Is the heat affecting your reservations?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Just curious, is this unusual heatwave across most of the U.S. affecting your reservations? Ours seem to have slowed down considerably because we are geared more to the outdoor enthusiast and it's too dang hot to be outdoors.
We have seen and upsurge of midweek reservations (mostly one-nighters), which we can't explain.

we have the other end of it - won't stop raining! people are worried about flooding

Full, full, full.....everybody loves the beach in this heat! Put the answering machine on a short ring with message that we are full. Love it!
Edited to add: Temps are in the 80's here in coastal NE. I suppose if they were in the triple digits even the beach would be too hot. We get a lot of southerners at this time of year! LOL

Full, full, full.....everybody loves the beach in this heat! Put the answering machine on a short ring with message that we are full. Love it!
Edited to add: Temps are in the 80's here in coastal NE. I suppose if they were in the triple digits even the beach would be too hot. We get a lot of southerners at this time of year! LOL.
Still, it is about 10 degrees warmer here than usual for this time of year. But, most travelers are coming from somewhere in the triple digits so they're happy with 85!

My one wish for you today who are enduring triple digits...https://twitter.com/InnkeeperVA/status/219422950242263041/photo/1/large.
regular_smile.gif
right now...but then when we get it this winter we won't feel the same. Stay cool everyone!

no inn, so can't comment about guests. I'm in coastal new england too, town is right on the ocean, but we have been in 90's every day. Sorry for those suffering

No change here. I tell folks, "Tell me what you are looking for and I know where to find it in West Virginia - except an ocean. We are a little short of ocean."
I have no ocean, no mountains (I am in the foothills of the mountains), and am 6+ miles west of the Interstate I have no trends.

The heat's not affecting us but the storm and its aftermath sure are. We had some cancellations yesterday but booked those two rooms with locals seeking relief and the phone rang until 2:30 a.m. with people looking for rooms. Since we had a late checkin I took the phone to bed, so it wasn't a fun night. One couple extended through tonight because their neighborhood in DC is still without power. It will be an interesting week if the power stays out.

The heat's not affecting us but the storm and its aftermath sure are. We had some cancellations yesterday but booked those two rooms with locals seeking relief and the phone rang until 2:30 a.m. with people looking for rooms. Since we had a late checkin I took the phone to bed, so it wasn't a fun night. One couple extended through tonight because their neighborhood in DC is still without power. It will be an interesting week if the power stays out..
muirford said:
The heat's not affecting us but the storm and its aftermath sure are. We had some cancellations yesterday but booked those two rooms with locals seeking relief and the phone rang until 2:30 a.m. with people looking for rooms. Since we had a late checkin I took the phone to bed, so it wasn't a fun night. One couple extended through tonight because their neighborhood in DC is still without power. It will be an interesting week if the power stays out.
Wow.
I have the phone message now stating open for rooms today (any time they want them) but state no pets and no kids, only two people per room. That eliminates probably most people who are calling. Also the price is stated on the phone message.
I know people who are sneaking their pets into hotels (I would probably do the same thing). I have visions of people letting others in to use the shower here and cool off, so I have to be pretty firm at this time. Meanwhile the shelters (ie middle school gym with a/c) are empty.
Roanoke has over half the city in the dark still, and Lynchburg is totally out of ice. The whole area is having a hard time. We are supposed to take youngest to a camp (weeklong) in the mountains and they are not answering phone, prob no power, and no one has called so will have to drive out there and find out. It is not too far, but the roads may be blocked. In nearby City the traffic lights are all out and people are running the 4-way stops and causing accidents.
Pretty weird week now and ahead. Half of our 35 state parks had to evacuate campers, they are camping under the trees, and have no power there to boot. Trees fell and/or were tossed onto boats in marinas.
So the short answer is yes the record triple digit heat is affecting us in weird ways. Only one room has water damage here, so we are good to go. But the a/c is not on icy up there, it can only cool so much, 75-78 is the best it can do running full bore.

Here in the NW, we've had to enduring the rain and cool. Our high today is 60 and overcast...oh, and raining. Not the torrential kind of rain, the sprinkle, mist, gloomy all day, all night, every day kind of stuff. We're all sick of it. Given what you folks are going through in the south and east, I'll take the rain. July bookings are down a bit, but I don't know that I can blame the weather for that. I think a lot more people are waiting for the last minute to book.

It seems to be affecting the guests...6 people showed up at 10:30 AM. Rang the bell and told me they were leaving the cars. Someone else rang the bell at 8:30 AM because they thought we served breakfast. 'It says 'breakfast' on your website. If you don't want people coming to the door you should say that on your website!'
Do I really have to state on the website that we are not a restaurant? I will give them that they were very young and probably had no idea what a B&B was. But they were also jamming on the door trying to get in. Door is locked. Not a bad idea given today.

We have just barely reached the triple digits, but our humidity is very high, which make it miserable outside. Although, I got out on the tractor yesterday and mowed early and it wasn't too bad.

It's been 95+ but with the humidity the heat index is 105+ here in PA but we have our AC cranking and when we give tours, the guests feel how nice it is inside and almost always book for the night.

It's miserable here, and I think it has hurt occupancy a little. On the other hand, we had the best June ever at the river cottages. Luckily our river flows out of a huge spring about 20 miles north of us, and the water stays a consistent 57 degrees year round, no matter how hot or how cold it is outside. People drag lawn chairs out into the water and sit down in shin-deep water and it's just perfect. The air just above water level is ideal.
So we're surviving, even thriving!

If we were still in business, the heat would be affecting our business...more so than usual. This time of year our business was nil. Really totally off until right after Labor Day. People escape to go to the beach or mountains and there is very little going on here in our city. That may all change when a big water experience is completed, but I honestly believe that folks will still travel to where the weather is either cooler or they have the benefit of ocean breezes.
regular_smile.gif

Back