30. Some people just want to park up and get on to whatever they are doing which is fine with me as the parking system round where I am is very conplicated with disks and permits and things..
I had just run outside to change our sign this morning to show 'vacancy' before we started cleaning and the door bell started ringing immediately. Tough to turn people away so I had to just show them the website so they could see the room photos as every room was a strip and who knows what the last guest left behind!

Yup but I charge less if they book it LOL if they ring up and say could we please have say a 12am check in due to going to a wedding at 1pm that is fine as I can set up what room they are in so it is one of the first done or hasn't been used the night before. If they just turn up and inconvenience me then and it doesn't happen to be ready then it is tough. It is slightly different as I have a housekeeper who comes at 10am on a sat and 9 on a week day so depending on what people have gone she does those rooms to start then I let her know as people go. We have a chart with collumns so I tick the box as people leave so she is all set. On week days most people are here for work or a conference and tend to be out by 9.30. Some people just want to park up and get on to whatever they are doing which is fine with me as the parking system round where I am is very conplicated with disks and permits and things..
Or guess what? If you're going to a wedding, check in the day before the wedding! OH! What a novel idea! That's what we did just last weekend. And we had time to have dinner in the town after we arrived and explore a bit the next day. The wedding wasn't until 4 PM but we were driving and didn't want to arrive all exhausted so we couldn't enjoy the day. Good grief.....

We are going to a Conference that starts Tuesday and I am the one with an 8:30 meeeting. I would have just left at dark o'thirty Tuesday morning but my City Manager does not want to do that so we are going to leave tomorrow afternoon and have made rez for the 3 of us for dinner at the restaurant DH wanted to eat at while there. This way, I do not have to skip something at the Conference to keep Mr Interloper happy (he is coming because he is willing to pay for the extra room because he wants to do some painting).

Depending on how big of a mess the previous guest left, DW and I can flip a room in 45 mins to an hour. Sometimes there is carpet to be spot cleaned and paint scuffs to retouch, but we usually can have a room ready by 12:30 IF the previous guests leave by 11:00. Our lovely guests this morning left by 9:45! Yay.
Sometime we'll have people rolling in about 2 pm. wanting to check-in early. That is the absolute earliest that we will allow check-in. We've had them show up earlier, but we send them packing. Our confirmation clearly states ABSOLUTELY NO EARLY CHECK-INS.
One guy came very early and wanted to know if he could fish our pond until it was time to check-in. Really? I told him that the pond was reserved for guests and that his time as a guest did not begin until 3 pm. He didn't get mad, because he knew dang well what our check-in time was.
Another tactic that works is to say "Sure, you can check-in early.....for an additional $50.00. They very quickly find something else to do.

Depending on how big of a mess the previous guest left, DW and I can flip a room in 45 mins to an hour. Sometimes there is carpet to be spot cleaned and paint scuffs to retouch, but we usually can have a room ready by 12:30 IF the previous guests leave by 11:00. Our lovely guests this morning left by 9:45! Yay.
Sometime we'll have people rolling in about 2 pm. wanting to check-in early. That is the absolute earliest that we will allow check-in. We've had them show up earlier, but we send them packing. Our confirmation clearly states ABSOLUTELY NO EARLY CHECK-INS.
One guy came very early and wanted to know if he could fish our pond until it was time to check-in. Really? I told him that the pond was reserved for guests and that his time as a guest did not begin until 3 pm. He didn't get mad, because he knew dang well what our check-in time was.
Another tactic that works is to say "Sure, you can check-in early.....for an additional $50.00. They very quickly find something else to do..
Proud Texan said:
The tatic our early ones use is - we just will relax by the pool. - Sorry folks! If I allowed that, they would be asking for beach towels, ice and then 'well if we can't check in, where can we change'. Giving an inch only leaves room for them demanding the mile.

Another tactic that works is to say "Sure, you can check-in early.....for an additional $50.00. They very quickly find something else to do..
Proud Texan said:
The tatic our early ones use is - we just will relax by the pool. - Sorry folks! If I allowed that, they would be asking for beach towels, ice and then 'well if we can't check in, where can we change'. Giving an inch only leaves room for them demanding the mile.
What's the old saw about the camel sticking his nose into the tent? Same goes for early arrivals.

Back