Is That Review a Fake?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am now parsing my reviews! Lots of complete sentences with verbs. Rarely is the '!' seen. There are quite a lot of them, tho, where the guest tells who they were with because it plays into something else they want to say. I bet an easy 30-40% mention specifically who was here with the writer.
There is also one I would say would meet the def of a 'fake' as it is a practically word for word room description from my website.
Interesting article. I'm pretty sure my reviews are all real, but you wouldn't know it from reading them.

I was once accused (on this site) of writing my own reviews. (1) I have 2 jobs and don't have the time. (2) I am not that creative. I send an email after checkout asking guests to share their experience with others and include several links. Their choice if they do or don't.
I can't imagine that anyone who writes the occassional review on themselves would cause any major positive impact on their business, and if they have so much time on their hands to write multiple reviews, good luck to them. They will probably still have other issues.
Comparing what was written in that link to the way my guests have written reviews, sorry I have to disagree with it. Many of my reviews have those phrases or usages and I would like to know how this person determined this. So much BS on the internet.

I was once accused (on this site) of writing my own reviews. (1) I have 2 jobs and don't have the time. (2) I am not that creative. I send an email after checkout asking guests to share their experience with others and include several links. Their choice if they do or don't.
I can't imagine that anyone who writes the occassional review on themselves would cause any major positive impact on their business, and if they have so much time on their hands to write multiple reviews, good luck to them. They will probably still have other issues.
Comparing what was written in that link to the way my guests have written reviews, sorry I have to disagree with it. Many of my reviews have those phrases or usages and I would like to know how this person determined this. So much BS on the internet..
we've touched on the fake review before ... just recently ... and i wasn't able to figure which was the fake and which was the real review.
i assume most reviews are real with an occasional fake but i really am not concerned about it.
i tend to look at review sites now from the other side ... but i look at the general percentage of positives or stars and only might read a few actual reviews. i will scroll down to a negative to see what the issue was ... sometimes the negative comments seem totally unfair and unwarranted. sometimes one review will be so different from most of the others, i wonder how that happened.
sometimes an innkeeper response makes me want to stay ... or makes me want to stay away!

I just did a check on my reviews. Most - at least 74% said who they were traveling with and used 'I'. About the same used the ! at least once - usually at the end. There were at least 2 that, according to the article, would be singled out as FAKE like a commercial - could not have done better myself. And several not only mentioned the B&B name but complete name, one repeated it again at the end.

I looked at the article and then my reviews and many of them would be flagged as fake and I know they aren't! "My husband and I" are on a couple of them, "!" are on a couple of them, the B&B name are in a few of them, really and very are in them. UGH. I think this fake review spotting is bogus.
The ones I see are fake are more the SUBJECT or TITLE
"DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!!!!" or "STAY AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!!" these are the fake ones, these ax to grind reviews, and then putting comments that are derogatory vs descriptive.

I looked at the article and then my reviews and many of them would be flagged as fake and I know they aren't! "My husband and I" are on a couple of them, "!" are on a couple of them, the B&B name are in a few of them, really and very are in them. UGH. I think this fake review spotting is bogus.
"DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!!!!" or "STAY AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!!" these are the fake ones, these ax to grind reviews, and then putting comments that are derogatory vs descriptive..
Joey Bloggs said:
I think this fake review spotting is bogus.
"DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!!!!" or "STAY AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!!" these are the fake ones, these ax to grind reviews, and then putting comments that are derogatory vs descriptive.
You are right JB - the one I have is NOT descriptive at all and never mentions the room or breakfast in the review. On top of everything they mentioned the stay was the previous year. TA would not remove it so a mgr reply was the only method. Getting buried.

Interesting, probably unintentional, semi-rebuttal/proof to the comments about the use of 'my husband & I' in the reviews:
http://www.slate.com/id/2301859/pagenum/all/
Especially this: Liars, apparently, trade in simple, straightforward statements lacking in specificity because—Pennebaker posits—it's actually pretty difficult to make stuff up. They avoid self-reference because they don't feel ownership of their expressed views.

I have a new review and for the first time... I don't know who posted it! It's a great review. But even I have to admit that if I didn't know my own morality that I would think it's a fake. I had one idea when the person said "discretion" and then they said "our" and I'm completely lost, again.... and while typing this out, it finally occured to me who it was!
Okay, so I have had that aha moment and now realize from their username who this is! Yeah, I feel better and now I can send them a thank you note!

I have little faith in this system for spotting fake reviews. Most of my reviews would be deemed fake by them, and they are not. Some people take reviews very seriously as they know it will impact the business or consider themselves travel experts and list a lot of detail. They almost always say "my husband and I" and they always say the name of our business and where we are located.
Riki

Same thing for us. 99% of our reviews would be labeled fake by this new program. Our reviews tend to be very personal and use a lot of adjectives. Almost always they use our names and the name of our b&b.
Let's just hope this stupid program does not become mainstream!

Back